Young Justice Targets: Q&A with Chris Jones & Greg Weisman! June 14, 2pm PT!

GW: We have plans for where we’re going for most of our storylines. But Darseid Is…

6 Likes

GW: Harper and Cullen were filled in when they moved in with foster parents Lucas and Bethany. Wendy figured it out. I’m not going to go into any more detail than that, because we might want to SHOW those scenes some day.

6 Likes

CJ: It was amazing getting to see characters we introduced (the YJ versions at least) in the comic make their way into the TV show. With the characters from the Atlantis arc especially, those characters had to be aged up in adapting them for the TV show, and I got to help update the design for Ronal specifically! I’d love to see more “cross-pollination” between the TV show and comic if they both continue!

6 Likes

GW: We always include at least one song per season. And Chris and Kristopher Carter and I produced a YJ RadioPlay at CONvergence convention one year that was a full-on musical. (You can find it on YouTube.) As for doing an actual musical episode of the show, I’d be game, but Brandon Vietti and I would have to find a valid reason - beyond just “Hey, wouldn’t this be fun (though a pain) to produce!” to make it actually fit into our fairly realistic Earth-16.

5 Likes

That makes perfect sense! Thank you!

4 Likes

GW: All of it, really. Keep in mind that plan was broad strokes. It wasn’t about little details. So we didn’t tweak anything on that broad strokes level based on the long hiatus.

7 Likes

GW: Personally, I haven’t been invited to any upcoming conventions anywhere, so… nope, I won’t be appearing. And I’d be willing to do as many comics as DC’ll let us do. REALLY, TRULY not worried about running out of stories.

CJ: I’m hoping to get to New York Comic Con this year. Between the pandemic and my schedule since moving to Los Angeles to work for Warner Brothers Animation I haven’t been able to get to a convention in a couple of years and I really miss getting to see fans!

And I’d always be down for more Young Justice comics if I could fit them into my schedule. I love these characters and never tire of helping tell their stories.

5 Likes

GW: On Earth-16, Hal is actually a tad older than Clark and Bruce. But, really, the decision to have him be a bit gray at the temples was the choice of our original lead character designer and 3rd Season Art Director, Phil Bourassa. He suggested it, and Brandon Vietti and I said, sure.

4 Likes

GW: Who says he’s returning? :wink:

8 Likes

GW: Yes. In Young Justice: Targets! Keep reading!

7 Likes

Hi Greg and Chris been a fan for awhile and I was wondering if you had any involvement in the two games made for the cartoon network website based on YJ and what are your thoughts on them

5 Likes

GW: I have no idea, but I hope so. It was designed to be the first story in a trilogy of tales. We’ll just have to wait and see…

6 Likes

GW: Thanks. We’re always trying to increase the show’s representation on multiple fronts. We know how important it is to our fans. It’s important to us, as well.

8 Likes

CJ: There’s a lot of overlap - it’s still drawing superheroes and visual storytelling. But instead of planning for movement in a static frame, you’re creating sequential art and having to figure out how to fit everything onto a page and allow room for dialog and make sure that the composition leads the eye across all the elements of the page in the correct order…there are a lot of differences!

GW: It’s not really all that different for me. It’s just about striving to tell stories in shorter chunks. A standard-length comic book issue is about the equivalent of 1/3 of an animated episode. And each page of a comic book needs to tell a mini-story of it’s own. Beyond that, I also need to keep in mind that I won’t have my voice cast to fall back upon, etc. And no ACTUAL movement, just the implication of movement. So I just have to remind myself to cover my bases differently.

8 Likes

GW: No spoilers. (Assuming we get a next season.)

6 Likes

GW: Who says you haven’t seen him? :wink:

7 Likes

CJ: Thanks for all the questions and thanks for supporting the show and the comic. We’d very much love to do more if there’s enough support for it!

GW: Out of time. But thanks for asking your questions. Hope you enjoyed the answers. Meanwhile, #KeepBingingYJ and READ #YoungJusticeTargets to help us #SaveEarth16!

8 Likes

Thanks for all your questions, friends! Sorry we couldn’t get to them all–but hopefully we’ll see you all at the next Q&A! :batparrot:

5 Likes

-_- kinda wondering why my question got passed over when I was around the fourth person to ask. ya, it was a half rant but I really wanted to know why Damian was used instead of helena when she would have worked in this series given its time skips.

3 Likes

Thanks for answering.

The show definitely has made him one of my favorite villains. And cool that even with such a big role not everything ties to him.

Thanks for stopping by :+1:.

3 Likes