Young Justice Targets: Q&A with Chris Jones & Greg Weisman! June 14, 2pm PT!

GW: These are ideas which Brandon Vietti and I have had for some time…We’re finally getting around to “portraying” them in Targets.

6 Likes

GW: YES!

CJ: Obviously that would be dependent on their being future seasons to appear in (#SaveEarth16), but we’ve already had characters from the previous tie-in comics make their way into the TV show, so it could certainly happen again!

7 Likes

GW: Ma’alefa’ak downloaded English to their minds!

6 Likes

GW: There are always characters that we want to devote more screen or page time to. Always. As for the back-ups, the first one focuses on Red Arrow. As for the other five… wait and see!

5 Likes

GW: If you don’t ask, you can’t get an answer! :wink: We’ll always pay attention to the so-called OGs. But each season is intentionally different from past seasons. But the best way to show growth in the characters is to have earlier seasons’ versions of those characters to compare them to.

6 Likes

GW: Vandal’s historic history, going back 50K years made the idea of putting him up against young heroes extremely appealing to Brandon Vietti and myself. But that doesn’t guarantee that he’s involved with EVERY story. So I’m not going to reveal whether he is or isn’t involved in Targets. No spoilers!

5 Likes

GW: The former, if I’m reading your question correctly.

6 Likes

CJ: Look closely at the pages of the second issue of YJ Targets for the answer to your question…

GW: There’s an Easter egg there just waiting to hatch…

7 Likes

CJ: It’s been only a short time since the conclusion of Young Justice Season 4, so the designs and outfits are pretty much unchanged since Phantoms, but you ABSOLUTELY WILL be seeing some new characters in upcoming issues.

6 Likes

Given the focus in the Mars arc on how Megan sees herself, what was her reasoning to have a human skin tone in the wedding?

4 Likes

GW: We wanted to go with 1938 Superman powers. Powers that were simply an extension and expansion of what a human could do. So Infrared vision, as opposed to heat vision. Super-leaping instead of flying, etc.

7 Likes

GW: It felt like the culmination of a decade’s worth of work, honestly. You can hear Lucas choke up, and truthfully, I choke up every time I watch that wedding, especially the vows. (And, yeah, I know that sounds immodest, since I wrote them, but all credit to Danica and Nolan for voicing them with so much sincere feeling!)

7 Likes

GW: We have plans for where we’re going for most of our storylines. But Darseid Is…

6 Likes

GW: Harper and Cullen were filled in when they moved in with foster parents Lucas and Bethany. Wendy figured it out. I’m not going to go into any more detail than that, because we might want to SHOW those scenes some day.

6 Likes

CJ: It was amazing getting to see characters we introduced (the YJ versions at least) in the comic make their way into the TV show. With the characters from the Atlantis arc especially, those characters had to be aged up in adapting them for the TV show, and I got to help update the design for Ronal specifically! I’d love to see more “cross-pollination” between the TV show and comic if they both continue!

6 Likes

GW: We always include at least one song per season. And Chris and Kristopher Carter and I produced a YJ RadioPlay at CONvergence convention one year that was a full-on musical. (You can find it on YouTube.) As for doing an actual musical episode of the show, I’d be game, but Brandon Vietti and I would have to find a valid reason - beyond just “Hey, wouldn’t this be fun (though a pain) to produce!” to make it actually fit into our fairly realistic Earth-16.

5 Likes

That makes perfect sense! Thank you!

4 Likes

GW: All of it, really. Keep in mind that plan was broad strokes. It wasn’t about little details. So we didn’t tweak anything on that broad strokes level based on the long hiatus.

7 Likes

GW: Personally, I haven’t been invited to any upcoming conventions anywhere, so… nope, I won’t be appearing. And I’d be willing to do as many comics as DC’ll let us do. REALLY, TRULY not worried about running out of stories.

CJ: I’m hoping to get to New York Comic Con this year. Between the pandemic and my schedule since moving to Los Angeles to work for Warner Brothers Animation I haven’t been able to get to a convention in a couple of years and I really miss getting to see fans!

And I’d always be down for more Young Justice comics if I could fit them into my schedule. I love these characters and never tire of helping tell their stories.

5 Likes

GW: On Earth-16, Hal is actually a tad older than Clark and Bruce. But, really, the decision to have him be a bit gray at the temples was the choice of our original lead character designer and 3rd Season Art Director, Phil Bourassa. He suggested it, and Brandon Vietti and I said, sure.

4 Likes