Young Justice: Phantoms Spoilers Discussion

Klarion the Witch Boy (and Teekl) is my second-favorite DC character, so I originally started watching Young Justice to see what this show did with him. It’s a very different version compared to the comic books, but I don’t hate it. I find it fun to watch. His mind is so erratic, and so bloodthirsty, they’ve been really playing that up for season 3 and 4 so far. I was actually surprised they took it this far, but he also did a lot of weird damage last season as well.

The animation is really good and these last few episodes have looked great. I initially thought the show was sort of saving money at first by using telepathy so they wouldn’t have to animate the mouths moving. If those $$$ savings paid off by taking extra time with this arc, I’m thankful. :pray:

Loved seeing Zatanna’s whole team and I recognized them all! Seeing Khalid made me think that he eventually gets to be Dr Fate in this, although this show makes that into sort of a sacrificial position. I’ve really enjoyed that perspective over the seasons though. Zatanna wants to help free her father from Fate’s helmet because it’s clearly aging him prematurely, being a stress on his body (as shown last season). And not to mention she’s losing out on having her father in her life. Dr Fate is not a universal “good” he just represents order, and if he has to trap somebody in his hat to continue existing, he will. I’ve been really wanting to see some conclusion to the struggle.

Also the backstory with Vandal was something I’ve been craving to see ever since the Vandal-focused episode in season 3 where they mentioned that the original Dr Fate was his son. Vandal and Klarion’s relationship was an eye-opener, and I can’t wait to see where it goes.

4 Likes

Holy Moly! What an episode!

Talk about a deep cut character to feature in the show

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m getting very nervous for BB. I liked that Blue Devil tried to talk to him. But Blue Devil really needed to do better than that. (Not that I’m blaming him, but as the adult in the building he should be better aware of what is going on)

I like Zee’s squad as well. Wasn’t expecting Mary or Khalid but I am very happy to see them. I wonder what happened to Mary. She didn’t seem very happy about not being part of the Shazam family anymore.

Khalid is fun too. I know in the comics he eventually becomes Dr. Fate. So I wonder if he will do that here, so that Zee’s father can be freed.

3 Likes

So her name is literally Child? Ummm, okay I guess.

4 Likes

Khalid is destined to become Dr. Fate?! Fate seriously sucks, why can’t he just exist on his own without a vessel? How is this guy considered a hero?

3 Likes

The Zatanna arc has begun and I loved the episode. I have missed Zatanna so much, after Season 1, they pretty ignored her so I’m glad this season is focusing on the OGs because Zatanna was an OG.

It was very cool to see Mary from the Shazam Family, she had to give up being part of the superhero family? Intriguing.

3 Likes

Great start for Zatana’s ark…God, I hope John Constantine shows up even if it’s just some kind of cameo…Wait a minute -_- they gave Mary her brother SHAZAM!, originally she drew on different gods for her powers:
S: Divine Grace from Selena
H: Super strength from Hippolyta
A: Tactical Analysis from Ariadne
Z: Fleetness(super speed) from Zephyrus
A: Beauty (transformation) from Aurora (this could be changed to say Healing from Artemis giving her a different power from her brother)
M: Wisdom from Minerva
…wait grin: if she is using her brother’s SHAZAM! it seems to be implied to have made her go out of control in some way or perhaps made her Hyper-aggressive causing her to do something that she regrets. I would enjoy it if she will use her magic to change her SHAZAM! By the end of the ark or season to her own SHAZAM!.

Hmm, I am wondering how the Nightwing ark will go personally I am hoping we get some batcat in it, and Helena Wayne on the way…oh this month is the original Helena Waynes 44th birthday.

3 Likes

Yes indeed! Khalid Nassour (Prime Earth) | DC Database | Fandom

Fate is an interesting character. He’s almost like a parasite since he uses a “host” to exist in the mortal realm, and that person’s free will is taken away. I think in season 2 they said that Zatara wanted the Justice League to basically keep an eye on him.

3 Likes

E9

Very awesome™:+1: episode

Really enjoying all the magic. Make me want a JLD game.

Z’s team is very cool. Traci returns and Khalid and Mary make there appearance. Interesting with Mary touching upon her magical side. Wonder what happened to her and Billy. :thinking:There team is on a hunt and finds some grade a horror and nearly lose. Fun that it took him 16 days to escape that tower.

The Savage origin continues. Interesting how he met Klarion. Wonder what with him and Stranger.

Beast boy really seems like he’s struggling. Cool to see Blue Devil as the den mother but things aren’t looking good.

And Child and Flaw appear. Very interesting stuff. This show always with its deep cuts. Very cool.

Cool with the legion watching BB’s show at the end.

Can the team stop this Chaos? What’s Savages goal? What’s Child’s goal? All this and more Same Whelmed Time Same Whelmed channel.

3 Likes

Why is he even allowed to be on the League? Especially in this iteration, where they’ve revealed he’s Savage’s son.

4 Likes

Right! The freaking Legion! What the hell are they doing? Didn’t they have a mission?! All this time I thought they saved Conner but now I’m terrified he’s really gone!

2 Likes

Loved the set up here. Keeping Zatanna’s crew to three really lets us get to know them all better. Mary Marvel…what a nice addition! And seeing The Phantom Stranger at the end was awesome. Let’s see where this goes.

Also, depressed Gar…wow, haven’t seen that before. At least Blue Devil saved it.

4 Likes

This thread is too large to catch up on so I’m posting fresh. I guess I have mostly negative impressions of the season but I’m not hating or trolling.
I really appreciate the way the show pulls from the DCU. It feels like a full universe but I’m just not a fan of the episode structure of sticking with specific characters for a full arc (slow, slow arcs) and ignoring everything else until what I assume will be an Endgame like finale where they all come together. Good for character development but bad for short seasons that take years to air. Just give me the team or at least break up the arcs with standalone episodes between.
My main criticism is that the show is so friggin depressing. It has more melodrama than a CW tween show and episodes just feel like therapy sessions. I give them credit for trying for more than just punches and explosions, and I bet a superhero’s life would be one of trauma and heartache, but it’s just exhausting. Not helping the heaviness of the plots, the voice direction for a lot of characters seems to be “say it slow and flat and don’t forget to pause multiple times per sentence”. I just don’t feel any energy in the storytelling.

So it’s not all negative, I like the animation and even though I think it’s ultimately too drawn out, the scope of the plots is impressive.

And lastly, for all the money at WB and HBO they have one of the worst apps on the market.

4 Likes

I agree that the season has been pretty depressing. However, since we are focusing so much on the original team, it does make sense. I think Artemis said it has been ten years since they first formed that team? It makes sense for them to have a lot of rough times since then. These people have known each other for ten, or more, years and to see them losing each other hurts.

That’s why I have always liked how this show has added in so many cast members. The new faces to the team add humor, happiness and fun times, that the older team members may have lost along the way. It is nice to see that each of these original TMs have at least one semi-newbie with them in these focuses. (Beast Boy wasn’t an original. Though he wasn’t very happy this season either…)

I do agree that these focuses seem to be drawing towards a gathering at the end though. It will make it feel better. And I like how, after the Mars focus, we have gone back to seeing multiple stories at once. It makes it all feel just a bit less heavy.

But, yeah, they aren’t kids anymore. As much as I love the happy stuff, this depressing stuff does make sense, to me.

2 Likes

It definitely does, and there is value in a realistic look at their lives, but I think it could be balanced a little better because this season feels more like something to get through instead of something to enjoy.

3 Likes

I am a superhero and my life is not depressing.

4 Likes

I just can’t stand Beast Boy…at least teenaged Beast Boy. When he showed up as a kid, he was a fun addition. I love what they did having him tied to M’Gann.

Then the third season rolled around where we got angsty teenage Gar. The latter half with the Outsiders was terrible. I was right there with Superboy when he rolled us his at him (to be fair, I know that’s a callback to when he did the same thing in the first season). Then that first arc happened and we keep going back to him. Science cannot accurately measure how much I don’t care about Gar at the moment.

Now, having said that, I think it’s gonna lead to something good for Gar. It’ll take a while to get there but I hope when it happens, we get some of the old Beast Boy back. Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

Almost found the exact title of episode 7. The Lady or the Tigress. Decided to read one last 4 story arc in Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (2002’). Dwayne McDuffie on this arc. Found this in the last issue I’m reading today in #167.

Nothing in DC is done by mistake lol. Loving this season now that they finally got away from the Mars episodes. 1-2 was cool, but by 4 I was ready to move on, & get back to the 2-4 simultaneously running storylines, with multiple characters that I’ve come to expect from YJ. Loved the Zatanna episode!!! Also, extremely happy they went back & justified Madame Xanadu’s portrayal. It bugged me so bad that the only appearance she ever had, was as a charlatan/ fake palm reader, that tried to scam Kent Nelson. Couldn’t be happier they went back & rightfully depicted her as the real deal. Also, just happy she’s back on it. Only had the one scene prior & it wasn’t a good look for her. Way to go Weisman, I knew u would straighten out the Madame’s rep for everyone if they gave u enough seasons!!!

2 Likes

Well, Vandal Savage doesn’t seem too optimistic about Earth’s future if he’s evacuating his cronies to War World.

Something is up with BB. Greg W wouldn’t be giving him a bit of screen time every episode, even if he’s drugged and sleeping, unless he has a plan for him. Nice to see M’Gann and sister bonding. By the time they get to Earth the arc might be over, though I just don’t see how The Team, with a lot of help, will be able to stop “Girl” from destroying the Earth.

6 Likes

I am so happy with these episodes and I want a spin-off show featuring the magic users. I’ve seriously been waiting 2 seasons for this. ETRIGAN!!!

4 Likes