Young Justice has lost its magic

I agree.

1 Like

I canā€™t get over the level of pandering represented by halo alone. They took an eastern European character and made absolutely sure she was in a hijab. When another character points out the inconsistency with her lack of memory, Halo says it just feels right. Okay, so she deep down knows sheā€™s a Muslim woman, hence the traditional clothing article and hesitancy to remove it in front of men. Itā€™s a rwach, but Iā€™ll buy it.
Then later she says sheā€™s non-binary or something along those lines. That makes NO SENSE with the established femininity tied to the hijab.
Itā€™s like theyā€™re tripping all over themselves and shredding the writing to pieces to appease every special interest group they can find. It feels insultingly pandering, and the show is suffering for it.

8 Likes

its background for me, its not as good as everyone thinks it is. i watch it/listen to it because I have this membership

2 Likes

The second half has a ā€œmailed inā€ feel to it.

2 Likes

At this point I think itā€™s pretty safe to say that this is the worst season of Young Justice. This does not mean that it is a terrible season or the show should be cancelled, just that relative to the other seasons it is not as well done.

The good news is that I believe the creators also recognized this and will seemingly be trying to course correct for season 4.

Unfortunately I donā€™t think they realize how much of a skewed perspective they have and most likely wonā€™t discern many of the choices that were made that are off-putting, divisive, or outright offensive.

On the other hand they might be completely aware of the choices and not care. Which seems to be the case and most media these days.

So I guess we are in for more Antifa uhh I mean the Outsiders vs The President, meaning Lex Luthor of course, for the foreseeable future. :unamused:

4 Likes

Here are my two cents.

Iā€™m not usually one to knock stuff like ā€œpanderingā€ and the whole ā€œsocial justiceā€ angle only because I donā€™t want to throw myself on that rusty bed oā€™ nails and itā€™s been over said by many way too many times to the point where I cringe every time those words are flown around, but I canā€™t help but feel as if Season 3 is trying way, way too hard to fit into the current climate. Every time Beast Boy opens his mouth, I canā€™t help but cringe. While tying crime-fighting into social media sounds great in paper and all, it just feels haphazardly slapped into the narrative without really digging into the bigger consequences. Turning the Outsiders, whatā€™s usually a ragtag team of B- and C-list heroes, into BLM with super powers just feels awkward. And donā€™t even get me started on the fact that all of these side characters kinda just thrown in to satisfy the fans feels like too many cooks spoiling the broth. Iā€™ve mentioned before Season 3 feels like too many cooks spoiling the broth and Iā€™m going to say it again. Season 3 is the definition of too many cooks spoiling the broth. Weā€™re already halfway through the season and last episode, they just introduced a whole new team of characters and I donā€™t even know their names yet.

I hope the next season tries to condense the narrative and go back to the timeless feeling of Seasons 1 and 2 because right now, the whole darn thing is a total mess.

4 Likes

For the record, I thought Invasion was absolutely brilliant, from start to finish.

3 Likes

Invasion gave me strong Xcom 2 vibes. I loved the season while it lasted.

2 Likes

@abfgmsw- I understand where youā€™re coming from. However, I think it makes sense to address both sides of an issue when it is appropriate like when discussing something subjective like if a movie is good or bad, not when discussing someoneā€™s identity. After all, identity is a personal matter, not a subjective one. Therefore, someone elseā€™s opinion is irrelevant. You and I cannot decide for someone what their identity is or how they can identify.

If a character simply wishes to learn more about being non-binary, then thatā€™s different. In fact, I think such a conversation could be very educational. Iā€™m hoping this is what you mean and not that a character should disagree with some being non-binary.

1 Like

OK, so for some things that they tackle, I donā€™t mind addressing a controversial issue if they just discuss it intelligently rather than just throwing ā€œThis is what I thinkā€ out there apropos of nothing. While I donā€™t necessarily agree with all of his views, Iā€™d much rather read a comic by Denny Oā€™Neil than watch YJO, even though the political perspective being advocated is pretty similar.

However, I think Haloā€™s gender identity is a bad example because itā€™s not quite an ā€œissueā€ as such. There are people who identify as non-binary. Thatā€™s objectively true, and having someone appear in a thing doesnā€™t strike me as any sort of stance.

However, I feel theyā€™re shooting themselves in the foot in their attempts at representation. The non-binary character is only non-binary because sheā€™s a reincarnated alien computer (and still goes by ā€˜sheā€™, rendering the entire affair academic as far as how anyone interacts with her as a practical matter). The first explicitly LGBT kiss is between two people cheating on their boyfriends while getting drunk and shooting a gun to show what a baaaad influence one of them is. And Iā€™m sure the writers added that to the script and then patted themselves on the back for how diverse they were being. Or look at the explicit tokenism in the membership of the hashtag squad.

Like, seriously. I would not mind the writers letting their political perspective filter into the seriesā€¦ if they werenā€™t so frickinā€™ bad at it. And they can write normal superhero action (see also: the first two seasons), but they refuse to do that, because look! We made a team with a hashtag! Arenā€™t we culturally relevant?

Sorry about ranting, but it just gets me that this show was good once upon a time, and wouldnā€™t even have to not be good to do some of the things theyā€™r doing.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been struggling with the last few episodes because of the social media thing. The hashtag is getting annoying, by the way. But todayā€™s episode was interesting with the stuff with Lex and with Wonder Woman calling out Batman. So hopefully weā€™re getting back to the storytelling aspects of this show.

When it comes to social issues and politics, I donā€™t have strong opinions about them either way, so itā€™s always a hurdle for me when they pop up. Much like the most recent season of Supergirl, they stopped stories dead in their tracks to bring up social and political issuesā€¦and they were very heavy handed. I think you can win over people more with subtlety than beating them over the head with something.

Iā€™ve said it before that Beast Boy is slowly becoming my least favorite character. He seems more interested in trending and looking for public situations to get the Outsiders brand out there than anything else. Heā€™s become more of a PR machine than a superhero. And didnā€™t he want to do this to take down Granny Goodness?? What happened with that?

Itā€™s not the worst, but ever since they came back with the second half of the season it feels off. Thereā€™s still some good parts and the season isnā€™t over yet, but so far the episode quality is dipped for me personally week by week. Hereā€™s hoping things not only pick up but we can end the season on a strong note! Iā€™ve got hope for Young Justice to pull up!

2 Likes

Iā€™m kinda growing indifferant to the whole show, and not really invested in any of it anyone. I like focus on characters with these types of shows. And this show has like 100 characters and if I wasnā€™t familiar with so much of the DC comics/media Iā€™d barely understand who was who.

I donā€™t care about Brion and Halo. I donā€™t hate them, but theyā€™re pretty much the most prominent characters this season and theyā€™re just kinda meh. Troy Baker is a great VA but heā€™s just not giving a great accent here either. Most of the OG characters have kinda faded into the background. I like seeing Beast Boy step upā€¦but the writing for him has been preachy and too ā€œHashtag this!ā€ and heā€™s kinda overused. The Light Storyline needs an ending frankly, tieing everything to it is just getting meandering.

Iā€™m going to finish this season, and maybe cancel my subscription and Doom Patrol is the only show Iā€™m likely going to revisit.

2 Likes

Yeah this weeks eps. was better. It reminded me of S2 with the double crossing back and forth between lex and the league, much like the light and the Reach. I still stand by my comments about last eps. and that kiss. I posted it on another thread though but Iā€™m sure yā€™all saw it. It did nothing to move the story forward and was a waste of screen time. In this eps. it was washed over immediately. Brion was just like ā€œOk I forgive you.ā€ & the other 2 secrets about Gabriel and her dying would have been enough. I could get behind this new group, the lineup is not bad. But for that to happen I would need more eps. focused on just them. I feel there is too much going on in this season. I hope they just start focusing on the problems at hand and we get some resolution. We donā€™t need anymore drama that is not relevant to the story at hand.

2 Likes

Young Justice can be a great series , if the episodes come quicker. And itā€™s dragging on like they want it to fail.

Where is the overarching plot. I agree the first half was much better because there was a point. But with only one episode left and no mention of a bigger Vandal, Apocalypse, or Lex threat, what is even going on?

Iā€™ll continue watching because almost any Young Justice is better than none, but please go back to being a show about young superheroes and not about fickle relationships and politics.

1 Like

I keep noticing ppl think that there is only one eps. left. are they still thinking that because of the old release schedule? There are quite a few eps. left.

4 Likes

Yeah there are 7 eps. left just checked.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s not 7 episodes left not 1 yā€™all need to check again thereā€™s a total of 26 episodes this season

1 Like

Omg!!! I totally agree! Iā€™ll finish out this season but will cancel. It has too much sjw nonsense and and other harmful choices to children ā€¦ It is NOT something I can watch with my son or introduce to my friendā€™s children. DC cartoons in the past was the best. I grew up watching BTAS and the other Timverse Diniverse dc cartoons. My aunt told me she would rush home after work to watch BTAS. Those cartoons are classic. They appealed to both adults and children without overt agendas being shoved down our throats! When Young Justice originally came out, it reminded me of BTAS. I was looking forward to watching this season with my son.

8 Likes

Did a small bit a cleanup on this thread, and wanted to bring attention to our PSA thread on the issue of diversity, which can be found in the Watchtower section under the title of, ā€œPSA: DC Universe Supports, Encourages, & Stands for Diversity AKA, DC The Street.ā€: https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/watchtower/psadc-universe-supports-e.

Thank you all for being ever mindful of our Forum Guidelines when posting, as well: http://yourdcu.com/cmg.

5 Likes