YJ Enhanced Cringe

Anybody finding the episodes featuring the apparent fans and internet personalities cringey or corny? Seriously, a lot of the tings they say make me roll my eyes or groan audibly. I’ve watched Young Justice with friends, none of them talk like that. None of what they’re saying feels organic; it feels like they’re trying to just fill silence with bad jokes and random observations.

The episodes with commentary from the writers/producers/directors/actors/etc. are great and informative, and at times genuinely funny. I’m just baffled by the massive disparity between these episodes.

11 Likes

I absolutely agree. I LOVE the episodes with commentaries from people who worked on the show as well as other professionals.

The super fans though? Blerg. There’s a couple fun people who seem to actually like the show and have an interesting note or two. The rest are just very annoying and seem to enjoy making fun of the show. They’re the “I bought a DC shirt at Target and am on YouTube, therefore I’m an expert on anything.” crowd.

6 Likes

I wanted to watch a few before I formed an opinion, because I’ve been meaning to watch them for a while. Finally did, and I agree with this. I know those “reaction videos” are a thing on Youtube, but I much prefer watching an episode commentary with the actual writers/producers/etc instead of seeing the reaction of fans.

3 Likes

Yeah definetly. I expected this

2 Likes

I much prefer commentary done by the people who worked on the show because it provides insight behind the creative process. Fan commentary or YouTube personalities are just awful.

3 Likes

Yeah, the super fan ones aren’t that great. They’re funny at times, but I’d much rather have all of them be producers and talent. It’s cool to watch the actors reflect on it. I also don’t really like the “DC experts” ones either. They’re really quite informative, but also pretty dull.

This is just my opinion.

1 Like

I feel like they should do less fan commentaries or just stop them all together. I loved the cast, crew, and DC professional commentaries; they were enjoyable and informative. The fans seemed like they were trying to hard to be funny and comment; it was cringey.

2 Likes

After watching them I did feel like some lines were out of place. Quip humor is something that isn’t new to the series, but it had an outlet in Wally or Bart. Neither of which were featured much in this episode(The former for obvious reasons). I’m overall a fan though, and once the rust wares off then it should come back to form.

Don’t watch them than? Why is this concept so difficult?

I’m not a professional by any means. I’ve been a DC fan since the early 80’s & even then I read the stuff that predated me. I still catch things I’ve missed b4 nearly every time I do a rewatch. That being said. I feel like I could’ve easily been on that couch with those “Superfans” & easily held my own, & I’m certain I’m not the only one who felt that way.

1 Like

It’s a travesty that they gave the finale to the “fans”. Even the format of those episodes with the garish pop-up video trivia was just so jarring. The episodes with the “DC Professionals” were fine, but I felt like they didn’t really add much that wasn’t being shown at the same time with the inserts. The episodes with the people who actually worked on the show were the only ones that were good, and the absence of the lead character designer after the first episode was felt. I also didn’t like that all the episodes were jumbled up, it robbed it of a sense of cohesion.

1 Like

What really ticked me off is the bloodlines episode featured Bart and Classic Wally while one of the “fans” started gushing all about NuWally! It’s one thing to have someone like that on DC Daily as a part of one of the TALK segments when they’re all on the couch discussing an issue of one of the current books. but to have them do it on this was just insulting. Talk about the characters on the show!

1 Like

I enjoyed the enhanced episodes, but I would have liked commentary to be less about the jokes and more about discussing the show. The final two episodes of Season 2 have commentaries as part of the Blu-ray extras (including voices of Artemis and Wally). Perfect excuse to buy the discs if you haven’t already.