Wow, L.E.G.I.O.N. '89/'90/'91 got bad once Giffen was off the book.

I collected LL.E.G.I.O.N. '89/'90/'91 back when it first came out, but stopped a little after a year. Thanks to DC Universe I’ve been able to dive back in.

Man, this book got pretty rough after Giffen left. The dialogue is just REALLY bad. Corny and badly paced. I’ve stuck with it just hoping it might get better, but it’s not :frowning:

Is Alan Grant usually better than this, and maybe this just wasn’t his strongest book?

2 Likes

Giffen sets a very high bar. Even when he’s not credited as a writer, it’s obvious his influence is on the books. DC should continue to use him as much as possible.

1 Like

Giffen sets a very high bar. Even when he’s not credited as a writer, it’s obvious his influence is on the books. DC should continue to use him as much as possible.

I’d love to find some examples of how he does his breakdowns when writing. I’m working on my own comic, and sometimes I think I should write more like he does, doing very rough pages instead of just scripts. I assume that’s how he does it.

Grant is a mixed bag with more misses than hits in my eyes. He’s a bit on the hammy side and gets preachy fairly often which is interesting since he has no coherent ideology. I wouldn’t avoid a Grant run but I wouldn’t go in with high expectations.

He wrote Detective for a long time, didn’t he? I remember really only being interested in the Norm Breyfogle art. The stories weren’t anything amazing IMO.

I don’t know anything about this book, but I was able to guess that Alan Grant wrote it before you said his name. I’ve been reading his ‘Tec and it’s awful. Formulaic, hammy, and preachy.

Trustimusti and Bat Jamags,

Yeah, he wrote Tec for awhile. I don’t think his work is terrible. It’s readable but generally nothing special.

There were actually other writers on L.E.G.I.O.N. 89, like Mark Waid and Tom Peyer later. Overall there were some fun storyines, but I believe there is a L.E.G.I.O.N. 94 that I liked better.

My all time favorite of this group of characters is R.E.B.E.L.S. , by a writer I really enjoy usually, and who hasn’t been around the past few years…Tony Bedard…I haven’t seen him around since Convergence (I think they may have actually dug up old dead comic book writers to cover that, lol) and Teen Titans(2016) 20-24.

If you haven’t read Tony’s run of Green Lantern Corp #48-63 (2010-2011), I strongly recommend it!

There was also R.E.B.E.L.S. 94

Hm, I might have to check this series out. I don’t know anything about Peyer, but I do love me some Giffen and Waid. All I’ve read from Tony Bedard is his Birds of Prey run, which was probably the weakest in the original volume, but the weakest run of Birds of Prey is still better than 90% of everything else, so he’s still pretty solid in my book.

1 Like

@Don-El
I first discovered Tony Bedard when he wrote Negation for Crossgen. I LOVED that book and have followed him ever since. Unfortunately I don’t think anything he’s written since has been as good as his Crossgen work.

1 Like

@trustymusti yup, loved his Crossgen Sci fi Negation

Bat Jamags,

Legion spun off from the Invasion crossover. I’d suggest starting there. It’s pretty good by that era crossover event standards, and it sets up the team. I haven’t read a ton of Legion so I don’t know if Invasion is must read or if the regular series does a good job filling in the gaps.