Worst thing ever done to comic books?

I’ve gotten guff for sending comics to the bindery to be made into custom hardcovers. I think it’s because I remove the back covers and the ads. That’s on me

4 Likes

I hated losing my comics, but considering most of my collection was from the 80’s and 90’s I didn’t lose much that had significant monetary value. I hurt my heart bad. I think the most valuable issues I had would’ve been Marvel Graphic Novel 4, Batman 357, and my Spidey collection (252, 300, etc). Coppers just aren’t worth a ton beyond what they meant to me.

4 Likes

Controversial take: the worst thing you can do to a comic is not read it. Our funny books are not meant to be kept in mint condition. Wear it out. Let it yellow. That’s its purpose.

10 Likes

There are 6 comics I own that I consider important enough to have 9.8 graded copies. One is Batman 436. I have 6 copies. Two direct, two newsstand, and two second print. Sometimes I like a character so much I want an archive copy. I’ve been that way since I was a kid. I would read an issue and if I liked what happened in it enough I would buy a second copy that I would sleeve and never read. Been a little weirdo like that since I was 8 years old.

4 Likes

Well, even if I can’t embrace that kind of reasoning, I promise I won’t break in and cut up your archived comics to make a statement. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I’ll have to pull some out and post them. Mostly they where issues I got in the .50 boxes at the local comic shop, some new issues or doubles I had. I did cut up a few Batman Knightfall issues.

3 Likes

Nice! You should share some of your collages.

3 Likes

@AlexanderKnox I completely agree.

3 Likes

The horror

3 Likes

On Motor Pool guard duty, Korea 1983. I had a paperback with me, but there in the guard shack, abandoned and having seen better days was an issue of Dazzler. I gave Dazzler the dignity of reading her and leaving her for the next poor sap.

5 Likes

Poor Alison Blaire. She gets no respect! Can’t a girl just disco in peace? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

In the words of Msgtv

4 Likes

My mother telling my sister, my brother & I that we could only keep 10 of the comics which mostly my brother and sister had collected during the early 60’s to early 70’s it was nearly a closet full of comics. When we moved from one city to another in SoCal, in the spring of 73. We were gutted but we went through the collection and each figured out which 10, but as we went through it, we made a note of the book & issue. All but those handful went to the dump.

That summer we got a comics price guide and used “good” as the condition. We diligently went through each issue and then added up the value. I remember my mom coming home from work and asking. “So, mom. What would you do with $30,000.00?” “I’d pay off the house for a start.” “Well, all those comics you made us throw away we’re worth about 30 grand.”

After the shock, she poured herself a drink, and said “Don’t mention this to me again. Ever.”

My brother collected a few after that, but I became a bloodhound going through 3 for a quarter boxes of comics at the local swap meet. She never said another word to me about collecting comics.

I hazard to think what that collection would be worth today.

5 Likes

7 Likes

I entirely agree.

Also I have like thirty (probably more) books I bought on ComiXology sales downloaded on my iPad that I really really want to get around to but DO NOT have the time.

3 Likes