Worst comic book ever?

This one is easy. With the exceptions of Batman and Justice League the entire run of the New 52 was the worst DC comicS ever!

6 Likes

Baseballmaniac, nope there’s lots of good stuff in 52. Try All Star Western and I Vampire. One of the things 52 did right was try to make space for non superhero series.

5 Likes

I also liked New 52 a lot. Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Demon Knights, Batgirl, Justice League, Superman Unchained, Lemire’s Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Action Comics, Swamp Thing and Animal Man. All stellar titles.

7 Likes

Anything with Ambush Bug or Deadpool.
Because there is nothing fascinating or avant-garage about breaking the fourth wall. Shakespeare did it, for cryin out loud.

1 Like

Identity Crisis. God, that thing is AWFUL.

3 Likes

HEROES IN CRISIS #1 - Sorry but true!

3 Likes

There seems to be a lot of hate for Identity Crisis, and I’m torn. It definitely went too far by featuring the shocking death and rape of Sue Dibny. However, I thought it also told an engaging, interesting, and satisfying mystery. So I don’t know if I like it or hate it.

5 Likes

Border Town. Thank God DC canceled it.

3 Likes

Marvel: Secret Empire

DC: All Star Batman and Robin

Indie: Neonomicon

It’s always worse for me when a normally good creator goes bad than a bad one. I don’t expect Rob Liefeld to make a good comic book at this point but Nick Spencer, Frank Miller, and Alan Moore usually do good work.

2 Likes

Marvel Zombie

2 Likes

@Awesome_Squid
I think you’re right about the hate for identity crisis and why some people don’t like it because of how far it went.

I’ll confess to being in the opposite camp. I liked IC because I look at it as a big middle finger to that group of fans who think comics have to be serious, dark, gritty & “real” to be interesting or meaningful.

I’m not implying that you are a member of that group. But, I think it’s fair to say there is a vocal group that’s made up of that point of view.

IC was the logical extension of that mentality. To me it was “this is what you want comics to be? Ok. Here ya go…wait…what’s that…you don’t really want that after all. You wanna pretend to be edgy, not actually go to the edge and stare over into the abyss.”

I think there are some who feel it just went to far, period. And I can respect that point of view.

I do think IC did cause some people to rethink their perspective on golden, silver & bronze age comics and go, “ya know…comics can be fun and interesting and deep and thought provoking without having to be “dark, gritty, etc.”

All that said, I can see why people have different reasons for hating IC. At the same time, while I don’t think it was brilliant, it served a much needed purpose.

4 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte IC is bad BECAUSE of that. I read it relatively recently and I don’t think it’s a middle finger to that camp, I think it’s a love letter to that camp. I think IC is edgy for edginess’s sake, and you can’t claim something’s a parody of a thing if it also is the thing. Also, it writes off a victim of sexual assault as a plot device with two emotions and no personality that isn’t defined by her (male) partner.

2 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte IC is bad BECAUSE of that. I read it relatively recently and I don’t think it’s a middle finger to that camp, I think it’s a love letter to that camp. I think IC is edgy for edginess’s sake, and you can’t claim something’s a parody of a thing if it also is the thing. Also, it writes off a victim of sexual assault as a plot device with two emotions and no personality that isn’t defined by her (male) partner.

1 Like

@Batwing52
I don’t view it as a parody. It is a serious look at taking the view to the logical extreme. In doing so, it dehumanizes, just as many “dark age” comics had a propensity for dehumanizing heroes and villains alike.

One need not be parody to hold a mirror up. We can certainly agree to disagree. Although like it or loathe it (for whatever reason) I find very few who have no opinion on it. That, in a sense, tells of its significance, for good or ill. Does it say more about the medium of comics or the comic readers. I’d argue for the latter.

3 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte I’ve definitely never been part of the group who thinks that being all dark and shocking is the same thing as being mature. Personally, I believe that just because a story is only appropriate for a mature audience doesn’t always mean the story itself is mature. It’s something that I feel people mix up a lot.

3 Likes

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth

The lettering gave me a literal physical migraine. It didn’t seem like a Batman book to me at all either, it read like horror fanfiction loosely based on the Batman mythos.

Sorry to everyone who worked on it, I know a lot of hard work, thought, and effort went into crafting it. It still has my vote :grimacing:

3 Likes

I stopped reading Marvel after Secret War 2, haven’t been back since. Recently I read the first issue of the Voodoo 97 mini on here and I was out, it was horrible. As much as I love Wildstorm titles I’ll never finish that mini, read any Voodoo title again and still flinch when she turns up in the new Wildstorm.

2 Likes

All Star Batman and Robin and Cry for Justice are two of the worst books I attempted to read. Notice that I said ATTEMPTED because I was not able to get through either of them.

2 Likes

The worst I’ve read is almost the entirety of Tom King’s Batman run in rebirth. There are moments I enjoy here and there, but I have too many moments where I am totally against what is happening. Also, I really didn’t like Heroes in Crisis. As a huge Scott Snyder fan, I feel like King is his opposite, and I can’t connect to his style.

I know there are way worse stories out there, but I only wanted to speak on the ones I’ve read.

7 Likes

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again is the worst DC story I’ve read (but only because I haven’t read Heroes in Crisis yet, I just decided to skip it when I heard how King wrote it).

Worst Marvel story I’ve read would have to be…almost everything they’ve done since 2013, really.

4 Likes