Worst comic book ever?

What is the worst comic book you’ve ever read. All is alowed from DC to Marvel to dark horse etc.

3 Likes

Ugh, any Spider-Man work is on the table then, that title has and always will be warm garbage on a stick.

2 Likes

Marville. It’s meant as Marvel poking fun at its own heroes and the superhero genre as a whole, but it’s so painful to read. There’s no worse writing than bad comedy.

4 Likes

Deadpool: Max #1. The only comic I’ve ripped up and tossed into the trash.

3 Likes

I’ll cheat and give one from both DC and Marvel

DC - All-Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder. It’s an obvious choice.

Marvel - Spider-Man: Sins Past. I don’t regularly read Spider-Man, but I feel for the fans. It’s almost like Marvel is constantly trying to tank the series.

4 Likes

There’s a multitude number of bad comic I would list as awful It usually because the writer knows nothing about the history of the character or does not care Prime example. Marvels Mockingbird few years back Luckily they canceled the series

3 Likes

The Clone Saga in Spider-Man .

HORRIBLE.

3 Likes

I find it interesting that so far everybody has mentioned a Marvel comic as being the worst… do you think we may be a bit biased?

6 Likes

@Awsome_squid you are right. Everyone what is the worst DC comic you’ve read?

4 Likes

Heroes in Crisis. That’s a DC title and much more recent.

5 Likes

All-Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again

Final Crisis

Future’s End

Heroes in Crisis

5 Likes

Countdown to Infinite Crisis.

Quickly followed by Identity Crisis and Heroes in Crisis.

6 Likes

That’s a rough question. I think I’m going to have to go with Avengers #200. It’s confusing, illogical, and gross in a way that reflects rather poorly on the writers. The best I can say for it is that it contributed to George Perez moving to DC, which was great for us. Honorable mentions to Marville for lame comedy and bizarre pseudophilosophical tangents, and to Civil War and One More Day for general stupidity.

The worst DC book is a harder call. It’s sort of a toss-up between Countdown (to Final Crisis, though I’m no great fan of Countdown to Infinite Crisis), Cry for Justice, and maybe Identity Crisis. Frank Miller’s later work is certainly bad, but it has a certain so-bad-it’s-good charm that prevents me from calling it the absolute worst.

3 Likes

Chuck Austen’s “Pain of the Gods” run on JLA. He’s also what got me to drop X-Men comics for a while.
I think it was before that, Chris Claremont wrote that title, and that wasn’t great.
The Detective Comics arc “City of Crime” just dragged on.
One More Day wasn’t great (bad idea, written well, though), but Amazing Spider-Man after that did not get better.
Batman & Robin Eternal. As I said on my show, it’s half as long as its predecessor, but is many times worse. I’ll buy Bat comics again after they fix that mess Tynion made of Cassandra. Better yet, let me fix it, I don’t trust DC. [shakes fist]
There was an issue of Action or Superman that was, well, odd. I forget the writer, but it was written in a much older style than its 2000’s era publication: a woman scorned by Zeus took control of Superman, Wonder Woman helped out, and there was a “wink at the camera” moment where Lois sees a tired Clark and Diana sleeping next to each other on a couch, and Lane just notes how she’s not worried about her husband being stolen.
Batman: In Darkest Knight. Cool Elseworld’s concept, not so great execution.

Those aside, feel free to peruse my reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-B89OhZ5sBrCat1CeEAnzg

1 Like

Echoing All-Star Batman & Robin, Spider-Man One More Day & Clone Saga.

And as for Marvel getting some hate here…eh, it’s kind of deserved. There aren’t THAT many classic runs. Past the Silver Age it’s slim pickings (Starlin Warlock & Miller Daredevil & …um…Runaways? Alright Claremont X-Men, not trying to start anything haha). They’re reallt good at cranking out things that are just good enough. But they won’t publish a ‘Mister Miracle’. No way. Look at how they bungled their Miracle Man opportunity.

And Final Crisis could have been worse, at least it was JG Jones, it could have been Rob Liefield or Erik Larsen! But seriously, I actually hate a lot of those early Image series (different story now). Gotta nominate all the early Liefield Image work for worst comics I’ve ever read. Illegible garbage.

Wow that was hilariously cathartic haha

1 Like

@Awesome_Squid A relatively recent DC book I didn’t care too much for was All-Star Section Eight.

I like Garth Ennis and I like humorously kooky characters but that mini was just…off.

I only mentioned a Marvel book first because that book truly was a sour, POS that I despised. It’s coincidence that it was a Marvel title.

Outside of DC and Marvel, I really didn’t like Jim Balent’s Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose. I picked up a random issue on a New Comic Day in 2006 or 7 and then stuck with it for…three issues more? I’m open minded and tolerant to all kinds of things within reason, but that series was odd and off-putting.

4 Likes

My least favorite DC book is Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. It crosses the line a little too hard for my tastes, by making Batman’s villains analogous with, like, AIDS and pedophilia. Also, I find the lettering to be almost unreadable.

7 Likes

Gosh this is tough. Probably Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again. If I were to split hairs, I’d name-drop a few issues from either No Man’s Land or the Death of Superman arc, since they were such long storylines that the filler issues weren’t good by any stretch of the imagination.

2 Likes

For DC Heroes in Crisis, and for Marvel Spider-Man one more day.

3 Likes

Any Marvel with a Zombie hero after Ultimate FF.Talk about driving a half baked idea into the dirt.
Hipster Batgirl, redesign was cut bit series unreadable

4 Likes