Worried CW DC Shows May Go Away!

And we’ve got that Gotham cops show on the way, as well.

It’s true they save money if they cut the number of episodes for the season, but I think that number of continuing shows is still an unecessary expense, from the company’s point of view. Some executives have to be asking themselves “how many HBO Max subscriptions do we add by hosting this show?”; if the answer is only that it makes existing subscribors happier, that may not be good enough.

Your point about broadcast TV is a good one. Building public awareness of characters besides Superman & Batman was was a huge gain for DC, as well as demonstrating those characters can carry a show. But which network would it be? CBS didn’t like how its one season of Supergirl turned out. Most of the broadcast networks have ties to a streaming channel that’s in competition with HBO Max. I personally think the existing Vancouver-filmed shows have a poor shot of attracting a different home

1 Like

This cannot happen!!!

1 Like

I think the CW is just a broadcast Network. I don’t think it has anything to do with the shows produced. The articles state that what kept them afloat was the Netflix streaming deal and that is in fact what lead to the success of their shows like Riverdale and All American.

Even if this does happen, the network will probably remain unchanged. Worse case scenario, remaining shows finish their runs and the upcoming shows become streaming exclusive on HBOmax.

3 Likes

This is a lie! Who reads and believes half the stuff CBR says

2 Likes

The source is Hollywood Reporter. CBR just reprinted the info. And I wasn’t aware that CBR was known for making stuff up. They pretty much just reprint news from other sources. I don’t see much, if any, original reporting from them.

1 Like

Yea, CBR is terrible. When they can’t link to another source, they often put up clickbait and rumors. Editorially, they’re a mess. You’ll see things like spelling errors and wrong information in their stuff. The two that have always stuck with me is an article talking about The Rocketeer where they credited Dan Stevens as the creator when it’s Dave Stevens, and when they complained about the first Wonder Woman’s third act, they said they didn’t enjoy the fight with Hades, even though Diana fought Ares.

It makes you wish for the old days of Comic Book Resources.

1 Like

If trusting news sources, choose any news source except CBR. All CBR does is make up crap and just completely copy other news.

1 Like

I have not once, ever, seen them make anything up. If you have, please provide an example. And they don’t “copy” news; they are a news aggregator. There’s nothing wrong with that. All of their news is sourced and cited from legitimate outlets like Variety or Hollywood Reporter, or based off of direct quotes from creators on podcasts or their own Twitter feeds. I have no reason to distrust CBR.

3 Likes

I am not saying people should distrust CBR. All I am saying is that sometimes CBR copies what other news says and rewrites it in another way so that they could get all the credit. Most of their stories they base off screen-rant. And all I am saying is that this article is a lie. And I am not saying they make stuff up, I am saying that they usually copy articles and reword them to make it sound like they wrote it

2 Likes

Amen!

1 Like

Agreed. I haven’t seen them make stuff up either. They link to articles from external sources. It’s easier to go to their site and get all the DC related news than to scour news outlets for it. They also have original opinion pieces that I disagree with half the time.

1 Like

Also, it’s not like this particular piece of news is saying “no more CW DC shows”… just that if the sale goes through, there’s a possibility they will be affected. Best to wait & see what actually shakes out.

3 Likes

The MOST credible entertainment news outlets are:

1. Hollywood Reporter
  2. Deadline
  3. Variety
  4. The Guardian

Outlets that are generally not credible unless it’s from their own interviews:

1. CBR
  2. Collider
  3. Screenrant

Worst outlets, clickbait extravaganza:

1. We Got This Covered :face_vomiting: AVOID AT ALL COSTS
  2. Bounding into Comics :face_vomiting:
  3. Gizmodo :face_vomiting:
  4. Giant Freaking Robot :face_vomiting:
  5. Express UK (gossip column, paps) :face_vomiting:
  6. Daily Mail (gossip column, paps) :face_vomiting:
  7. Cheat Sheet (regurgitating already reported information) :face_vomiting:

My rule of thumb is if it isn’t confirmed by the filmmakers, production companies/producers, distributors, or the actors, it’s probably just a rumor and not true.

6 Likes

@NinjaSupes That is the PERFECT list!

4 Likes

EWWW You reminded me of that raggedy website :face_with_spiral_eyes: :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I have to put it on the list to Educate people. I gotta do what I gotta do.

3 Likes

As others have said above, at the end of the day this is all speculation. I mean if the potential new owners have a news station already who is to say they are going to create the same thing from CW. And I would assume the deal that Warner and Paramont will still make content for them would be a factor, although I guess they both could make news programs. Also the deal has not even happened, if it does it will likely take years for the effects to really be shown. Flash has not been renewed for another season yet last I heard and the actor is reportedley ready to move on. So it might be a moot point anyway.

As for the other DC shows. Honestly unless another Network bought them or Netflix wanted to continue them as originals or something (which I sense would not be likely but what do I know?) they likely would be cancelled. Legends I think would especially be in trouble because even though after Flash it seems to be their most successful, or one of, the last 7 seasons or however many there are are currently on Netflix. So continuing it as a HBO MAX original with season whatever we were on by that point might not be that appealing. So I think it would likely just call it a show if CW shut down unless someone else wanted to pick it up. I don’t think MAX would want it.

Naomi… it is hard to guess because CW almost never cancels anything after 1 season and I don’t know how well it did. But it has gotten mixed reviews from fans and critics and didn’t seem to get much promotion or a lot of coverage overall after the first episode. And the show is a lot different from the rest of the Arrowverse. So honestly unless it picks up in ratings and perceptions I have a feeling in a couple years if CW theoretically goes through a format change and drops all it’s current shows, by the time that has happened Naomi will have already been off the air. I hope I am wrong, the show has potential. But assuming Naomi has a future 2 years down the line no matter what kind of programming CW has might be too optimistic.

Superman and Lois I would think would have the best chance of going to MAX if CW drops them. They are both shows with streaming quality production or close to it, and both are popular with fans. And the past episodes are on MAX so it would be easy to transfer to originals. So they seem to have the best chance I would guess.

Batwoman might have a similar situation but while naysayers try to paint it as some huge failure Warner is embarrassed even exist, which it isn’t. The ratings have been steadily declining. Unless it is doing real well on MAX I would think there are higher rated CW shows Arrowverse or otherwise that would have more merit to move to MAX. And that is assuming the ratings don’t keep dropping if so CW might cut their losses before then.

But yeah all speculation we don’t know the sale will go through. And the assumption it will become another news channel like the owners WGN acquisition is pere speculation.

At the end of the day nothing is changing this season by all accounts and likely next season either even if sales go through. So we would be better to enjoy it while it is here.

I mentioned a saying a friend told me when there was speculation about DC Universe going down after Max was announced. “If you spend all the good times waiting for something bad to happen, then you wasted them”.

4 Likes

Such a great line!

And I still laugh when everyone said DC Universe was going down or was dead. And yet, here we are with plenty of comics and the shows are still going. They may be on HBO Max and Stargirl on the CW, but they’re not dead :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I do remember when Swamp Thing’s cancelation was leaked people were saying these shows are DOME… stick a fork in them they are DONE. Meanwhile all of them are still going on. Well DC Daily and DC Universe All Star Games were done because of it too. But no one was counting those when they said it, most claiming that didn’t even know what those two shows were.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that WB and CBS put the CW up for sale while still greenlighting more shows. The shows will most likely just move.

3 Likes