World of Wonder | Wonder Woman (Series 1975) DISCUSSION

It’s neat getting to see the original version. Thanks for sharing that with us. Maybe they couldn’t get the bullets passed the censors for the TV show version? Would be cool if DC could restore it so that it were in the similar quality as the current intro they use and at least add it as a bonus feature in a Blu-Ray or something.

1 Like

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

This past Sunday’s episode was the first part in a two-parter. Judgment from Outer Space: Part 1 introduces Andros and the idea that being from outer space feel threatened by humans. Are they right in fearing humankind? This episode continues the upward trend in the quality of the episodes, IMO.

What did you all think of episode 10?

2 Likes

the short answer: no and yes. i’ll have to come back for a longer answer.

2 Likes

That longer answer i promised: to misquote Delenn from Babylon 5: humans have a knack for creating communities. But at the same time, there are some truly awful things we do to each other as evidenced by shows like L&O:SVU and Criminal Minds, highlighting what I like to call the depravity of man. (and “man” is less about the XY gene and more about Tolkien’s “race of Men”, which implies (to me at least) “the ladies”).

3 Likes

Slightly off topic, but if anyone is interested, NightMan has an episode called “Whole Lotta Shakin’” with Little Richard. The plot includes manmade earthquakes, which brings us back to the topic at hand, similarities to episode “The Pluto File.”

1 Like

Judgment from Outer Space: Part 2 was quite enjoyable. I had so much fun watching it with those of you that were able to make the watch-along this past Sunday.

• Did you all enjoy this two-parter?
  • What did you all think of Andros?
2 Likes

Something I didn’t like about the episode was the romantic tension between Wonder Woman and Andros. It was a bit awkward :joy:

2 Likes

I agree. The gif you created is the smile Diana throws at Andros while they are trying to avoid danger. Which seemed out of place.

The science fiction was on target. Diana made an impression on the council as well as Andros. And i think the return of Andros references that he returns early. A couple of more episodes and the next season is the time jump (well, at the time, a change of network, and whatever else @MovieAddict wants to share because his knowledge of this show is the greatest of all).

2 Likes

Basically they were cancelled by ABC and CBS only agreed to renew the series if they moved the series to the present day setting. It opened up the possibility of more stories which was a huge plus, but it makes these episodes more dated than the WWII era episodes, which is bad. I do know CBS would not allow the use of costumed villains for the first half of the Flash series, but not sure if those restrictions were put in place on Wonder Woman.

1 Like

Maybe some people have a certain disdain for the CBS seasons because apparently people don’t like the 70s and obsess over the 80s. I on the other hand have always been fascinated by the 70s. Maybe at the time it wasn’t that interesting, since it was just a contemporary setting, but now it’s as much of a vintage throwback for me as WWII. So I think the 70s era of the show actually might have improved over time due to the nostalgia factor, for me. Also I have seen various others 70s shows and Wonder Woman actually looks very classy in comparison IMO.

As for the villains, there are some costumed villains in the show, even if they are original characters. But keeping things grounded was just the trend of the time. Even Superman 1978 was very down to Earth when it comes to Lex in comparison to Batman 1966 for instance.
The Incredible Hulk followed that line of thought to an even greater degree.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, there’s no episode of Wonder Woman I don’t love (except I just like the Roy Rogers episode). I just think all the “new technology” is very dated. WWII looks like it should, but Rover, the super computers, and so on are very much a concept of another time.

2 Likes

For sure, but at the same time that kind of thing also makes it more comic booky in a way, for me. And it wasn’t intrusive most of the time, mostly only to move the plot and add some humor sometimes (specially with the absence of Etta).
I also have the feeling the same will happen with all the holographic computers in superhero stuff of today. :stuck_out_tongue:
Speaking of the absence of Etta, Eve could have been a good replacement, too bad she only appeared in 5 episodes.

3 Likes

The holographic images most likely will be out of date some time, agree there. I also have to say the Skrill, the future suits (a staple of the 70s and earlier), the Time Bomb time travel. It’s all very dated, but doesn’t hurt the enjoyment.

3 Likes

@MovieAddict You’re right. It’s not gonna age well when they jump forward, BUT I think the dated tech is kinda charming. Campy, retro fun has grown on me a bit—like I’m time traveling back to when I was kid pretending to be her! :laughing: Oh, Wonder Woman :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

2 Likes

From outer space we go back to the war effort. It’s adds to what makes this season stand up. From “science fiction” to the current technology and brain power of the time.

But I have to say something. I am disappointed that a character named Antonio would be the one to not back off even after Diana said no. It makes Antonio’s everywhere look bad.

2 Likes

I agree @AntLeon! Formula 407 (Season1, Episode 12) is another episode that showcases why this show still works in the current entertainment landscape. I really enjoyed seeing all of the wardrobe choices in the episode. Lynda and Lyle always deliver with their performances, but they also deliver with amazing outfits.

1 Like

What’s on deck next? I don’t think @nu52 created the thread yet.

1 Like

Next is The Bushwackers, the only Season 1 episode that doesn’t have anything to do with Nazis. I give it points for originality on that.

2 Likes

Actually, it does have a Nazi story, that’s who the rustlers are working for if I remember correctly. It’s truly my least favorite episode of the series so I haven’t watched it as much.

2 Likes