World of Wonder | Wonder Woman (Series 1975) DISCUSSION

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

World of Wonder recently held a watch-along for the pilot episode of the Lynda Carter series. What are your thoughts on the pilot?

If you haven’t watched the Pilot Episode yet, make sure you do then come back here and let us know what you thought!

Beginning March 8th we will be hosting a watch-along for this series every Sunday with discussion for the episode beginning the following Monday on this thread. Join World of Wonder and track the world-of-wonder hashtag to keep up to date with club events. Feel free to message me, @nu52, with any questions.

8 Likes

EPISODE DISCUSSIONS

Ep Season 1 Season 2 Season 3
1 Pilot The New Adventures of Wonder Woman My Teenage Idol Is Missing
2 Wonder Woman Meets Baroness von Gunther Anschluss '77 Hot Wheels
3 Fausta: The Nazi Wonder Woman The Man Who Could Move the World The Deadly Sting
4 Beauty on Parade The Bermuda Triangle Crisis The Fine Art of Crime
5 The Feminum Mystique: Part 1 Knockout Disco Devil
6 The Feminum Mystique: Part 2 The Pied Piper Formicida
7 Wonder Woman Vs. Gargantua The Queen and the Thief Time Bomb
8 The Pluto File I Do, I Do Skateboard Wiz
9 Last of the Two Dollar Bills The Man Who Made Volcanoes The Deadly Dolphin
10 Judgment from Outer Space: Part 1 Mind Stealers from Outer Space: Part 1 Stolen Faces
11 Judgment from Outer Space: Part 2 Mind Stealers from Outer Space: Part 2 Pot of Gold
12 Formula 407 The Deadly Toys Gault’s Brain
13 The Bushwackers Light-Fingered Lady Going, Going, Gone
14 Wonder Woman in Hollywood Screaming Javelin Spaced Out
15 Diana’s Disappearing Act The Starships Are Coming
16 Death in Disguise Amazon Hot Wax
17 IRAC Is Missing The Richest Man in the World
18 Flight to Oblivion A Date with Doomsday
19 Seance of Terror A Girl with a Gift for Disaster
20 The Man Who Wouldn’t Tell The Boy Who Knew Her Secret: Part 1
21 The Girl from Ilandia The Boy Who Knew Her Secret: Part 2
22 The Murderous Missile The Man Who Could Not Die
23 The Phantom of the Roller Coaster: Part 1
24 The Phantom of the Roller Coaster: Part 2
3 Likes

Most of our devices remind us, even for a lo-tech like me

2 Likes

I’m just sayin’. Some people forget or don’t realize :sweat_smile:

A good ol’ reminder never hurt nobody :smiley:

3 Likes

Very true. on all counts.

2 Likes

Will there be discussion questions? or more of a free-for-all

2 Likes

I was thinking free-for-all, but I can whip up some discussion questions if you’d like a jumping off point.

1 Like

Now is probably a good time as any: What did you think of the television version having the ability to mimic any voice (assuming she heard it before hand)?

3 Likes

At first, I didn’t know what to make of that power. @MovieAddict pointed that ability out while we were watching the episode. I’m not completely sure how it works. I will say, that I like when she is able to mimic sounds, but am unsure how I feel about her mimicking voices. The bullets and bracelets show could have had a ventriloquist portion. Diana could have made a killing as a one woman act.

Do you find that power to be too cartoon-y or did you enjoy it?

1 Like

It didn’t find it too cartoon-y. they only use it a few times in the first season. to me, it was a classic use of dubbing. as it is synced to Lynda Carter’s mouth flaps.

the invisible jet is way too cartoon-y. if only they showed Wonder Woman inside the plane/jet with the same outline that signifies invisibility, either on this show or the Superfriends, it would have sold so much better.

2 Likes

If you go back and read the comics, it talks about how puzzling it is that they see a woman sitting in the sky. I never liked that, and especially when a woman “hid” in the back of the plane. If it was invisible, the few gifts that were there would not have hidden her. I always liked the stealth type invisibility instead, everything is visible inside, but not on the outside. As for the episodes though, it is very much in keeping with the comics.

2 Likes

the trinity selection we read a while back was the best invisible jet ever portrayed. with Bloodlines a close 2nd.

2 Likes

Beginning on International Women’s Day, World of Wonder began holding a weekly watch-along for the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series every Sunday. On the following Mondays we will discuss the episodes in more depth.

This week we will be discussing Season 1, Episode 2 - Wonder Woman Meets Baroness von Gunther

:star2:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. What were some of the highlights from episode 2 for you?

2. What were your thoughts on Etta Candy’s first appearance?

3. Was the Baroness a good villain, in your opinion?

1 Like

A truly great show. I also have to point out that Lynda did the battle while rolling downhill before Collins and Evans did it. Same with going into the pool. Were both shows using the same creative forces or were they just fans of Wonder Woman?

2 Likes

Is that a Dynasty reference? I had to Google it and that’s all that would come up. Now I have to try to find that scene to compare it to the one in Wonder Woman!

1 Like

I think so, I never watched the show but I remember that in the ads.

1 Like

Was this the one? I didn’t know that show had such intense fight choreography.

1 Like

Hey!
I actually liked the mimicking. I know on occasion she can talk to animals and understands many human languages, and since language acquisition (& variation) is all dependent on mimicking what we hear—Matching sounds to emotions, etc in order to discover the common truth, compatibility, harmony behind those sounds…I think it fits right in to her skill set…to me anyway.

Oh and yes the invisible jet is a little cheesy, but: BUDGETS! They couldn’t make her fly and that’s part of what I like about older tv shows: Creating within limitations.

4 Likes

I don’t know, because it just shows a black screen. Doing mandatory overtime way too early, so I’ll have to check later…

1 Like

I like the mimic ability; it’s a shame we don’t get more of it. Hopefully, i didn’t imply i didn’t like it.

I like the tight wrestling parts that hide the stunt doubles faces under those not so obvious wigs. i thought @MovieAddict was referring to the downhill tussle featured in this episode.

1 Like