World of Wonder | Wonder Woman (Series 1975) DISCUSSION

Ugh! I kept checking this thread yesterday morning and in the afternoon, but totally missed it when it was actually happening :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes
  1. Highlights
    The highlights for me mostly had to do with the first appearances. Aside from that, I love how they show Wonder Woman’s instant connection with children. She listened to Tommy when every one else thought he was just fantasizing what he was seeing. Even though she has the wisdom to know what he was seeing may or may not have been true, she doesn’t cut him off.

2. Etta Candy
    I love that they have her eating! It was classic Etta. I kinda wish it was a box or bag of candy, but it was great all the same.

3. Baroness Von Gunther
    From what we’ve seen I would say yes. I think they did a good job of showing her intelligent and strategic mind. Aside from her opinion on Diana, I thought she was well portrayed. I don’t think a woman of her intelligence would care about how plain a woman looked as long as she wasn’t an air head. (Unless of course she thought doing so would open a doorway to whomever she was talking, or plain, old jealousy…) But the way it was portrayed made it seem that was her honest opinion of the woman she just met.
    Her manipulation of Tommy was spot on. She showed the caring nature of a mother, making him tell her what she wanted to know.

2 Likes

Unless I’m completely mistaken there was definitely a downhill roll by Collins and Evans. However, I’ll have to look up the video later and see what it’s showing.

1 Like

To respond to the questions:
The mimic ability is always a highlight, second to unity with the beasts.

Etta’s first appearance is a little “…meh” for the very lack of a better word. That she is eating to comfort herself is more problematic in our current climate, but more or less true to the character, yes?

The Baroness was definitely a good villain, but i will cop out with agreeing with what was already said about her.

2 Likes

That’s not it, but this is the pool scene I think I recalled: YouTube

1 Like

I think THIS is what I remember for the downhill roll: YouTube

1 Like

Oh no, no—you didn’t imply that you didn’t like it at all! I was just over-thinkin

2 Likes

Just checking.

2 Likes

Had a different topic I was going to bring up. But since it dealt with the movie of 2017, I’ll come back to it another time. Right now I’d like opinions on why Diana had to " twirl " to become Wonder Woman. Aside from it being a cute visual gimmick, I mean. Even when Yeoman Prince was tied up, or captured, she couldn’t break free until after the WW transformation had occurred.

And you’ll notice that Diana Prince never uses WW’s powers. Apparently, unlike Superman, Diana can’t just dress up as a normal person. She appears to actually become one. She’s a lot more like Billy Batson. Just without the magic word.

Are Diana and Wonder Woman two separate beings who share the same memories (ala Captain Marvel)? If not, where do the powers go? Where do the clothes go? Inquiring minds want to know!

1 Like

As far as the first season goes, Diana does NOT have her powers when yeoman prince-- something never really explained-- and eventually contradicted by Wonder Girl apparently not suffering this problem. It was just a thing.

As for other two, more contemporary seasons, it seems to change episode by episode.

2 Likes

The spin is Lynda’s doing. They needed to figure out how to change her, since the batpoles were so memorable. The fireburst became necessary due to time constraints as I mentioned. Lynda also spawned the most copied and possibly most memorable costume change yet. Ad for the powers, they never explain in the series, but in the comics, Circe gave Diana the “gift” of mortality as Diana Prince in the Who’s Afraid of Diana Prince story if I’m not mistaken. I know the reason is accurate, pretty sure of the title. They even made action figures from the story…

2 Likes

3 Likes

Maybe it was Who is Wonder Woman? That’s the question on the boxes…

2 Likes

I’d heard that, about the spin being Lynda’s idea. And a good idea it was. Don’t remember the Circe thing, though. Which, is fine for the comics. But as you’ve mentioned, no on screen explanation. Just acceptable Hollywood magic I guess. Like how Diana seems able to call up a particular version of her costume, at will. As when she needs to ride a motorcycle, for instance.

Oh well, it never diminished my enjoyment of the series. Just a few "oddities " that crop up with a lot shows. Lynda is still for many, the gold standard that Gal measured herself by. Long live WW!

1 Like

My last observation, then I’ll close out, is on Lyle Waggoner. An excellent foil (and could’ve been love interest), for WW. Only problem there is that from season 2 on, her co-star became little more than “cameo-man.”

I’ve heard rumors over the years that I didn’t like. Such as that Lynda wanted her role bigger. Which meant that somebody else had to get smaller. I hope that’s not true. Can anybody shed some light on all that?

2 Likes

All I know is she said she regretted that they didn’t get along better and I know they wrote scenes to keep them apart. That’s why they conversed on the phone so often.

2 Likes

Really loving the discussion this week. This is how you know a show is good, when decades later there is still much to talk about. Don’t forget, the episode 3 watch-along is tomorrow.

Hope you all had a happy Pi Day

7 Likes

I’m off, but probably not free to join. Hope you have a great turnout regardless and I’ll join if I can

1 Like

The discussion is good, yes, but there is something that somehow is not being said-- not about any of the individual episodes, but the first season overall.

It’s the first true live action mix of comics and television, the first adaption that doesn’t bend a little too far into, well, television. I have my moments of loving the Adventures of Captain Marvel serial, the Adventures of Superman and Batman TV shows, but they ain’t the greatest adaptions possible, no matter how good they might be in and of themselves.

The first season of Wonder Woman transcends-- no, its not perfect, but if you saw the Cathy Lee Crosby-led TV movie as a child, Lynda Carter’s Wonder Woman was a comics based revelation, even a kind of miracle almost on the level of Superman the Movie to the heart and soul of the young fan, indeed all fans of fantasy and caped genre. It was actually wondrous. And it still is. We chuckle a bit at the invisible plane, but try putting yourself in the mind of a ten year-old jumping for joy simply because they tried to represent it at all.

4 Likes

Great point. We are only on episode 2 and have already pointed out so many similarities during the watch-alongs between the comics and the show. Many of the scenes are ripped right out of the comics.

I forget, having grown up in a time when comic adaptations are somewhat closer to the source material, that many adaptations were more in name only. Really enjoying getting your perspective @MisfitCMJ.

4 Likes