[World of Wonder] Wonder Woman #750 DISCUSSION

@NovellPaladin
That Planet Awesome link is Boss Logic’s own website.

He’s a young guy still fresh in the business. I’ve been following his Social Media for about two years now and he’s still SUPER humble and all about “creating worlds!”

He’s worth throwing a few dollars at.

2 Likes

This book is “in hand” vs digital?

1 Like

I’ll probably get this digitally like I get most comic singles, unless I see it in Barnes and Noble like they did with Detective/Action #1000, but I’m definitely excited for it. While I’m really uncertain about the modern stuff that may come from 5G, I really like the idea of Diana being the first DC hero and founding the Justice Society.

As for other characters getting nice big round numbers, I’m looking at it and I’m not sure how likely that is anytime soon.

Take Batman for example. The first volume from 1940 to 2011 lasted 713 issues, not counting annuals and one-shots, the New 52 run lasted 52 issues (again, not counting annuals and weird issues like Future’s End and Villains Month), and I’d imagine that the current run will at least go to 100. Add that up you get to 865. But if you add those annuals and such, from my math you get to 907, give or take. They could add a couple of things in there to pad it up, but I don’t think you’d get it to, say, 950 or something.

1 Like

Eh, I’m not really sure it matters who was first, which means they’re probably going to try to force it to matter by constantly bringing up how she was the FIRST SUPERHERO, and that’s important because she was the FIRST ONE, and did we mention how FIRSTY she is. I see enough of that in the comments of YouTube videos.

I get what you mean, but YouTube comments are 99% never a good idea to read anyway.

I think part of the decision to do it this way is because with how Wonder Woman was a success, I think the general audience now relates her to being part of the past, so instead of just blindly adapting it like other companies do, ahem they’re taking that idea and figured out a way to make it work with their current universe.

5 Likes

@Jay_Kay wins the internet!!!

2 Likes

So this book if done right will be the reason I come back to ongoing DC Comics. This timeline thing has me stoked.

1 Like

It has me stoked too. I’m a little nervous about the execution, but there is a lot of potential with the new timeline.

1 Like

Bumping this up because not only does it come out tomorrow, but Hollywood Reporter has the preview with a couple of pages of the Snyder/Hitch story that’s starting the new timeline (though the article implies that it’s not complete, even though we see the final page.

I’ll say that while I feel like Hitch doesn’t hit me nearly as well as he did in his Authority/Ultimates days, but there’s a specific page that, as the kids say, just freaking slaps.

The article also says that this is going to be a special issue for fans of the DC Bombshells comics, which I found interesting.

1 Like

Did a quick.scan of ISSUE

MINOR SPOLERS

Wonder Woman.750

i.was comfused because the first part seemed to be a reprint of the current title. Rather it is the continuation.of the story from the title. i don’t know if it self contained enough for new readers.

There is a Bombshell story.

Issue ends with Diana redefined as first super hero around 1939. No Steve Trevor in story. She is already in United States.

1 Like

Read through it, lots of pretty good stuff!

"The Wild Hunt" Finale:

I did not think that this would have the last part of a storyline I haven’t read any of (I’ve only read up to what we have on DCU) but I think they did well enough to explain what’s going on, and I really liked this story. It explores an interesting thought that always going through my head when reading WW that really the Gods do not deserve their champion, and it’s interesting to see Diana’s arch-nemesis be the one who really shows this to her. Plus it’s always cool to see the whole “inside the lasso of truth” thing.

I also liked her going back to Themyskira (SO GLAD that they got rid of that awful part of Rucka’s run) and reforging her braclets and getting a sword and shield with their own stories. I want to hear more about these stories – like an Amazon fighting in the Revolutionary War? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Also also, this reminded me that I really need to check out The Silencer.

From Small Things, Mama:

A surprising continuation of the last big WW special (I think was the 75th Anniversary book) with Diana mentoring the young Star-Blossom. I’m not sure if Gail is trying to make this character into a thing, or if this is just her wanting to explore this character, but while part of me might prefer seeing Diana mentor another hero (or maybe use one of her OWN FREAKING SIDEKICKS FOR ONCE), it’s still overall a good story.

My question – how can it really be Paradise Island if there’s no good cheese? Seriously, you’re Greek, this shouldn’t be a problem!

The Interrogation:

A really intriguing back-and-forth between Wonder Woman and Ares, exploring their dynamic as to why Diana chooses to be a hero, and the internal struggle of how in order to protect the world, she inevitably has to power the god of War. I’m still not entirely sure how Diana beats him in the end, though, that whole situation felt really nebulous and unexplained.

Never Change:

I give the Rucka Rebirth run a lot of crap, but one of the parts of it that I’ve always loved was the reinterpretation of The Cheetah and her tragic origins. This was a perfect distillation of that dynamic in twelve pages. Rucka writes a really good Diana (when he’s not using her as a soapbox to complain about other writers), and Nicola Scott masterfully shows their expression on the page. Definitely one of the highlights of this issue.

Also, love the detail of all the normal people dressed as superheroes during Fat Tuesday.

Also also, I’m really starting to love this more manic pixie take on Circe.

To Leave Paradise:

It’s an interesting conundrum: to be told all your life about this outside world that is full of horrors that have so hurt and traumatized the people you love around you. But you were born after it all, you never actually experienced it, and while your heart hurts for your family’s pain, you can’t help but wonder…what’s it like out there, away from the Island?

This story definitely illustrates that well, showing all the different perspectives Diana sees as she grows up. I also found it interesting that they brought in Nubia, who I don’t think has been used in any comics since Grant Morrison used her in Final Crisis. I wonder if that’s intentional, considering the rumors about 5G…

Emergency Visit:

I think this might be one of the weaker stories in this issue. I mean, it’s a cute concept, but it feels a little too cute for me, to the point where it doesn’t make sense to me. I will say it is hilarious to me that Poly asks Diana if she’s been eating and looks thin, when Riley Rossmo draws her…hmm…how to describe it…

That’s it, exactly! Thanks, Aku! :smiley:

And while I’m at it, I’ve liked Rossmo’s art before, but this felt…really sloppy to me.

Also…why was that guy in the first page saying “Yeet?” Like, I know people say it in real life. I’ve said it – I’ve hated myself immediately after, but I’ve said it. But why? What is the circumstances where that makes sense? That whole part in the beginning really compounds what I feel is just really lazy writing. It screams…

To Me:

First off, VERY cool that we got to see Bombshells get some love in this. I feel like that universe and that take on Wonder Woman was pretty well received and loved by both fans and the general audience (if I see someone wearing Wonder Woman clothing or accessories, it’s almost always either Gadot’s WW or the Bombshells WW). I personally have greatly enjoyed what I’ve read, though as I was reading this I was a little worried that I was going to be spoiled of the whole series, and thankfully nothing too big was revealed.

Overall this feels like a great coda/sendoff to that series, highlighting some of the main characters in the series and showing what Wonder Woman means to them. It’s a great, loving tribute, and I really loved it.

Always:

Very serendipitous that this issue releases the same day that Wonder Woman: Bloodlines drops on DCU! Similar to “Never Change,” this felt like a perfect distillation between the dynamic of Wonder Woman and Silver Swan. Not much to really say about it, but it’s a really good story, and it feels like a proper way for that story to end.

A Brave New World:

Finally, I think the story most people buying this were waiting for, and I think it definitely deserves it. This was a great, tantalizing tease of this potential new timeline of Diana being the first superhero and the founder of the JSA. If Snyder and Hitch aren’t writing this series RIGHT NOW, I’m going to be crestfallen. I need more of THIS in my life.

3 Likes

Just got back from the shop and put the 40’s cover and 2010 jim lee cover in my pull slip. will probably get them in a week or two.
I really want the one by Scott and this one but I guess I have to get them online

3 Likes

The one by Artgerm, you can get here

All of these covers are awesome! I couldn’t wait and had to get the comic on Kindle yesterday though :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Wonder Woman 750 was the #1 selling book in January. According to Comichron, this is the first time Wonder Woman has held the #1 slot.

3 Likes

Nice! While I doubt it’ll stay there with #751, I hope that at least it will give the book a nice sale bump of people getting into the series.

2 Likes

Picked up the J. Scott Campbell signed Wonder Woman 750 variants set from his website.

1 Like

Also the Shannon Maer variant that came with a limited number print.

1 Like

I am new to the WW comics, when will we get access to 750?

What was the issue or series before 750?

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Most likely on or right after after Jan. 21st.

Wonder Woman #83 from WONDER WOMAN (2016-) is the one before 750. That issue isn’t on the service yet.

1 Like

I love those covers, especially the ones with the solid background :star_struck:

1 Like