[World of Wonder] Wonder Woman (1987-) #7-9 & WONDER WOMAN (2016-) #51 ✨

And, again, one of my dogs has to demand my attention when i just want to watch along one of my silly shows…

I have been waiting for some 80s brand racism to show and, at last. This is not condemnation; i wanted to see what artistic choice would be taken. Of course Minerva’s man still gave him the whatfor so i think it’s supposed to balance out.

Also, while having yet to read Perez WW #9, the phrasing of a “2nd lasso” put me …not necessarily at unease. For the most part watching it play out is part of it, so if my faith is shaken, I will run around screaming about said faith.

1 Like

“How are you feeling about the characters? Which ones do you want to see more of or learn more about?”

Like others have said, I liked Mindi the most out of them all, she definitely brings out a different dynamic to the crew. I didn’t get the feeling that she was being particularly nefarious – she saw Diana more as a business opportunity at first, but she does seem to work hard to make sure that her client is happy.

“What are your thoughts on Diana’s public identity?”

I think her being public is overall a net benefit – it separates her from the Trinity with their double lives, and fits her overall character. That said, I’ve also liked it in the past where she’s had “Diana Prince” as an identity she can hide behind. The issues showing her publicity tour shows that it can be pretty stressful to be Wonder Woman 24/7.

“Is Barbara Minerva formidable? Overall thoughts on her and Chuma?”

It’s not my favorite take on Barbara (that’s the Rebirth era), but she’s definitely formidable physically. Chuma…I mean, he’s not written terribly, but he’s definitely a stereotype and I couldn’t help but think “man, if someone tried to write this today, they would be absolutely crucified.”

“What are your feelings toward the Gods of Olympus?”

Right now, kinda “eh.” We don’t see much of them in these issues, and what we get isn’t terribly engrossing. I liked how Hera kind of goes to the side of the patrons, even if it’s because of jealousy of Zeus’ wandering eye towards the Amazons – it kind of reminded me of a truncated version of Hera’s evolution in the Azzarello run (which, by the way, best take on all the Greek Gods in history of Wonder Woman comics, fight me).

I will say that if we continue this run next week, there is an event that happens that I think will be…very interesting.

“Did you enjoy Mayfly and Diana’s relationship?”

I liked it – it was a slow build where it required listening and thoughtfulness. It made no bones about how they’ve hurt each other in the past, but it works because both parties realize it’s better to have love in your heart than hate.

“What do you think about Diana’s way of dealing with her villains? Do you prefer a Diana of compassion that attempts to rehabilitate them or one that ends them (as we saw with Deimos in last week’s reading)?”

I think it’s a case by case basis. Ideally, the Wonder Woman in my mind is one who will go to great lengths to see her enemies reformed, but in those rare times where she has to choose between the life of her foe and the lives of innocents, she’ll choose the innocents.

What I really liked was her follow-through on it and how she made it personal. Like, I believe Batman also would want to see most of his foes reformed, but he’ll contribute to it by using his charity and his fundings, he can’t personally go and visit Harley Quinn to see how she’s doing. Diana can, and does.

“Favorite part of this issue?”

Like others have said, some of the different costumes, both new and callbacks, were pretty cool, but I also liked the hints of other stories from that future period. I would love to see some of those written as actual arcs in the future.

Also, I love how this issue brought back the idea that Diana snuck into the Contest and disobeyed her mother (a decision from Year One that I think is a great diminishment to the origin. Most importantly, the KANGAS. I continue to be shocked that there are apparently these amped up kangaroos in Paradise Island and no one capitalizes on it. Give Diana a Kanga companion/steed you cowards!

2 Likes

@AntLeon :joy: I get what they were trying to do with the cursive, but my eyes!

I hope you had fun at the watch-along (aww your doggy sounds adorable).

I’m not really sure what you are referring to about the second lasso. I don’t remember that part.

Yeah, the Tam (sp?) character and the way Chuma was drawn were unfortunate, to say the least.

@Jay_Kay

Myndi was all about that bottom line. I can respect that. She did seem to soften up to Diana and actually like her, but that was probably because of all of the money Myndi was raking in. She pretty much drove the story in these issues by being the one setting Diana up on her farewell tour.

I like that she has a public persona for the same reasons you stated. I can see her having a Diana Prince alter ego just for those days that she needs a day off. Clark and Playboy Bruce are pretty much full time jobs. That might end up being even more stressful than just living in your truth and being Diana of Themyscira/Wonder Woman 24/7. There is less to juggle in a sense, but a lot still comes with being a public figure. I’m just surprised there weren’t reporters lurking outside of the Kapatelis house all day and all night. Could you imagine if one of the paparazzi got pics of Diana while she would do her nightly ritual of speaking to the gods?

The Rebirth Cheetah is probably the one I’m most familiar with at this point. I do like that this Barbara Minerva starts off with an injured leg and after her transformation, she becomes the Cheetah and her leg is fine while in that state. That’s pretty cool. She’s not as fleshed out as the Rebirth Barbara Ann yet, but I am enjoying her. Her Cheetah look is probably one of the most iconic. It’s what she looks like in many animated projects.

No fights here because I agree with your hot take on Azzarello’s run. They were done extremely well there and felt much more like they belonged in a comic book world. The redesigns were inspired and awesome for the most part.

It really did help the story that it took place over years and not just a few days/months. Sometimes stories of villains being reformed happen quickly and don’t feel authentic. This managed to do that in one issue and feel earned.

Good point about Batman. I mean, he could in theory. He does need to work on getting Arkham to change because they don’t seem to really be helping much.

This issue snuck in a lot! When I saw Aquaman in theaters, all I could think about is that I wish Themyscira would be portrayed like that at some point in live action. They have plenty of mythic creatures they can display. The Kangas being some of them.

@nu52 the conclusion of WW #8 and into #9, Barbara’s ruse. And she said 2nd girdle.

But the questions:

1. I want to see more of Cheetah. However, the bits with the tail don’t really sit with me. If the abilities were monkey/simian based, then I would half expect it.

with respect to Myndi and her name alliteration, her letter is to Julia. which seemed weird, but it gave the impression that while Diana is a proverbial cash cow for her line of work, there was no ill will. the change of clothes to “seal the deal” was merely that. It’s a character that would be interesting to see play out, especially given the era it was written, where male dominated workplaces were starting to get populated by women.

Public Identity: That she has no civilian identity doesn’t seem to diminish anything.

Other than the tail bit(s), Cheetah can definitely go toe to proverbial toe with Wonder Woman. How Barbara and Chuma met may better inform why she treats him poorly. I just assumed it was because she needs him to cook up the potion.

Question #4 made me only want to go back to see what powers the Amazon Patrons bestowed on Diana. Otherwise, see previous post re: Hera.

And I am caught up on all assigned reading.

1 Like

@AntLeon Yeah! The second girdle. I’m thinking that might mean we will see Antiope again. We saw her in the origin of the Amazons, but after she left there wasn’t really any need for her to be mentioned. That was a cool callback and has me thinking she will play a bigger role or at least we will see/read what happened to her after she left Themyscira.

I never thought about the tail and that it’s more of a monkey trait. I just thought of it as Cheetah having her own version of a lasso. You’re right though. Cheetah don’t just go around choking their prey with their tails.

I do like that Myndi is just doing what any shark in this role would be doing. Male or female, she’s worried about her bottom line. I’m still not really sure why Myndi would send her letter to Julia. I’m thinking that maybe because Julia has influence over Diana, Myndi doesn’t want Julia to start feeling cut out or Julia might cut her access to Diana? I mean, it could also be a respect thing since Julia was the one to bring Diana to the initial meeting with Diana?

Chuma’s interesting. I want to know what his ties to the plant are and if Barbara met him trying to get to the plant. He does see Barbara as someone that the plant controls instead of the other way around. Maybe he sticks around for the plant god and not for her?

I hadn’t read up to that point in the Perez run yet, but I will say that I know she’s related to a certain aspect of the Wonder Woman lore that I’m pretty excited to read. :smiley:

1 Like

For #51:

I liked the setup , complete with editor’s note. and then forward through time. The choice of compassion is sort of a no brainer, despite not really knowing Mayfly’s backstory. You get enough from the story and dialog to understand.

It makes me think of a panel i saw on facebook somewhere: you see Wonder Woman talking to presumably JL compatriots saying, “Do you know why you have a rogues gallery and i don’t? When i have an enemy, i deal with it”.

If killing Mayfly was the way to go, it would have been done. along with whatever consequences.

And it was 52 visits. what an odd number to choose :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That reminds me, this is a character we’ve seen before from the “Heart of the Amazon” storyline that came after Rucka’s run, written by Shea Fortuna, who does the DC Superhero Girls OGNs. I remember it being a pretty interesting concept where it posits if the best way for Diana to help better mankind is to use her demigod DNA to help cure disease. I wouldn’t have minded if she kept going as the writer – she certainly would have been a lot better than James Robinson…

1 Like

@AntLeon The 52 visits was a nice touch :slight_smile:

I believe this is what you’re referring to

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay I didn’t remember that at first, until the editor’s note. I probably should re-read the Rebirth run because at the time it all just seemed really forgettable. I do like Shea’s work on DC Super Hero Girls, but I don’t remember caring about her issues too much. The Steve Orlando stuff is what I’ve liked the most out of Rebirth from what I’ve read.

Just realized I haven’t written up my thoughts.

1. How are you feeling about the characters? Which ones do you want to see more of or learn more about?

I am liking the Kapatelis characters more. I’m especially liking that Vanessa has grown to care for Diana and respect her. Vanessa is no longer threatened by her or sees Diana negatively. I still feel like Julia could go and the story wouldn’t be impacted much.

I’d like to learn more about Barbara Minerva and the plant god she and Chuma use to transform her into the Cheetah. Where did they come across it? How did they learn about the power it holds? What is Chuma’s prior knowledge of the plant? Did Barbara and Chuma know each other before or after Barbara found out about the plant?

Etta and Steve don’t really have much to do, but I’d like to see them come back and be involved more. As well as follow up on those mentions of Antiope and what she has been up to. I am glad we got to see Matt Michaelis’ widow and son. That, yeah, this character was created just to die, but his death isn’t meaningless.

1. What are your thoughts on Diana’s public identity?

I like it. I enjoy seeing her going to the UN. I like seeing how the public reacts to her. The speech she gave at the school was great and seeing all of the kids in the crowd with the Amazon bracelets doing the crossed arm pose was cool. It was nice seeing Diana stay back after the assembly with the kids and teachers. It definitely separates her from Clark and Bruce. Unlike them, she’s not constantly worried about being discovered and her allies aren’t always feeling lied to or betrayed in some way.

1. Is Barbara Minerva formidable? Overall thoughts on her and Chuma?

Yes, Barbara is formidable. Her Cheetah was dangerous and actually posed a danger to Wonder Woman. I like how she stalks and waits in the shadows to strike. Her look is my favorite of the Cheetah. I am still unsure how to feel about Chuma. I like that he’s knowledgable and seems to realize Barbara is controlled by the plant and not the other way around. I wonder what his motives are for going along with all of this.

1. What are your feelings toward the Gods of Olympus?

Zeus and Hera want to use the Amazons now, but where were they when the other gods needed their help? I do want to know what Pan’s ultimate agenda is. What is he whispering into Zeus’s ear. I also liked the bit with Hera acknowledging her husbands wandering eye (and wandering other parts).

• WONDER WOMAN (2016-) #51

1. Did you enjoy Mayfly and Diana’s relationship?

Yes.I actually ended up feeling sad that the story happens over the course of years because then it kind of takes this character off of the table for a long time. They could always retcon that and bring her in anyway, but I don’t see many writers wanting to bring her back.

1. What do you think about Diana’s way of dealing with her villains? Do you prefer a Diana of compassion that attempts to rehabilitate them or one that ends them (as we saw with Deimos in last week’s reading)?

It’s got to be a mix of both. She stands for peace, but is a warrior tasked with protecting those who can’t protect themselves. I like the dual nature of that and she can’t just rehabilitate everyone, but she doesn’t need to kill all of her villains either.

1. Favorite part of this issue?

I have to concur with people saying the variety of costumes. Some aren’t the greatest, but it’s nice to see the different options. I also liked all of the Easter eggs in the issue. From characters like Inversion The Inside-Out Man to the golden eagle suit.

I continue to enjoy the Pérez run and want to see more of where this story goes.

1 Like

@Nu52: Without spoiling anything, I’ll just say that a lot of your predictions and questions are right on the money. It’s cool that Pérez is able to get the reader thinking in the right direction so far in advance.

2 Likes

@BatJamags He’s definitely good at getting me to want to read more. I’m curious to see what you’re hinting at coming down the line :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One of my favorites panels from this week

4 Likes

Another image I loved

4 Likes

I did like a lot of the visuals from the sequence with the military testing Wonder Woman. I didn’t really care for the military testing her though. They also want to replicate the lasso? What if they actually try it and end up with a dangerous version?

3 Likes

That would – I once had an idea for how they could bring back Donna before she came back in the New 52 by having her be cloned by some black ops group using Diana’s genetic tissue.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay I could see that. Donna has way too many origins though. Her New 52 origin with being made from Hippolyta’s clay is probably the closest to that we’ll get. Maybe a different character could have that origin.

Week 3:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/world-of-wonder-wonder-wom_2