[World of Wonder] WONDER WOMAN (1987-) #15-19 & JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK (2018-) #2 ✨

I get why the characters are insecure/jealous/envious, but the AMOUNT of insecure, jealous, and envious women in this book is just really high. There’s a new one almost every arc. I get that it’s common for someone Vanessa’s age to feel that way, which is why I didn’t mind when it happened earlier in the story. The thing is that the story resolved that plot and put a bow on it only to dredge it back up out of nowhere. It’s realistic for those feelings to go away and then come back, but it’s a lot when this many women are also experiencing similar feelings and going through the same story.

Etta being insecure about Diana’s body because Steve is going to see Wonder Woman is bad enough, but it’s made worse when Steve actually gets a little bent out of shape after the kid says he’s more of a father figure to Diana. Steve and Etta just had a romantic tryst and declared their feelings for each other some issues back, but Steve is bummed that Diana sees him in a non-romantic light? What has been nice about the Etta I’ve read in other books is that she celebrates her curves and does love herself. I get that it’s a big issue and something that has existed for ages and continues to this day and age. That’s why it’s nice to have a character that is confident and capable and full figured.

Then the charity woman’s first thought after getting robbed is about suing Wonder Woman instead of the children in need losing the money they need? I get it. The children and the charity getting the recognition they deserve in such a crowd would help them continue to get monetary help. I also get that having Diana be such a huge face of the event would make her villains show up, but they must have agreed on Wonder Woman being on board. You’re also telling me that this charity didn’t show up to check on things until the event had already begun?

1 Like

The Circe issues were incredible!

:sparkle: WONDER WOMAN (1986-) #15-19 :sparkle:

1. What are your opinions on this version of Silver Swan?

I like her. Her powers look cool. I hadn’t ever seen a sonic cry depicted as pink and it seems much more powerful than any other cry from a Silver Swan I’ve read. She had major destructive powers. It’s sad that she was in an abusive relationship with the man that had skunk hair. Her origins of being a child of people that were experimented on and so she was born affected by that is another layer of suffering this character had to go through. Her only way to get close to someone was by being pen pals with them. She was alone and just reaching out to anyone for some companionship. I believe Valerie was the one that put out the ad. I’m kind of scared for her if that man finds her. Were her wings part of her powers? Were they her organic wings or were they detachable? I was unsure.

1. Do you like the Wonder Woman/Superman pairing in general? What do you think about Wonder Woman’s feelings toward Superman in these issues?

I LOVE Super/Wonder. Which makes it a bummer that their meeting happened off panel/another comic book. I enjoyed Wonder Woman discovering her feelings for men in general through Superman. Even though she concludes that she doesn’t feel a connection with Superman, it was cute that he’s what sparked those feelings in her. I could see them working out long-term. It’s also funny that Wonder Woman has that remark about Superman liking being the hero too much and then she starts soaking in the praise at the fair.

1. Are you a fan of the New Gods being involved in stories featuring Wonder Woman and vice versa?

Yes! I loved the appearances by the New Gods in her New 52 run. Orion was one of her supporting characters during the New 52 and it worked extremely well. I also enjoyed Bekka in the Justice League: Gods and Monsters continuity. It just makes sense for those pantheons to cross. They’re both heavily involved in DC as a whole, they would clash. It’s great. I was bummed e only got to see the aftermath. This story was tied to the Superman one and it was handled in another book. Anyone know which one(s)? I’d want to read them. I do like that the god kings (Zeus, Poseidon, Hades) were affected by what Darkseid did and that it had a major effect on the Olympians. It actually had consequences. Unlike other books, you continue to feel the aftermath of many things that happen. I would like to see Wonder Woman guest star in some Fourth World books. I remember reading a Justice League book when I was in elementary school (I believe it was tied somewhat to the animated show) and Diana faces against Darkseid by herself. It was one of my favorite books. Her armor and bracers were really cool to me because Darkseid’s Omega Beam didn’t disintegrate them. Anyone know that story?

1. What did you enjoy about this version of Circe?

A ton! I loved that she was smart. She wasn’t trying to get tricked by those trickster gods. She thought ahead and planned for an eventual scenario where Hecate tried to double-cross her. I like her plan to make Diana clay again. Not killing her, per sé, but just poofing her out of existence. That’s dastardly. Usually, you see Circe turn men into animals, but sometimes the animals aren’t scary or don’t keep their wits about them. In this she turns a woman into an animal and the men and woman all are pretty vicious and smart while in their bestial forms. She has a cool outfit. I prefer her New 52 look, but this one has the trademark green dress. It’s also way better than the Rebirth design. I wonder what Hermes did with her. She’s gotta come back.

:sparkle: JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK (2018-) #2 :sparkle:

1. How are you feeling about the team dynamics? Are there any interactions you want to see more from?

I like that Man-Bat and Detective Chimp were hanging out together this issue. Not necessarily by choice, but still a fun dynamic. Detective Chimp trying to wield that sword is great. I want to see Diana train him to properly wield the sword and become a master swordsman or something. Man-Bat’s curiosity is nice. While you have characters that are familiar with this magic side of DC, Langstrom is not and it’s just fun. I’m loving Constantine’s outfit. I know he’s not part of the team, but I’d like to see him interacting with the team more. Not just Zatanna and Swampy, but I’d like to see him trade jabs with Detective Chimp and just speak with Diana.

1. How do you feel about the origins of magic as described in this issue?

I like how they described magic’s origins on Earth. The helm of Fate having the origin that it did was interesting. Those scenes now always remind me of Young Justice and their version of Dr. Fate. Nabu is pretty scary. How could they possibly take him down?

1. What do you predict the Witch Mark could lead to?

I’ll skip this one since I’ve read ahead :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Huh, didn’t know the attack on Olympus was from another book, but it makes sense given how little pagespace is devoted to it. I don’t think there were any directly Fourth World-related books running at the time, and Legends ended back around the start of the run, so I guess it would have to be somewhere in the Superbooks. I’ll let you all know if I bump into it anywhere in the Byrne era.

1 Like

@BatJamags I don’t know that it was from another book. I’m just guessing since they were talking about events as if we were supposed to know what happened. I mean, they didn’t have an editor’s note. I could just be wrong about that. It just felt like they referenced Superman/Wonder Woman meeting and fighting to protect Olympus in the same way they were referencing the Millennium stuff that happened previously in this run.

1 Like
  1. What do you predict the Witch Mark could lead to?
    These sort of things never lead to anything good…
1 Like

@AntLeon Right? Cultists dancing and fusing together to reveal a three faced god that goes on to mark the Amazon Princess? How could that possibly be bad?

3 Likes

In Metal, Bobo has a “more or less” origin. I have to balance No Justice with my much anticipated Legends read through. I want to see what happens to Dr Fate that Nabu had to step in proper. And whose body is it under the helmet. He was an ally to the heroes in Metal, but I am not sure who is under the helmet in that event.

When i was collecting, I remember “meeting” Perez’s Wonder Woman …I want to say in a Superman title that was post CoIE. What stuck with me was her response of “I am not unwell” to how she was doing. Which is what I like to say when at a funeral when I’m asked the same thing.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not too familiar with Bobo. I want to read Metal, but it just feels so daunting going over how many issues are involved in the story.

You’re making me wonder about whose body that is that Fate is inhabiting. I figured it was Kent. We don’t really know though. It was cool seeing the previous(?) Doctor Fate coming out of the vase. The scene where Khalid is talking and then his mouth just closes up and disappears was creepy.

1 Like

@BatJamags re: Discussion Questions

I think her developing those feelings for Superman work in this story too. It makes sense that she grew up with gods and goddesses as her ideals and so a god among men is one that sparks something in her. I enjoy when they show her struggling with those feelings and the dreams she was having :sweat_smile: It’s a little crack in the armor and we get to see her just be human for a second.

Wow, you’re already on #53? That’s awesome. Do you reread these or just go off of memory?

Yes! I loved how mysterious and creepy Circe and her bestial followers were. The panels were obscuring her so that we wouldn’t get a good shot until her reveal. That was pretty neat. You could feel her just watching and biding her time.

The stakes are totally higher for the magic users in JLD. I do enjoy the non-magical characters on the team. Bobo at least has ties to that world and knows a lot of them. The only real outsider is Langstrom. I like their being a man of science in these types of stories. It can be a cliché, but boy do I enjoy it. Besides, this scientist also turns into a giant bat! Not too clichéd. Wonder Woman and Zatanna are always theoretically on the same side. They also interact with many of the same characters, but I haven’t really seen the two of them interact much. I gotta agree that it’s an interesting dynamic to see play out.

Yeah, I’m not sure about that either. Especially after reading the version of Circe in the Pérez run. I’m not sure how the origins of Earth/human magic relates to the gods and their magic. We see Hecate in issue 2 of JLD, which makes me think they might address it.

Whoa! It takes that long to get back to the Silver Swan story? That blast must have knocked her hella far. I’m kind of glad about it because I didn’t enjoy the story, but I’m also bummed because I enjoyed the Silver Swan herself.

Superman crushing on Diana? Let me add Byrne’s run to my list real quick :joy:
Dang, Clark. Who does he think he is? Bruce Wayne or something? I could see him crushing on this Wonder Woman all over the news that happens to be powerful and goes around saving people. It’s like celebrities having crushes on other celebrities.

1 Like

@nu52 Metal isn’t too daunting. Some of crossover books aren’t in the Metal collection, but the end of Metal #1 has a breakdown

1 Like

Yeah, Khalid was actually the Doctor Fate during the DCYou period just before Rebirth. He was an Egyptian-American medical student who had the helmet thrust onto him. What’s funny is that for a while before that, in the New 52 Doctor Fate was solely in Earth 2 where there was a different Doctor Fate, also named Khalid.

tumblr_pg9urmDAA61wqiwt0o2_500.png

1 Like

And yeah, the Amazonian worshippers merging together was a super creepy image.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay

Okay, I’m glad I wasn’t the only one confused about Silver Swan’s suit. Is it a suit or are the wings coming out of her?

I also got a vibe from the pen pals that they might have been more than gal pals. I mean the friend was extremely invested in Valerie in such a way that we only see romantic interests depicted in comics.

I gotta agree with BatJamags about the way Diana’s sexuality is depicted. All of the Amazons watched Diana grow up and hand a hand in raising her. They haven’t mentioned any Amazons that were of Diana’s age and she was depicted as the only child birthed there. It would be strange for her to have explored with any of her maternal figures. I do prefer how her sexuality is depicted in the Wonder Woman movie. She’s not experienced with men, possibly is with women, but is still informed and knows what’s what.

Nessie did strike me as odd as I don’t recall anyone calling her that? Then again, Diana seemed to have bonded with Vanessa while Julia was away. Then again, other characters were suddenly calling her Nessie too. Was anyone confused about the timeline? I felt like some things happened in a few days, but others seemed to have taken a long time. I like when Diana calls Clark, Kal or Kal-El. Get some usage out of those names! Hippolyta also gets referred to as Lyta in the New 52 sometimes and I like it. I just was confused by Nessie, but it didn’t bother me. I just always kept thinking of the Loch Ness Monster because I always hear people call it Nessie.

I didn’t know there was a Legends crossover. I now realize how helpful those editor’s notes I’ve taken for granted are. I was a little confused about the explanation of the gods too. I did not mind the New Gods stemming from the Olympian/Titans conflict as there is a reason those gods are called “new”. Something had to predate them and be responsible for their existence. It’s something retconable anyway, especially since it’s not in a New Gods title.

Yes, I’m glad that the issues of Circe lined up with the issues of JLD that have now introduced Hecate more outright. I’m liking this version of Circe. I’m glad you compared the Harry v Voldy situation because that was another part I just was having a hard time getting. I didn’t understand how exactly Diana was tied to Hecate/Circe or if that was just Circe being paranoid of the gods and their ways (which knowing these gods is maybe not misplaced).

1 Like

@AntLeon

Oh my gosh :joy: Marble and steel! LOL, that must sound scratchy as heck.

Diana learning of Antiope’s fate was a great scene! I am hoping it’s not true and that Circe is wrong or was lying. Diana breaking out of the chains when she learned of it was awesome.

Hermes being one of the only ones keeping up with Diana, even after she’s saved them how many times now, makes me like this character. I’m just wondering what happened to all of the other Olympians that were so interested in Diana when she needed them most?

I like how the art added to Circe’s creep factor.

I’ll look into Metal. I remember I was reading Green Arrow at the time Metal came out and I never finished reading Green Arrow after one of the issues tied into Metal. I wasn’t really interested in it from what I saw, but keep hearing great things.

@Nu52: Wait, I misremembered. It still takes a long time but it’s actually in issues #42-43. I just knew I’d read it recently and thought it came after #50, but the arc I’m reading now has been going on for more issues than I thought. Also of note, Circe has yet to make a reappearance, but she casts a long shadow over several later arcs.

As for how far ahead of the club I am, I’ll generally skim the selections for each week to remind myself, since I don’t usually remember which stories were associated with which issue numbers, and what subplots happened in them.

Byrne’s Superman (and Action) is hit-and-miss, but it’s mostly fun stuff with great art and standard but well-executed plots. Corrupt “Skinny Kingpin” Luthor is a fun villain. I’ll just note that on the “miss” end of hit-and-miss, Action Comics 592-593 is to be avoided if possible. That is a deep well of ick.

1 Like

As far as Metal goes, i am ready for No Justice. it felt like a quick read, but i paced myself. Legends might be more books and presumably more daunting.

The best Super Wonder moment for me is at the end of the movie, Justice League: War. And it’s Diana making the first move. it’s hidden under her comparisons to the rest of the heroes.

1 Like

@BatJamags They’re playing the long game with Circe. I wonder what they’ll be covering next in the book. I’m kind of happy I don’t know much about this run.

That makes sense! I used to think you were just a really fast reader that got the reading done in a Flash.

And Circe is telling the truth about Hecate and everything else including but not limited to her plans to destroy Diana, then it is hard to think she is lying about Antiope.

I am liking the parallels between the perez run and the more modern Wonder Woman books. Am not sure how intentional that is.

And Hecate sounds like heck-a-TAY in my head.

1 Like

^and IF Circe is telling

1 Like

@AntLeon

You know what you mentioned just made me think of this image.

I really like how Superman is holding his cape. It’s reminiscent of how Greek statues/Ancient Greeks are depicted as holding their robes. I don’t recall ever seeing Superman holding his cape like that. You can understand how Wonder Woman views Superman at this point by just this image. It’s a great shot and really has a lot of story behind it.

1 Like