[World of Wonder] WONDER WOMAN (1942-) #327-329

World of Wonder Week 17!

WONDER WOMAN (1942-)

2019-11-20T08:00:00Z2019-11-26T08:00:00Z

:star::star::star::star::star:

DCUBC-Epics has kicked off the Crisis proper!

Join World of Wonder as we read Wonder Woman (1942) #327-329, which take place after issue 3 of Crisis on Infinite Earths. Worlds will live, worlds will die and the universe will never be the same.

:star::star::star::star::star:

What to read: WONDER WOMAN (1942-) #327-329

0%20(7)0%20(8)wondy

Expand for links :arrow_up:

:rotating_light: SPOILER Discussion Begins Now

:star2:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Did you find Tezcatlipoca to be an interesting villain in the first issue?

2. What are your thoughts on the Amazonian Senate/Antiope attempting to oust Hippolyta?

3. How did you feel about the journalists involvement in the story?

4. After spending multiple issues rebuilding Paradise Island after Eros did a number on it, a huge battle takes place on the home of the Amazons. What are your thoughts on that final battle?

:nerd_face: Share your thoughts on the reading overall and let’s discuss :nerd_face:

Questions or concerns? Reach out @Nu52 :inbox_tray:

Click HERE to get a cool flair and join the club

Watch and track #world-of-wonder to keep up to date with all club events

3 Likes

Holy potatoes @nu52 that’s an awesome piece of artwork! Your David Finch WW flair is sweet too. :ok_hand: :metal:

1 Like

Cool – looking forward to digging into these issues. :grin:

1 Like

With a cover like that, how can you not read it?

3 Likes

@Vroom Your Crisis on Infinite Clubs flair is awesome too!

@Jay_Kay I am too! I actually really enjoyed this series last week :joy:

@msgtv Especially with that “48-Page FINAL Issue”! I love that cover.

3 Likes

Yeah – I think when I posted my last thoughts on last week’s stuff I might have been a little harsher than I intended. I think it’s fair to say that if I were to choose between the Pre-Crisis Diana and the Post-Crisis Diana of the same time period, I’d definitely go Post. But the previous issues did have some fun elements to it, even if it was gloriously bonkers.

And definitely agreed with @msgtv (which is hard to type because I keep wanting to type “mgs” like Metal Gear Solid), that is one badass cover.

2 Likes

Issue 329 was so stellar that everything else kinda stands in its shadow.

I was surprised to see this happen. I thought the Amazons would’ve tried to talk to and help the queen instead of overthrowing her.

Seeing the fallen Amazons resurrected on for battle was intense, and I thought it was a cool touch to the stories since they were dealing with Hades.

Issue 329 was hands down my favorite.

The Romance :heart_decoration:

The up-close Destruction which ties to what’s happening in the Crisis on Infinite Earths :cry:

These are words you never want to hear!:

Married by Zeus. :heavy_heart_exclamation: Happy tears :sob:

Thanks again for a great pick @nu52!

1 Like

I like this cover, but I wish Wonder Woman were a little more prominent in it.

Those idiots shot her!
Speaking of, when time started Groundhogging on Wonder Woman I thought it was a misprint. I did enjoy the story, but I still don’t feel like I know what’s up with Etta. And what a dipstick boyfriend “where’s your healthy appetite” and “you look pale.” Jerk.

1 Like

Next issue is interesting but odd. On one hand we’re wrapping up the current run with the whole Iran-Conta-Tropidor-Burma deal. Then bam, Wonder Woman is outed, these two chuckleheads are like “wha…” Paradise Island is under attack and Diana saves the day. The action elements are very good and look forward to the big final issue.

2 Likes

Finally, the big issue culminating Wonder Woman’s run. Clearly with the reboot coming the creative team felt free to finish it the way they wanted. And it’s pretty satisfactory
!
This is not a good sign

Nice move

They killed Lynn, again!

Quoting Milton as everyone dies? Etta can do better

2 Likes

Did you find Tezcatlipoca to be an interesting villain in the first issue?

He was alright. The whole time loop thing was kind of clever – for a second I thought there was an error/bug with the issue I would have to report until I figured it out. But overall he was just kind of a standard big monologuing villain Diana smashed. No biggie.

What are your thoughts on the Amazonian Senate/Antiope attempting to oust Hippolyta?

That could have been an interesting story, but it felt rushed and I get the feeling that the writers involved didn’t realize what exactly was going to happen with Crisis and had bigger plans for this Amazonian coup than what they were able to do.

How did you feel about the journalists’ involvement in the story?

They certainly existed within this story. Really, all the characters outside of Diana, Steve and Etta felt bland at best, and completely useless at worst.

After spending multiple issues rebuilding Paradise Island after Eros did a number on it, a huge battle takes place on the home of the Amazons. What are your thoughts on that final battle?

The final issue was without a doubt the highlight of the reading. The reunion of Diana and Hippolyta, the tying the knot between Diana and Steve, all the Amazons banding together and the day ultimately being saved by Diana inspiring love between gods themselves – it was definitely a perfect way to end this era of Wonder Woman.

1 Like

The time loop was a nice touch, but at the end of the day, it is just another giant sized expositioning god that Diana thwarts with both brawn as well as brains.

What are your thoughts on the Amazonian Senate/Antiope attempting to oust Hippolyta?
I liked that the coup was more through peaceful means even though it was a secret meeting. Antiope’s plans got kieboshed when the Olympians called them to fight. More so when Antiope blocked a killing blow meant for Hippolyta.

How did you feel about the journalists involvement in the story?
they were more the cause of some of the trouble, from which Diana then had to save.

After spending multiple issues rebuilding Paradise Island after Eros did a number on it, a huge battle takes place on the home of the Amazons. What are your thoughts on that final battle?
The scope of the battle could have been better represented but it was also a way for Diana and Hippolyta to patch things up.

So, for those that ship Steve and Diana, they have this moment, where not only does Zues marry them, it is Diana who asks Steve. And what is their ship name: WonderTrevor, SteveWoman? I am not so hip to the pet name of “Angel”, but i am also not a fan of this romantic relationship. if said relationship works in whatever story, especially if well written, i can run with it.

the political intrigue wasn’t bad. it was more prevalent in the last issue of the selection (and yes, this run), where the rep of the general and the battle were sort of paralleled.

I thought Hades was married to Persephone. Unless Kore is another name for her? Kore was also referred to as Demeter’s daughter (unless i am mis-remembering). I did like how the battle was won through Amazon love: Hades reneged on the Anti-Monitor when he realized his wife still loved him.

1 Like

According to Wikipedia, Kore is indeed another name for Persephone.

In a Linear B Mycenaean Greek inscription on a tablet found at Pylos dated 1400–1200 BC, John Chadwick reconstructed[n 1] the name of a goddess, *Preswa who could be identified with Persa, daughter of Oceanus and found speculative the further identification with the first element of Persephone.[4][5] Persephonē (Greek: Περσεφόνη) is her name in the Ionic Greek of epic literature. The Homeric form of her name is Persephoneia (Περσεφονεία,[6] Persephoneia ). In other dialects, she was known under variant names: Persephassa (Περσεφάσσα), Persephatta (Περσεφάττα), or simply Korē (Κόρη, “girl, maiden”).[7] Plato calls her Pherepapha (Φερέπαφα) in his Cratylus , “because she is wise and touches that which is in motion”. There are also the forms Periphona (Πηριφόνα) and Phersephassa (Φερσέφασσα). The existence of so many different forms shows how difficult it was for the Greeks to pronounce the word in their own language and suggests that the name may have a Pre-Greek origin.[8]

1 Like

thanks, @Jay_Kay

Hades and Kore felt like an arranged marriage whereas, at least per the myth, Hades wanted to be with her, even tricking her with the seductive pomegranate.

Demeter calling them to fight is an interesting choice. goddess of the harvest, yet per Perez she grants Diana “power and strength”. Plus, Demeter was never too keen on hades and his tactics with her daughter. this is probably less of a point and more to convince myself.

1 Like

Discussion Questions

Yes. I really liked seeing his powers and they put into perspective what I had seen of him in the Rebirth story that Steve Orlando wrote. It made more sense seeing all of the different Tezcatlipocas in the Orlando story after reading this.It’s funny how many villains are giant during these issues. It’s a huge criticism the DCEU gets about the villains, but it’s comics accurate :joy:

I get what they were going for, but it was tacked on and rushed seeing as the series was ending. I don't know if it was something that had been setup earlier in the series before the issues we've read, but they could have abandoned this story and it would have been fine. In the end, nothing came of it and Antiope's sacrifice is just brushed over anyway. Paula and Sofia don't add much beyond this development. I would have liked this story as a stand alone, it seemed like something I would be interested in had it been more developed. Hippolyta was losing it over what she had done to Diana, she really wasn't being a great leader. I just don't think it was necessary with such a limited time frame.
    How did you feel about the journalists involvement in the story?
I actually really enjoyed them. I knew I recognized Haley's name from somewhere and then it hit me that she was in the CW's Supergirl working for the DEO. Her demise was rough. She just went through all of that crud with Tezcatlipoca and then it all ends with her slipping and falling into a fiery pit and then the ground just closes up. Harsh. I liked the reveal that the NatGeo ones weren't actual reporters.
I loved the final battle. It was intense and really felt like a big epic sendoff. Diana doing her trademark crossed arms is always a highlight for me. Often imitated, but never duplicated.

I felt so bad for the Amazons. All of that work rebuilding and it was pointless. They really worked hard after the attack from Eros just to have the Monitor/Hades/Ares come in and mess everything up.

Photo%20Nov%2027%2C%209%2025%2048%20AM
That’s how bad their island was left. I mean it doesn’t matter because Crisis reboots everything, but still…

General Thoughts

I loved the art in these issues. I’m a sucker for a good silhouette.

The monochromatic colors were awesome too even if they most likely were done to save time. I really like it. I was a fan of it in the Kevin Keller series, Life With Kevin, and I’m a fan of it here. It also stops the whole problem with colors bleeding from previous issues when it’s all one color! :joy:

Did this not remind anyone of Brendan Fraser’s The Mummy?

1 Like

Yeah, I was getting Wonder Woman 2009 animated movie vibes from that. I wanted to see Antiope return like that and fight Hippolyta herself. It would have added some more to the Antiope vs Hippolyta story, IMO.

All of the moments you listed were awesome! Also some were sad. :cry:

I enjoyed the romance too, but knowing that after the Crisis, Steve ends up aged up and with Etta made their final moments so sad. It also made Etta’s relationship sad.

None of those :arrow_up: couples remained in tact after Crisis :cry:

I love her red cape. Reminds me of the one she wears from New 52’s Superman’s.

3 Likes

I did have a, “Wait a minute,” moment, but the art was slightly different from different angles. It was pretty great how subtly they managed to portray that. I forgot about those things Etta’s boyfriend said… I think the writer was just trying to portray that he was in tune with Etta enough to realize that something was off with her, not that he was picking on her or anything.

:joy: Enter Steve!

1 Like

For me, recently, on my laptop issues will show page 1 in place of page 4 and 4 in place of 2. I thought that had happened at first. It was a cool little visual cue they did with changing the angle.

I felt the same way about that story. I could see it being a much bigger plot line. It was wrapped up abruptly. I guess that is realistic though. If the end of the multiverse is on the way, not everyone is getting a clean wrap up to their stories.

I liked them. I felt they were more interesting than the Amazons :joy:

I felt it was only peaceful because they were interrupted by the universe ending threat. You could tell that mob was ready to take out their queen. At least, it’s how I saw it.

Wondertrev

I like “Angel” because in multiple origins she is his “angel” that saves him after he crash lands on Paradise Island. It reminds me of Green Arrow/Black Canary’s “Pretty Bird”.

I haven’t gotten to the issue in Crisis where the Anti-Monitor shows up, so seeing him here was awesome and unexpected for me. It makes sense he’d go to Hades and Ares.