[World of Wonder] WONDER WOMAN (1942-) #322-326

Yeah, butttttt… I liked it :rofl:
They clearly were kill happy with Steve Trevor and had to keep reviving him :sweat_smile:
I do like the idea of someone being lost in the multiverse and not realizing it, because their world was just that similar. Did his Earth and his loved ones/friends/coworkers miss him and do they believe him dead? Was he really close with anyone if he could just be transported to a different universe and not notice? It’s kind of sad.

Right? We see the two disagree often and a lot of times from Hippolyta trying to protect Diana, but this was on a whole other level. Hippolyta crossed a line, IMO. It was super invasive and it warranted the response from Diana.

I can agree with that. People’s gums were white and their teeth flesh toned :rofl: but it could be that the color bled on the physical copy they digitized and that was the best they had :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Definitely agree about the dynamic between Diana and Hippolyta. While this is a rather extreme example, I do tend to like it when they are at odds, but still care deeply for each other. It makes for an interesting difference between her and the rest of the Trinity – with Clark having a strong, honest relationship with his parents, and Bruce losing them as a child and having these idolized versions in his head instead (though his relationship with Alfred has had it’s ups and downs – now I wonder what Alfred and Hippolyta meeting would look like…).

And yeah, I think it’s color bleed as well – I noticed some similar issues in the DC Comics Presents issues for the Superman Book Club.

1 Like

Diana is also the only member of the Trinity with a parent that can hold their own in a battle. Throw in the fact that Hippolyta is not just Diana’s mother, but her queen as well and that’s one complex relationship. I’d like to see Hippolyta visit the Kent’s farm and Alfred being there too. I wonder what that scenario would look like.

1 Like

Alfred was in the military and could hold his own with more normal enemies, but yes, gimme that story!

Similarly, I’ve thought in the past of a story of Poly, Jor-El and Flashpoint Batman: the trinity of problematic parenting. :joy:

And the myth i’ve read has her as lytE…

How did you feel about Steve Trevor’s story in the first issue?
That would be scorecard Steve who is meant to set the stage of the multiverse before it all goes awry.

What did you enjoy the most about the villains in these issues?
The Doctor Psycho sighting just because my first Doctor Psycho was the Gods & Monsters Doctor Psycho. And both that and this, the good Doctor used some sort of tech to augment himself to be on more equal footing with Diana.

What is your opinion on the conflict between Hippolyta and Diana?
To echo a similar sentiment, it was the most at odds i’ve seen the two.

This is not to butt heads, and more than likely, both are acceptable. And i know you prefer lytA, hence my lytA sighting alert(s) when i come across them. lytE is my …first appearance. this should be our biggest dilemma…

To go back on topic: the purprle ray overload may or may not be a parallel to Diana and Hippolyta’s conflict.

I keep forgetting about military Alfred, but I still can’t see him out in an alley fighting alongside Batman against Two-Face and the like :joy:

I do know that to be the case, but I’ve never read anything where she was actually referred to by that name except as a blip in her wikipedia entry. I should have said she’s most commonly referred to as “-lyta” :sweat_smile:

I got that don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

My favorite Doctor Psycho is still the one from Gods & Monsters. I like getting to see more of that villain. I’m actually looking forward to him being in the Harley Quinn show.

I hadn’t thought of the purple ray overloading as a metaphor for Diana and Hippolyta’s relationship blowing up after all of the tension buildup. Good catch!

The lytE/lytA debate mostly takes place in my head.

The rebuilding of Paradise Island almost had a “whistle while you work” vibe, constrasting Hippolyta’s brooding about Diana leaving. The one who stayed i think was there because of planning to stay for whatever reason. Who was then gossiped about wrt Hippolyta’s good graces.

I wasn’t so keen with how they drew Hippolyta. her style seemed dated somehow. I did like the mustaches which also seemed dated, but i liked how they were drawn.

1 Like

Just finished the rest of the issues and…man, this story was some wonderful, awful camp. Stopping alien invasions with the help of some plucky kids and a tiny alien so sweet and adorable that the Great Gazoo probably beat him up for lunch money. I kinda dug the Atomic Knight part of it, he was pretty interesting.

I think the problem I have with this era of WW is that it seems like the story relies on subplots from way before these issues, but the way it’s handled, it gives me no real want to go back and find out. So after a while, the mind just drops out and you’re in it for the funny gags.

What did you enjoy the most about the villains in these issues?

…That they existed? They were okay enough foils, but from what I’ve seen, the Pre-Crisis WW rogues are nowhere near as compelling as their Post-Crisis counterparts, at least during this period in time.

What is your opinion on the conflict between Hippolyta and Diana?

The conflict itself was mostly done in the first issue of this, and if I’m understanding/remembering right, that Poly basically mindwiped Diana of her memories of Steve Trevor, which…is something that would be bleeped by the board. A lot of somethings that would be bleeped by the board. And I thought New 52 Hippolyta made some bad calls! Sheesh.

Are there any quotes, panels, or scenes you found particularly compelling?

Like I said, I dug the idea of the Atomic Knight. I like that this one is actually connected to the Atomic Knights from the 60s comics, even if on a weird level, and he had a neat hook to him.

Also, Wonder Etta was just fantastic.

1 Like

… I joined to work through some of the dislike on Wonder Woman and so far I haven’t really been impressed… until now.
I really liked these issues, seeing a bunch of different wonder women/men was pretty cool.

1 Like

Me too! I was actually left wanting to read more stories with him. I like how his powers work and that they have some limitations. It’s not the typical premonition powers you see. It almost reminded me of a variation on Midnighter’s powers, except his weren’t battle specific.

I agree that it does rely on subplots. I can’t tell if it’s a product of the time or more that the series was ending and they wanted to wrap up loose ends.

I don’t know. I think there was more than that to the villains here :joy:
We also are catching them at the end of their run, so the compelling motivations and all that could have come before. The parts with the monitor were kind of interesting. Silver Swan being into Captain Wonder? I was intrigued and wanted to know about the why and how regarding that.

The best part was how easily the villains accepted Etta as Wonder Woman. Her little love story was also nice to see.

1 Like

Yeah! I enjoyed that aspect a lot. We get to see all of the Amazons and Wonder Etta as well as Captain Wonder (a villain version too). I’m glad you were able to enjoy these issues.

That’s a good point on the villains, I may just be seeing them fully formed in limited roles and just assuming they’re not that deep. Still, it just kind of felt like playthings to use to give Wonder Etta some bad guys to hit.

1 Like

Yeah, also it’d be a last hoorah for the villains. It was a way of them showing up one last time in the series and they were tied into the Monitor, so that was fun.

1 Like