World of Wonder | Week 72 | Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me #6 | Dec. 9-15

World of Wonder Week 72!

:sparkles: Come Back for the Conclusion :sparkles:

:star: :snowflake: :star: :snowflake: :star:

World of Wonder is finishing up Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me this week. We will be reading and discussing the conclusion to this story arc… What will Diana and the rest of the team do to get back to Earth?

:star: :snowflake: :star: :snowflake: :star:

When: 2020-12-09T08:00:00Z2020-12-15T08:00:00Z

What to read: WONDER WOMAN: COME BACK TO ME #6

:star2:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. What did you think of the Light Lords?

2. Did you find Princess Sibella’s backstory/conclusion satisfactory?

3. What did you enjoy about this issue and the story as a whole?

:nerd_face: Share your thoughts on the reading overall and let’s discuss :nerd_face:

Questions or concerns? Reach out @Nu52 :inbox_tray:

Click wonder woman gold logo to get a cool flair

4 Likes

Looking forward to this, it’s been a very satisfying story thus far.

3 Likes

It really has. I wasn’t expecting it to be as solid as it has been pretty much the entire time.

3 Likes

It is no secret that I love Conner/Palmiotti as a creative team and this entire series is no different. This book took a lot of turns that I wasn’t expecting like the inclusion of Jonah Hex, maybe I should have considering this is a Palmiotti jam. Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me 6 featured the Light Lords which I personally liked and I would like to see more of them, which I doubt will happen. Princess Sibella is an interesting character. She is manipulative and selfish. However, she is still young enough to change and seek redemption.

I enjoyed this series as I have with all of the stories that originally appeared in the Walmart Giants. I think Batman: Universe was the weakest of these titles and that wasn’t a bad title. The way how Wonder Woman was portrayed in this book was what I think of when I think about Wonder Woman. I do have a question regarding Etta Candy. In Come Back To Me she was a black woman, is this across the board for current Wonder Woman books? I have been reading the 2006 series on and off and just picked up The War Years so I have a while before I get to the current stuff.

3 Likes

Did you buy the Walmart Giants when they were coming out? I could never find them.

Jonah Hex has gotta become a recurring character in Wonder Woman stories now. I liked seeing his interactions with Diana and her entourage.

The Light Lords reminded me of the Anti-Monitor in a way. I could see them having survived and still being out there. I wish they had been introduced earlier or hinted at earlier, because it did feel like they kind of came out of nowhere. They were cool though and had an interesting design.

Princess Sibella would be an interesting character to bring back. I would like to believe she can change, but the things she did were really bad. I could see her doing things she thinks are right, but still going about it the wrong way. How does she deal with her own people selling her out?

Etta Candy has been a black woman in continuity since 2011’s New 52 event. Since then she has shown up as a white character in books like Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace and The Legend of Wonder Woman. What I gather is those are in a different continuity to the main line of comics.

3 Likes

I have a few of them when I could find them AND they were in good condition. I have been reading all of the titles that are reprints from those. Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace, Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me, Batman: Universe, Batman: Gotham Nights, Superman: Up In The Sky, Superman: Man of Tomorrow, Titans: Burning Rage, Swamp Thing: New Roots, Flash: Fastest Man Alive, Aquaman: Deep Dives. I am expecting to see a new Teen Titans, Ghosts, Harley Quinn, and Birds of Prey books appear as digital firsts within the next month or so.

It is weird that Etta Candy is white in Agent of Peace considering it had the same writing team as Come Back to Me in the first few issues.

3 Likes

What did you think of the Light Lords?
The main thing that struck me is that they were a couple. In this case, on the hetero side, but my takeaway is more about ‘no matter what you are doing, it is always better together’.

Did you find Princess Sibella’s backstory/conclusion satisfactory?
I was very satisfied with Sibella’s backstory. In particular, how the Light Lords were her and her people’s adversary. I like that her choices were because she lacked better guidance. And that her redemption started after crossing paths with Diana.

What did you enjoy about this issue and the story as a whole?
This issue also had that ghost in the machine conclusion when they were returned, including Nate’s successful re-spawn. But on the whole, a very good romp. Diana in space definitely has its appeal, so I’m definitely not going to knock it. The WonderTrev is very fleshed out and that “Get a room!” panel was a nice touch.

The art also carried the storytelling very well.

4 Likes

The entire run of this story was extremely satisfying. Nothing brilliant to add that hasn’t been said above, Jonah, art, humor, hot green alien princesses who turn out to be bad but then maybe not irredeemable, Wondy punching and thinking her way out of jams.
We had picked up a few Walmart Giants, but when you can’t count on getting the book it discourages you from buying. I hope they worked to get some kids or impulse buyers to grab one and maybe get into the stories and characters.

2 Likes

Awkwardly surfaces in a 7-month-old thread

Hey everyone…I am relatively new to DCUI and found this thread while attempting to learn to navigate tags. But since I joined DCUI thanks to the DC Book Club and since Wonder Woman is my favorite character I was just wondering:

Will there be more Wonder Woman Book Club readings? Or is there one currently and I just have no clue on how to locate it (entirely possible for me)? :face_with_monocle:

P.S. I loved Come Back To Me and I’m happy to see so many lovely comments here about it. It was just a really fun story with plenty of Diana/Steve and some good Etta stuff which is always a winner in my book. :blush:

P.P.S. This is probably a stupid question, but what are Walmart Giants? I am pretty new to comic reading as well. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

No such thing as a stupid question. :slight_smile: The Walmart 100-Page Giants were a series of 100 page anthology-style books that debuted as an exclusive Walmart line in the Summer of 2018. They featured a mix of brand new and reprint content.

The initial line carried on for well over a year, before a new assortment was launched in the Fall of 2019, at which point the line was no longer exclusive to Walmart. They got the books first, but comic stores would then get them approximately three weeks later, and with brand-new cover art, as opposed to the Walmart editions which typically featured cover art that was repurposed cover or interior artwork from the reprint-based content.

Here’s a cover gallery if you’d like to track them down at some point:

Wonder Woman 100-Page Giant volume 1 (the Walmart exclusive series)

Wonder Woman 100-Page Giant, volume 2 (This is the series whose issues initially debuted at Walmart, and then at comic stores a few weeks afterward)

#1, Walmart edition

#1, direct market (comic stores) edition

#2, Walmart edition

#2, direct market edition

#3, Walmart edition

#3, direct market edition

#4 (final issue), Walmart edition

#4, direct market edition

The 100-Page Giant line ended in April of 2020 and at Walmart, it was replaced by the bundles program, which is still in place. In the bundles, are four assorted comics and a poster of some type that features comic artwork for $8.99 per bundle. The bundles are quarterly releases with a new group of them being released every 3 months/retail quarter.

The total amount per release is usually at least 5 bundles, but there have been instances where a release featured 7 or more bundles, as was the case in March of this year.

3 Likes

Oh wow! Thanks for all the info, @Vroom! I still feel kinda dumb since I didn’t even know you could buy comics at Walmart. :sweat_smile:

So I guess Come Back to Me was published as part of these? My copy looks like this:

But I just got it from Barnes & Noble a couple of months ago, so it probably came out after the Walmart thing happened. :thinking:

3 Likes

You’re welcome. If you should want to check out the Walmart bundles, check stores that have a trading card section up front by Self-Check Out, as those are the stores that carry the bundles (as well as the Giants before them).

If you go by a store that has no trading card section up front, then you likely won’t find the bundles. I’ve yet to see a store with the bundles, but no trading card section, and I have oodles of Walmarts around.

Indeed. The new content of those Giants was reprinted in mini-series (I believe @D4RK5TARZ mentioned that previously, so credit to him for the 411) and trades, such as yours, as well.

If you only want Come Back to Me itself (and not the reprint content), then you’re set via the trade and don’t need the Giants.

OTOH, if you want the story as it was originally published (along with some rad reprints from other series) then you might find the Giants to be worth tracking down.

AFAIK, they’re pretty easy to get a hold of. Between local stores in your area and/or eBay, you should be able to piece together a set easily, should the mood strike.

2 Likes

Yep, the initial new stories in the Wal-Mart Giants were re-released as mini-series. There was this one, and two others, “Batman: Universe,” and “Superman: Up In The Sky.” Those were a little more coveted because they had bigger names attached in Brian Michael Bendis and Tom King, respectively.

If you liked this series, you should check out “Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace.” It started last year as a way for DC to continue giving out some sort of content while the industry was in lockdown during Covid, and the first few issues were done by the same writing team.

Here’s the link: DC UNIVERSE INFINITE

3 Likes

I have read Agent of Peace and I loved it! That’s really interesting on how it originated though, I didn’t know it was developed under lockdown. I read a lot of different WW comics very recently and don’t always have a clear sense of when they all came out in relation to one another.

Thank you for all the info! I have learned a lot this evening. :+1:

4 Likes

This club is on an unspoken hiatus. I await its return. In the meantime, you can search on the tag world-of-wonder for other selections the club has read.

3 Likes

Okay! I’ll check them out while I wait for it to come back. Thank you for letting me know! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@Angel212! Hi!
:eyes: I have some suggestions :no_good_woman:t2: :00_wonder_woman_gold: …and that other thing. :memo:

Here’s something you might enjoy:
Wonder Woman #195

Nah! No such thing :smile: Glad you’re going exploring!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Ah, my first smile/chuckle/li’l laugh of the day. :slight_smile: DCSHG v2 WW kicks ass.

2 Likes

@Angel212 lol, I should’ve known Mr. Rucka wouldn’t be new after our discussion last month, but :face_with_monocle: I have more! :purple_heart:

3 Likes