World of Wonder | Week 54 | Wonder Woman ('42) #178-180 | Aug. 5-11

World of Wonder Week 54!

:sparkles: 1 Year of Wonder :sparkles:

:star: :partying_face: :star: :confetti_ball: :star:

World of Wonder is continuing to celebrate 1 Year of Wonder! Join us as we read the infamous “de-powered” Wonder Woman. These issues feature the first appearance by I Ching.

We’ll also be having a watch-along for Wonder Woman 1974 this Friday, which draws some inspiration from this version of Diana Prince.

:star: :tada: :star: :birthday: :star:

When: 2020-08-05T07:00:00Z2020-08-11T07:00:00Z

What to read: WONDER WOMAN (1942-) #178-180

:star2:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

• If this is your first time reading this, did you have a positive or negative perception about this era of Wonder Woman? Did it change after reading the issues?

• For those that have already read these, what were your initial thoughts and feelings about DC taking Wonder Woman in this direction?

• Which moments did you like?

:nerd_face: Share your thoughts on the reading overall and let’s discuss :nerd_face:

Questions or concerns? Reach out @Nu52 :inbox_tray:

Click HERE to get a cool flair and join the club

Watch and track #world-of-wonder to keep up to date with all club events

2 Likes

Have you heard of the controversial “Mod Era” Wonder Woman?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Have you ever read these issues before?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not sure

0 voters

1 Like

Yay!!! The notification setting thing worked!!! Is this the same era as the secret agent era?

2 Likes

Woo woo! Glad the notifications worked. I believe it is not the secret agent era. You might be thinking of this one:

Dianaprince

1 Like

No, that was 2006. I have been reading that off and on over the past few weeks. I was thinking of the 70s.

However, after looking into this more it was the late 60s that featured the mod/secret agent thing.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot she later got the white outfit in this story. I haven’t read them before, just know some things about it. I hadn’t been aware of the 70’s issue you posted though. It looks fun :sweat_smile:

1 Like

About a decade ago they did a line called DC Retroactive. Sometimes there are books missing from DCU but are actually in these books. Each book featured one “new” story in the fashion of the decade and a “retro” story from the same decade.

2 Likes

That’s a neat concept. I would love it if they started doing those again. It’s pretty awesome. That was part of what I enjoyed about the concept of the Convergence event.

1 Like

They are on DCU as well! Wonder Woman has 70s, 80s, and 90s covered. She is also on this 70s JLA one.

1 Like

Thanks for the links! Lotta good stuff in that series.

1 Like

I was way too excited to find this series on here last week.

1 Like

If I was scrolling the comics section, I would have kept scrolling after seeing Batman as the cover image so I am grateful you brought it to my attention that it’s not just Batman stories :smiley:

1 Like

I would have done the same if I didn’t pick up a Wonder Woman issue and a Superman one when they were released.

1 Like

Do you still have the originals? That’s pretty epic. Is Superman your favorite DC hero/comics?

1 Like

I think I still have the original DC Retroactives. I was actually about to go check. It is probably safe to say Superman is in my top 5. I would add Huntress, Black Canary, Oracle, and Wonder Woman to that list.

1 Like

Great list. I love all of them as well.

1 Like

I still have the DC Retroactive books that I bought!

1 Like

Whoa! They look practically brand new!

1 Like

They are a little under a decade old and have been in plastic ever since I read them.

1 Like

I’ve read a little of this era, specifically the issue that was part of that Retroactive issue that was mentioned, funnily enough, but I’ve wanted to read more, especially after Denny O’Neil’s unfortunate passing.

2 Likes