World of Wonder | Week 53 | Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary Special | Jul. 29 - Aug. 4

1. Highlights, well the whole darn thing. I started here because I was attracted to the Wonder Woman/Batman Brave and Bold story and stuck around cuz it’s just been fun. My personal highlight has been the Legends of Wonder Woman series. I loved the art, the writing was fantastic, and not only didn’t a complain about the depiction of Etta Candy, I love that version. Just everything you want from a supporting character.
  2. Writers, it’s the normal list. She really has had an all-star writing lineup since Perez relaunched her.
    As for this issue. The first Occupied France was really well done and memorable.
    The poacher story, I enjoyed. It has a Disney-like feel, until Wonder Woman catches up with the poachers.

The story from the Legends of Wonder Woman series is great. This is Wonder Woman at her best, she refuses to give up on us.

One of the great things about these big issues is the artwork the put between stories. Here’s a few of my favorites

1 Like

If that is Hippolyta in the last one with the 75 in the background because she’s brunette…

If that is Hippolyta in the last one with the 75 in the background because she’s brunette…

Finally read the entire special. I liked the Wonder Fans. Probably because they included a boy.

1 Like

I also liked Star Blossom

Yep – she was brunette in Post-Crisis continuity, and is currently.

1 Like

“Oh Themyscira” – In sharp contrast to Rucka’s story, I think this little two page story (really more like two splash pages with poetic prose) sums up the story that him and Rucka were telling in the book better than Rucka did in eight, while writing in an interview format.

“The Age of Wonder” – I love this little story, really shows how normal people are inspired by Diana and her way of life. Also, BTW, if you are ever in a mood for a comic book that will absolutely make you cry your eyes out, I heartily recommend Fabio Moon and Grabrial Ba’s “Daybreaker.”

“75 Song” – I love me some Bombshells Wonder Woman, but…one of the things that bother me is when people try to emulate music in comics. It just…doesn’t work. I can’t hear it in my head, it never sounds right. Songs are meant to be heard, not read.

“The Legend of Wonder Woman” – A good coda/epilogue of what De Liz did with her digital series. For anyone who didn’t know (like myself), Irena Sendler was a real person who did some really great things in her life, a true Wonder Woman herself.

“The True Amazon” – Really more of preview pages for Jill Thompson’s “The True Amazon” OGN, which I heartily recommend.

“Democratic Design” – It’s funny, I recently read Mariko Tamaki’s first issue of her new Wonder Woman run which started with Diana shopping for new furniture and thought “Huh, that’s something I haven’t seen with Diana before, that’s kinda neat.” Then I read this. Really shows that there are no original ideas. :laughing: Story itself was nice enough, though.

“Big Things One Day Come” – Part of me likes this wholesome little story, another is a little bitter about the fact that Gail had to make up a new character for Diana to put under her wing when there are TWO different Wonder Girls that get absolutely bumpkis from this kind of thing because the Teen Titans editors refuse to let them be used and ARRGH. Nice enough story, though.

I make a note of the blonde vs brunette versions; it sort of evolved. The Hippolyta in question looks a lot like Perez’s post-crisis version.