World of Wonder | Week 51 | Dog Days of Summer ('19) #1 | Jul. 15-21

Ferdinand definitely felt like he went on his own little journey where one thread just kept unraveling and leading to another. It was quite enjoyable for me to see him progressing through the narrative on his quest for answers.

Hey, staycations are valid! Can’t knock them. Sometimes just staying in the comfort of our own homes is enough because we just need to recharge.

I’m willing to bet they are. Judging from your attention to detail, I’m sure you’re doing the overlords proud! I hope you’re not being too hard on yourself.

I don’t know about that. Superman, Batman, Steve Trevor, school children on field trips, and many others have all been allowed on Themyscira. You might even be allowed to stay on a neighboring island?

Firstly, that Wondy mystery mini is adorable.

I’ve never really “gotten” Krypto. Like, he always felt like a remnant of a past that nostalgic writers kept forcing into stories. This tale finally let me understand his character more. It was heart-wrenching and heart-warming.

I do like the design of Wonder Woman in this story. Not completely all for the actual art, but I do think it had some good moments. Just felt a little too unpolished for me. But when it came to the beac outfit, I am 100% with you. Casual cosplayers should be taking notes.

The image of Batcow you included, I couldn’t help but think why Batcow has a star on her. Batfam aren’t really known for stars so she breaks the mold. Unless they are known for stars and I’m behind on Batfammery.

OMG, that actually sounds perfect! I could see going to the Grand Canyon with her. The Smallville Lana and those alien(?) caves always come to mind.

I’m so sorry. I don’t know what to say, except that I wish you well and that you’re in my thoughts.

1 Like

If I’m being completely honest… This is nightmare fuel to me. I just feel this art is too unfinished somehow, even in the book. It’s like sketches where the artist never went back to clean it up, if that makes sense. It’s a bit amateurish. Their characters also have hair that looks a bit greasy. I’m nit-picking at this point :grimacing:

@AntLeon I do enjoy when Diana says, “By the gods.” It makes sense for her to use gods vs a singular god

By the end they gave a whole new meaning to “tourist season”

BTW I love those emojis. Brought me right back to the story.

I don’t know if we can write off Sejic for a run, because he hasn’t written the character yet, but I get what you mean about Wilson. I’ve only read her first arc on the book so far and it’s decent, I think she gets the character, but it’s not as memorable as her Ms Marvel run.

I’ll put it in spoilers in case someone else hasn’t read the Lemire run of Animal Man. Cliff, his son, dies at the end of the Rotworld event in the middle of that run.

I believe that is the case, he tends to post a lot of his warm up sketches and for a while he drew a lot of WW. His professional work tends to be a lot cleaner.

1 Like

I thought you meant having him solely as the artist for the run. I didn’t know he wrote as well. I do like runs where the writer and artist are one and the same.

Thanks for the clarification on Animal Man.

Yep – he’s written some books for Image and Top Cow, like Death Vigil and Sunstone, and he wrote the Harleen series for Black Label.

1 Like

I just want to shoutout the Killer Croc story. I don’t believe anyone touched on it or mentioned their thoughts on it. That was another sad one for me. I hate that the poor kid croc ended up going down a bad path and the way he was executed by Croc was very grim.

As far as art goes, the art in the Animal Man portion was stunning. My favorite art came from this story. I have never seen this costume before and it’s very 90’s, but it’s great. I’ve only seen his yellow costume and this took me by surprise. The art from this story really elevated the material.

These were some moments in the art I did appreciate from the Ferdinand story

I can no longer read entanglement without thinking of Deadshot and Fish Mooney
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.01.07 AM

Shaa is the best and I need her to get a solo book ASAP!

It’s crazy how tourist season is their hunting season now. I also like the callback to the Khund telling Dex-Starr that he’d wear Dex’s fur across his brow and then Shaa ends up wearing the Khund’s skull across her brow. Dark, but also kind of bada$$.

It’s also kind of funny that we had two bovine-related stories. I wonder what a Ferdinand and Batcow adventure would entail.

1 Like

With the Croc story, I must admit I was a little “eh” on it at first because I thought it was going to really play up the “Citizen Kane” thing all the way, but I was glad to see it quickly became it’s own thing.

The costume Animal Man had was actually the one he had in his New 52 run, plus the Morrison era leather jacket. It’s understandable to forget, though, because he tended to have his shirt off A LOT.

My face when I’m reminded of the “entanglement” meme and the sad reality of what seemed like the ideal Hollywood marriage falling apart:

All the talk of the evils of tourists reminded me of Adam Hughes’ Betty & Veronica miniseries:

1 Like

See, I never read his New 52 version. I only read as much as I could of the Morrison one before DCU pulled it a day before they said it would be removed from the service. Nice to know they continued the New 52 story into the Rebirth era of books (not that these are necessarily canonical).

I need to go watch Citizen Kane. It’s been sitting in my “to watch” pile on HBO Max.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.46.38 PM Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.46.29 PM

Nightmare fuel :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

It’s a rewatch partially then it’s not. I used to watch the show every Saturday on MeTV a few years ago. Always liked the show.

1 Like

Steve Trevor stumbled upon it. Batman and Superman can be allowed anywhere they please. They only seem to allow specific kinds of males on the Island.

1 Like

I think it depends on which era we’re talking about. Perez’s PI would eventually let others in to study, while the Azz era was…less than enthused about the prospect.

1 Like

Steve went back multiple times after he crash landed there during some continuities. If it works better for you, then you could have a vacation on Happy Harbor.

A vacation in the Batcave would be cool honestly

2 Likes

Yeah, getting to tour it would be incredible. I would want to stay in Wayne Manor and then at night tour the cave and go on a ride in the Batmobile :smiley:

Could also chill with Alfred too while Bruce and Damian and the rest of the BatFam does their nightly justice rounds

1 Like

Exactly! Plus, you know Alfred will cook up the best meals.