World of Wonder | Week 38 | Naomi '19 #1 + The Legend of Wonder Woman '15 #13-18 | Apr. 15-21

World of Wonder Week 38!

:stars: Wonder Comics: Naomi :stars:

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

Continuing with our Wonder Comics reading, World of Wonder will be diving into the first issue of Naomi! We will also continue on Diana’s journey in The Legend of Wonder Woman with issues #13-18.

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

When: 2020-04-15T07:00:00Z → 2020-04-21T07:00:00Z

What to read: NAOMI ('19) #1 + THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN ('15) #13-18

:rotating_light: SPOILER Discussion Begins Now

:star2:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. What did you like from the first issue of Naomi?

2. Is Naomi a series you’d like to keep reading?

3. What do you opine about Diana’s journey thus far in the Outside World?

4. Is the Duke of Deception an interesting villain, in your opinion?

:nerd_face: Share your thoughts on the reading overall and let’s discuss :nerd_face:

Questions or concerns? Reach out @Nu52 :inbox_tray:

Click HERE to get a cool flair and join the club

Watch and track #world-of-wonder to keep up to date with all club events

1 Like

Man, been a long few days. Just realized I didn’t know what World of Wonder was this week. Okay, back on track.

1 Like

Some initial Naomi thoughts: The date Dee mentions is Pi Day. A pretend crush on Anna has taken root and soon to blossom.

2 Likes

Did I miss something with Legends of Wonder Woman? Last one I read was #6. Anyway, will catch up though so far today 0 comics. That’s a bad number.

1 Like

7-12 was a week or 2 ago. still have to dive into LoWW…

1 Like

Don’t know how I missed that. Hopefully today can be a comic reading day

1 Like

Can’t say I care much for Naomi #1. I wasn’t really hooked by the artwork or the story. Character development is lacking. She is adopted and is a bit obsessed with Superman… nothing really to draw me into reading more.

2 Likes

Naomi’s obsession isn’t apparent until she says it out loud, presumably with her therapist. I was hoping for more show. I am not disinterested because it still might be fun to watch it play out.

1 Like

Naomi was a bit of a slow burn, but that’s to be expected when I meet a new character. I wouldn’t say no to another issue or two before I make a final critique. Im down!

2 Likes

At last, caught up on LoWW…

The Duke of Deception clearly needs a better name. I’d like to start with his actual name. That he’s a ginger is probably telling me something, but nothing is coming to mind.

Diana’s travels in Man’s World is hitting the right points. Diana and Steve reunite. Using the cover of a nurse to forward her agenda. I like that it is the magic items that make her super. Etta is the “author” of the Wonder Woman persona. I look forward to the costume reveal when that week comes along.

1 Like

Although in the Golden Age stories, Mars’ henchmen include the Duke of Deception, and there was Greed and some other creep

1 Like

Working on the Legends that I missed (spoiler alert, I love it) but wanted to weigh in with this outrageous take on Naomi. I don’t know. I like the art, I tend to enjoy Bendis even when has more talk than action. But, we don’t know anyone here or are in anyway connected to them. If this were a class, it would get an Incomplete. I’m done for another chapter or two also, because this is a subscription service. But, in the world of selling physical copies of comics, I’m not sure how this gets people to pick up issue #2.
And, I often find Bendis’ panels of talking heads amusing (I’m easily amused) but when I don’t know any of them and they’re saying the same things, and it’s not really funny, this is a waste of a page.

3 Likes

I also am easily amused. The panels seem to be a quick way to meet most of the characters.

1 Like

There was a lot of repeat background art too.
The foreground characters move but the people in the background are frozen in the same pose. It was a little bit lazy.

2 Likes

While there are no major hooks, i still was able to identify with Naomi even though i neither look like her, nor am i adopted. Identify might be the wrong word. I feel like i have an over her shoulder point of view of the story. I kind of like Dee and he wasn’t in the brady bunch like panel grids.

LoWW has been really good. The art carries the story exceedingly well.

Naomi’s art i like as well, but the panels are a little more static. or best to be appreciated on an individual level.

1 Like

I’ve caught up with my reading! As I’ve said before I love The Legend of Wonder Woman. This is so fresh, and fun, and beautiful looking. And, it has my all-time favorite rendition of Etta! Now for the story. While the first arc feels like a coming of age story, the next a Greek odyssey, this is the fish out of water/horror story. Each tone is handled flawlessly.
When we finally get the reveal of the billboard with the ad Etta was so aghast about, it’s funny and heartbreaking at the same time.

I’m laughing, but I feel so bad for Etta. No wonder she wants to run to Europe. The other thing I love about Etta is that her talents are used in a way that works with how she has been depicted so far. First, she’s a true friend, you know she’s got Diana’s back. And despite Wonder Woman’s powers, she needs someone like Etta to watch out for her. Then, this spread. This version of Diana could never come up with the colorful costume, but Etta can.

Finally, the covers for these books are fantastic, but this arc may have my favorite.

1 Like

I like Etta’s character.
I feel like Steve got the shaft in this series
He keeps going around moping that he has to be a public figure and poster boy and isn’t flying anymore.
It took him a while to get back into the thick of action.

1 Like