World of Wonder | Week 34 | Women of Wonder: Renae De Liz | Mar. 18-24

Menalippe is what she was called in the Wonder Woman movie. I really didn’t catch that they changed her named :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Yeah, in terms of names I also noticed that Alcippe is literally Phillipus from Perez on up, aka Hippolyta’s right hand lady and sometimes-not-so-subtly-lover with a different name. I wonder why they decided to change up so many names like this. Perhaps these are more authentic for Greco-Roman characters? Or they thought they should initially change some names to not draw ire about changing characters?

1 Like

I was wondering why they didn’t make Alcippe’s character Philippus when she’s already a canon character. Maybe on this Earth, their parents just named them something else? :sweat_smile:

So Alcippe is actually from Greek mythology. Several different answers but she was an Amazon and in some tellings daughter of Ares. I wonder if this version is using the Greek names versus the often Romanized names from the original stories. Like in the Golden Age Wonder Woman they use Mars and eventually change it to his Greek predecessor Ares

1 Like

If I remember right, her name is actually Phillipus, but she changed her name when they became part of Paradise Island.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay Oh, right. Hippolyta says it to Diana, right? I’m so out of it this week :joy:

@msgtv Hmm, Greco-Roman seems to be the norm. Writers just use them interchangeably nowadays :woman_shrugging:

Not that I’m an expert on either, but I do know that the Romans changed most if not all of the names and some of the stories. If I got to write WW, I’d go with Greek. We also need to draft a Greek mythology expert and make them read with us!

1 Like

I hear you – this week’s felt like at least a month in a half condensed down.

What’s funny is that I had actually read the first issue of this maybe a week or so ago and when I saw this I thought, “eh, it should be fresh enough that I’ll be able to figure out what’s going on.” And nope – no, it really wasn’t. :laughing:

2 Likes

I like both Roman and Greek names. I like the idea of the Olympians changing who they were with each nation to have worshippers on both sides. They were tricky like that.

1 Like

I was feeling this month was just flying by and suddenly it came to a screeching halt.

I read all of these 6 issues on Tuesday, but I think I’ll reread them because… Whew.

2 Likes

The name change was part of the bond that was forged between Alcippe and Hippolyta.

1 Like

Gosh, I love the use of cool and warm tones (blues and oranges) in this series.

Thanks for the screen shot @AntLeon

1 Like

When Diana wanted Alcippe to train her, I did like Alcippe’s initial reaction of “you should not exist”, not unlike The Circle. While Alcippe gives one explanation to young Diana as to why she will train her, we get another side of it from Hippolyta. Who happens to be blonde for this iteration.

With this new hierarchy of immortal and mortal amazons, I am guessing those that are chosen to make more amazons birth them the natural way vs Hippolyta’s heartache coming forth from the island. For this iteration, Diana is just one child among many, vs the “daughter of the island” backstory we usually know. That the writer started with the Amazons before getting to Diana follows a path similar to Perez; I like how it creates a foundation for the character. Because the next level is Diana and “that” man.

2 Likes

That is pretty interesting, that in canon Philippus was against The Circle, but in this story Phillipus might have joined them.

I also like that we are introduced to the Amazons first. We usually are in Diana’s origins and it makes sense that way.