World of Wonder | Week 34 | Women of Wonder: Renae De Liz | Mar. 18-24

World of Wonder Week 34!

:sparkles: Women of Wonder: Renae De Liz :sparkles:

World of Wonder continues to team with New to DCU Book Club, DC Pride Book Club, and DC Comic Book Art Connoisseurs for Women of Wonder in the month of March. Women of Wonder will be celebrating the contributions women have made to the comic book industry (specifically DC Comics).

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

World of Wonder and Women of Wonder continue to celebrate Women’s History Month by reading The Legend of Wonder Woman (2015-) written and penciled by Renae De Liz. Join us in reading this retelling of Diana’s origin which includes stunning art!

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

When: 2020-03-18T07:00:00Z2020-03-24T07:00:00Z

What to read: The Legend of Wonder Woman (2015-) #1-6

:rotating_light: SPOILER Discussion Begins Now

:star2:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. How did you feel about Diana’s inner conflict(s) in these issues?

2. What did you most enjoy about the art?

3. What are your opinions on Alcippe? (How’d you pronounce Alcippe?)

4. How did you feel about Hippolyta in these issues?

:nerd_face: Share your thoughts on the reading overall and let’s discuss :nerd_face:

Questions or concerns? Reach out @Nu52 :inbox_tray:

Click HERE to get a cool flair and join the club

Watch and track #world-of-wonder to keep up to date with all club events

1 Like

Wonder Across the Community

Are there any posts this week or before around the community that are Wonder Woman themed that you’d like more attention drawn to? Maybe something you posted or something by someone else. Post it in this wiki to let the rest of the club know about them.

Lyle Waggoner aka Wonder Woman TV’s Steve Trevor passes away - Sadly, Lyle Waggoner passed away on March 17, 2020. MSGTV and other members pay their respects.

P.S. Hope you’re all well. It has been one hectic week.

2 Likes

I do like this digital first formats as a change of pace for comics. This week will be all new for me.

4 Likes

Woo! Digital first comics have a really nice flow to them most of the time. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this book.

2 Likes

I am going to try for al-SIP-eh. I might slip into al-SIPPY, but i think that ‘e’ is supposed to be short vs long

1 Like

Al see pee?

1 Like

I’m going with al-see-pay :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s the one. Greek translations are tough, but I find falling back on vowel sounds in romantic languages will get the job done. :ok_hand:t3:

3 Likes

You are tempting the Gods when you decide to fundamentally reimage iconic characters. Even small changes can set off howls of outrage among the easily outraged. In the Legend of Wonder Woman, Renae De Liz alters the founding and society of the Amazons, their relationship with the Greek gods and Diana’s place and destiny in that world. And, she does it wonderfully.
Naturally, the first thing that strikes the reader is De Liz’s pencils and Dillon’s inks and colors. The images in this series manage to be cartoony cute and beautiful at the same time. Little Diana is adorable, but still able to be emotionally moving.

While basing her designs off ancient Greece, De Liz seems to have added elements from other cultures with some costumes carrying a Celtic touch.

But, for such a cute looking book there is definitely a darker tone that grows as the story moves on. Alcippe’s turn from antagonist to ally of Diana was not unexpected. Melanippe and Antiope’s reveal as internal threats to Themyscira was a surprise. The pairing of followers of Hades and Ares cannot be good.

4 Likes

That’s what elseworld type stories are for outraged crew! :sweat_smile:

I’m loving how you broke everything down and gave us a mini-review. I agree with a lot of what you said. I’m not too familiar with Celtic aesthetics so to me it just looked Greco-Roman. I’ll take your word for it. The faces are always lit brightly or in a way where the eyes are the focal point. The colors are vibrant, but so are the shadows, so that gives it a more mature feel than a YA book. Really enjoying this art.

1 Like

I should have used a picture of Melanie when talking about Celtic. I can’t say her look is Celtic, just that’s what it looks like to me.

1 Like

Stupid autocorrect, Melanippe

1 Like

I got who you meant, LOL!

1 Like

I pronounce her as MEN-a-lip-a. the ‘ppe’ is a hard p, but a short vowel

1 Like

I say men-uh-lee-pay

Edit: Actually, I think I’m saying it Meh-nuh-lee-pay/peh now :sweat_smile:

Apparently I say Melanie

1 Like

ie

1 Like

Okay. i noticed this:

2 Likes

Good eye! That might be where the confusion is coming from. Was it Melanippe in every issue or just that box? My mind must have auto-corrected it to Menalippe if that is the case.

1 Like

it was melanippe consistently in this week’s selection. I wanted to find another Menalippe other than the perez run, but am drawing a blank

2 Likes