World of Wonder | Week 33 | St. Patrick's Day | Mar. 11-17

I really loved that scene as well. I hadn’t thought of your point though. What a nice little detail. I just remember thinking how emotional that scene was. Both characters hiding their faces to show how they can’t meet the eyes of even the audience because of what they feel responsible for.

I know nothing about this character :thinking:

I really do love that we get to see the variant covers with digital books. The variant covers tend to be just as good as the standard ones and sometimes are even better.

1 Like

I know I’m way late again, but I was SO happy to see this JLD lineup. They’re almost all among my favorite characters, so I prob can’t judge any of it w/ clarity or nuance. I read an issue and just think, “Allll of that—I want more!” “I break for Diana, Swampy, Bobo & Zee!”
Not helpful. I know. Im sorry! I had to gush real quick tho.

All the variant covers and artwork were fantastic :ok_hand:t3:

3 Likes

You’re not late at all! You’re on time in fact. Had you already read this series?

I agree that the lineup is just really strong. Each one of these characters could hold down a strong arc.

You really don’t have to apologize. Gush away! You’re in the right place for that. :smiley:

I’ll be honest – I wasn’t sure if you were going to keep going on JLD after The Witching Hour, so I finished the digital trade I had and was going further with DCU on my own. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. I was always a big Vertigo reader and I love me some WW, so when those 2 worlds collide, I was like a moth to a flame. lol
And I know I didn’t technically add anything constructive to the discussion, so an apology seemed right. :facepunch:t3:

@Jay_Kay: Awesome. Are you caught up?

2 Likes

You gotta do what you gotta do. I think I just got really into Crisis on Infinite Clubs and other clubs wanted to do this series so I totally get you doing that.

Hey, you being here adds to the awesomeness! We got to know more about one of our World of Wonder members and that’s always great :smiley:

2 Likes

The other thing I was thinking about when reading this, when Man-Bat inevitably descends into madness it’s gonna hurt because how funny, curious and kind he is in JLD.

2 Likes

I would like for Man-Bat to stay on this course. I get that eventually a Bats writer will want to use him as a villain or something, but he just works well like this. We don’t really get curious and kind scientists in comics. Whenever he descends into madness, I’m hoping it’s temporary and this is the new status quo for him.

1 Like

on madness: Kirk’s been having nightmares. unless i read the wrong thing?

2 Likes

Do you think those are caused by his Man-Bat formula though or was that Otherkind shenanigans? He did mention his formula a few times in these issues, so I’m not sure about that. I figured what he displayed in these issues would resolve itself after the arc is done, but it could be the seeds they’re planting for Man-Bats eventual turn.

I believe it is Otherkind shenanigans.

1 Like

What’s interesting is that when Man-Bat first showed up, he was far more of a morally grey, tragic figure. At first he only really had the head like we see him as for most of JLD and he only grew the wings as the serum continued to mutate and warp his mind.

But, while there is precedent for him being more on the side of angels, considering Tynion’s previous history with Clayface on Detective Comics, I’m going to try to enjoy the nice reform arc until someone takes it to a tragic end.

1 Like

We gotta enjoy the good guy Kirk for as long as we can. I like seeing him in stories with Wonder Woman. This version of them and the version from Gods & Monsters made me appreciate that dynamic (whether allies or foes).

1 Like

I have been wondering whose body is under the helmet of fate and i think Nabu just manifested himself. I believe his agenda is to defeat the otherkind, but i am not sure.

1 Like

Huh, I never thought of that. I just kind of assumed it was Kent Nelson.

1 Like

I should hunt down the panel of the shining face.

1 Like

I always thought his powers left if he took his helmet off.

2 Likes

Thanks, @nu52. traditionally, Nabu can only take over if you put on the helmet. Plus, i thought it was somewhere implied we are post Kent Nelson with this iteration.

2 Likes

Maybe. When they had previously met him, I figured Kent was “gone” in the sense that Nabu had just completely taken over. I didn’t think the helmet had made itself a body. Maybe that’s why he retained the powers after taking the helmet off? I don’t really know enough about him.

2 Likes