World of Wonder | Week 26 | Wonder Woman ('86) | Jan. 22-28

Okay, not sure why I was thinking that was Cassie, Vanessa makes sense and Dr P references Silver Swan later

1 Like

On the subject of Doctor Psycho, he shows up late in the Perez run, and is pretty much like this. Less overtly sexist and no goatee, but still short-n-creepy. And even that doesn’t seem like much of a leap from Pre-Crisis Psycho based on the Crisis lead-in issues we read.

2 Likes

I think the only time I have seen Dr. Psycho taller is in the Gods and Monsters series.

Dr P was dwarf-ish pre-crisis? I remember his Captain Wonder being more on the regular height side.

1 Like

Captain Wonder wasn’t his actual body. He created it with that machine same as Etta made herself that Wonder Woman costume (if I’m remembering correctly).

1 Like

I think it was “like a wish machine”. but yeah, i know that wasn’t his body. i just can’t remember how short he was before his transformation.

1 Like

I don’t recall if we even saw him pre-Cap Wonder in that issue. Hmm, I’d have to go look.

@nu52

I have a question.for you and other Book Club owners as well as the members here, as to frequency of change in topic.

I.didnt realize this club seems to have a new topic every week when I joined the club last week

Is that pace too fast for some members?
None? Most? Some?

I am still stuck at last weeks topic, looking at Diana’s origin story as portrayed on TV Ruka Perex The Movie Secret History Book etc

i feel sorta stipid now not putting much more time last week and still continuing my reasearch as everybody else moved on

1 Like

Yeah, our discussions are weekly. I do post the dates in the original post. You can go at your own pace though. The topics remain open for whenever you’re ready to post your thoughts or for when you’ve completed the reading.

Don’t feel bad, everyone is on a different schedule. I’m glad to have you joining our club. You bring a lot of great facts and information to the discussion. You bring up some good questions though.

2 Likes

I finished the reading after the encore watchalong. So my only concern is keeping the movie separate from the books.

How do you view Veronica Cale? Is she a character you enjoy?
As villians go, I did like how quickly she joined in to kill Wonder Woman. Also the President is not to be harmed bit had its own flair.

Can you see why this story (in particular a certain moment) is remembered as one of the best? Do you agree with it being so highly regarded?
I don’t know if i see it. I might once I’ve slept on it. Turning a kid to stone while saving his brother is probably not what you mean either. Someone mentioned Maxwell Lord, but Wonder Woman killed Medousa on live television. I almost read ahead to see the aftermath play out.

What makes this story unique among other Wonder Woman stories?
The Olympians wore modern dress. at least until Ares was invoked. Her ambassador-ness seemed very lived in, that she had been doing it for a while. Did comic book Ferdinand come to Diana’s side the same way as in Bloodlines?

Which panels and moments were your favorites?
I really should go looking…

1 Like
  • Which action sequence was your favorite?

I think I’ll go with the final fight with Wonder Woman vs Silver Swan, then the two versus Medusa. It showcases both of the most important parts of Diana: the warrior, and the healer.

• Which supporting cast member did you enjoy the most?

I would say it’s pretty even between Steve and Etta. Both had great moments throughout the story in terms of drama and comedy.

• Out of all of the villains, which one was your favorite?

Silver Swan, definitely. With the screentime she had, she was great at being both a physical and mental foe for Diana, and the drama between the two over Julia, Vanessa’s mother and Diana’s mentor/surrogate mother, was very well done.

• We’ve seen and read a few origins for Wonder Woman now, did you enjoy this one?

I think the best origin of Diana tends to have both the Contest and Diana hiding her identity because of Momma Drama. In this we’re half way there – plenty of Momma Drama, but no Contest, until the very end. But still, the drama of stealing away her armor and running out to protect mankind has it’s merit, especially at the end with Diana’s tearful reconciliation with Hippolyta.

1 Like

On the issue of pace, I’m a member of more clubs than a participate in during any particularly week. I follow a bunch and jump in and out as I can.

As for Stoned, if I remember correctly I started reading Wonder Woman again in the middle of this story. There is so much going on here, it really is an incredible ride. First, as a dude I’m completely creeped out by how Dr. Psycho talks/acts toward Diana.

Ferdinan is an awesome character. He provides a little comic relief, he acts as a sounding board for Diana as somewhat who understands the whole world of Greek myths, and when needed his a tough hombre.

This is just funny.

The fight sequences with Medusa and Diana are incredible. From the snakes, to Diana’s warrior attitude to innocents caught in the way.

This really is a first rate story.

2 Likes

my $0.02 with respect to the club’s pace: If i am going to join a book club, I want to be able to participate for each selection. I kind of assumed most clubs run their discussions weekly, but there are exceptions. As to the other clubs, I like to participate when i know i have the time. This also assumes you don’t have to be a member in order to participate (there may be an exception to this as well).

1 Like

And now the Bloodlines discussion questions with at least a sleep on it, but not with a second viewing…

Which action sequence was your favorite?
All the fight sequences were really good. Watching Vanessa turn against her makers and join Wonder Woman in the fight against Medusa (Medousa?) was a good moment.

Which supporting cast member did you enjoy the most?
I think I will go with Steve. It might be that I have a soft spot for Jeffrey Donovan, but this was a Steve Trevor that I definitely liked. They didn’t play up the WonderTrev, but i do like the idea of them going on missions together. this iteration of Etta was also up there, especially with respect to Steve and Etta’s relationship. I agree with whomever said it, you can tell they’ve been working together a while, that they are friends as well as coworkers.

Out of all of the villains, which one was your favorite?
This one is tough. Veronica might have to get my vote because of the long con she played to get the location of Themyscira.

We’ve seen and read a few origins for Wonder Woman now, did you enjoy this one?
I know i expressed my preference of the theft version of events, but the contest version isn’t exactly meh either. Is there a combo of the two? that even after winning, Hippolyta says no and Diana steals the armor and lasso and goes anyway.

2 Likes

Not that I recall. I think even when Diana sneaks into the Contest and wins, Hippolyta usually relents at that last moment. I could be wrong, though!

1 Like

How do you view Veronica Cale? Is she a character you enjoy?

She’s…okay. Like, she can be enjoyable, but she feels too obviously “let’s give Diana her own Lex Luthor.” I feel like more could have been done to distinguish them. What if instead of a businesswoman, this adversary was the Queen or President of a corrupt, warmongering country that has aims for Themyskira?

Can you see why this story (in particular a certain moment) is remembered as one of the best? Do you agree with it being so highly regarded?

I think it’s absolutely the best moment in Rucka’s entire run. I think it shows Diana’s strength and sense of will and her drive that she is willing to go to such lengths to protect those in her care.

Another interesting part of it is the fact that the entire world witnessed it. It was cool to see regular people react to this, not believing it at first, rooting for Diana, and then their silence at the end. Seeing her blind herself and slice the head off a monster I think really made the world see her in a new light, and help set the stage for a bigger moment that would come not long after this…

What makes this story unique among other Wonder Woman stories?

I think especially in more modern WW stories, we tend to see Diana as a mediator, as someone who tries to talk first. It’s scary to see her succumb to her baser instincts and initially try to kill Medusa before the fight can begin.

Which panels and moments were your favorites?

Outside of the obvious, I think Psycho tricking the guards around him that Diana is The Joker was pretty cool.

1 Like

I may hold a rather odd opinion here, but I actually enjoy the aftermath issue (#211) over the actual story arc here. I like Diana’s conversation with Athena and its contrast between the cosmic and human views of suffering. I just have a thing for the topic of theodicy. :wink:

2 Likes