World of Wonder | Nº73 | Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 1 | Jan. 27 - Feb. 9

I thought it had to be more strobe-y for it to trigger someone, but i get your concern. I was also thinking the spoiler blur.

2 Likes

Have you read this or any of the other Earth One stories before?
This is my first Earth One story.

What did you think of this take on the Wonder Woman mythos?
This take took elements from previous tellings. The bondage of Marston, the Holliday girls of De Liz. Even the story of being made of clay is familiar, yet given a new spin, even as a lie.

This version of her parentage definitely feels better than Diana being a daughter of Zeus. Although I did like the implication in JL/JL:U that she is a daughter of Ares. But i think it is more that we get brunette Hippolyta’s motivations that are less longing for a child, but more about vengeance and spite.

What are your thoughts on the art in this book?
I liked the focus on faces. I will have to post some panels.

2 Likes

Before the inevitable meeting of one Elizabeth Candy

The Patriarchy

I like this summary of Paradise Island.

Aren’t we all?

I like Beth’s look (lewk?)

I like how Mala has a Cassie Sandsmark look. I also like the inclusion of Troia, with the bonus of no Sparkle suit.

2 Likes

Read this when it came out, think a copy from the library. This is an entertaining, beautiful looking book. Don’t necessarily agree with every reinterpretation (Beth?) but it does make a coherent min-universe.
The first thing that really struck me was not just the inclusion of Marston level bondage, but the inclusion of Marston’s theory of ‘submission to loving authority’ being explicitly stated by Wonder Woman. The theory, IMHO is whacked (‘loving authority’ would not require submission’) but that is an accurate reflection of what Marston believed and wrote into many of his stories.
I also like the inclusion of version of the other Wonder Women and Wonder Girls.
Like @AntLeon, I found the origin story not only plausible, but as good an answer to Wonder Woman’s place in the world as any. It explains her powers, why in the case they’re greater than your average Amazon, and the violence that she is the result of now only helps explain her mother’s isolation of Paradise Island, but also gives a nice juxtaposition to Diana’s mission of peace.

2 Likes

I like this motivation behind Hippolyta wanting a child, albeit a daughter specifically.

The Marston submitting to loving authority is allegedly a path to freedom.

3 Likes
  1. Have you read this or any of the other Earth One stories before?

Yep – I bought this both in digital and in print, and I’ve read all the Superman, Teen Titans, and Batman books in the past. I think the only one I haven’t picked up yet is Green Lantern Earth One Vol 2.

1. What did you think of this take on the Wonder Woman mythos?

I love it. Morrison has said in the past that Wonder Woman is a character they struggled with and never had the best handle of. But I think in going back to the original take, Morrison really made up for lost time and did an amazing, likely influential take on the character.

I like how the story both embraces and challenges those original ideas. It embraces it in that Diana is more of an agent of peace, who hardly throws a single punch, but rather uses truth and reason instead. The twist that she was created for war but was so willful and steadfast that her mother’s heart melted was also a very poignant idea.

However, it also complicates some of those ideas. It kind of says it in a roundabout way, but I think making Steve Trevor in this universe an African-American male, with him speaking about how he is an ancestor of slaves is meant to complicate the idea of a group of people “submitting to a loving authority.”

1. What are your thoughts on the art in this book?

I LOVE the artwork here. I first noticed Yanick Paquette’s work on other Morrison projects like Seven Soldiers: Bulleteer and then saw it grow even more in books like Morrison’s Batman Incorporated and Scott Snyder’s Swamp Thing. Of course, one of the big things you notice is the way he draws women. Similar to artists like Frank Cho or Adam Hughes, Yanick draws these iconic women and highlights their beauty and strength, while being able to tell an effective story just from the art. But what he does better than them is his sense of storytelling and the innovate, organic while still being easy to read. The only artist I can think of that does this even as close is JH Williams III.

1 Like