[World of Wonder] JL: The Darkseid War: Green Lantern/Shazam/Lex Luthor + Justice League (2011-) #46-48

I always assumed Granny was more of a title or honorific than actually being a grandmother.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s how I always viewed it. I also figured it was a way of showing how bad Apokolips is where typically grannies are the best and full of goodness, Granny Goodness is the opposite.

I also didn’t think of Granny as Trans even with Ed Asner doing the voice.

1 Like

See, agreed on all counts. I always saw Granny as more of an honorific title. I think that she honestly believes herself to be a benevolent adopted grandmother to the orphans of Apokolips. And, if you think about it, she pretty much is the closest thing to a benevolent individual that Apokolips has. Yes, she tortures and berates the children in her care, but she toughens them up enough to survive on Apokolips and she raises up the ones that she can to elevated positions (such as the Furies for example). It’s not our idea of love, but on Apokolips, I think that’s what passes for love. So I always just assumed that she styled herself as Granny Goodness because that’s how she saw herself, not specifically because she was a literal Granny.

And as far as I know, and can find, she doesn’t at this point have any mentions of being a biological grandmother anywhere in DC anthology. Nor did I really expect to find any such mention. I just thought it was really interesting (and perhaps a bit sloppy) that they threw that panel in. Although the humor factor is enough for me to forgive it lol.

I too have always seen her as transexual. And I do think that is done intensionally. She is meant to be seen as quite masculine. If it was actually done in tribute to the LBGQ community, I’m not entirely sure about all that, but I certainly don’t think it was meant to be offensive either. We see a lot more characters being added that do incorporate non traditional sexual orientation all the time, but at the time that Granny was created, I think that it was already being done to an extent kinda on the DL. So maybe she is truly trans, maybe not, but she’s definitely meant to be overly masculine for sure.

1 Like

@AntLeon I understand. It’s just something I always thought because Granny was voiced by men and she also resembled Ursula from Disney’s The Little Mermaid. Ursula was designed after a famous drag queen, so I guess I put that history on Granny in a way.

@CharlieSheensDealer You make some really good points that on Apokolips, Granny really is the closest thing to goodness. That’s a frightening thought. We don’t know if any of her children actually survived. She might have taken on the Granny persona to make sure children are strong enough to whether Apokolips. It might have been a bit sloppy to include that panel, but it’s got us talking and pondering about a whole bunch of possibilities, so I like it.

If you haven’t read it yet, it sounds like you really need to check out Tom King’s Mister Miracle, because they really do play a lot with that concept in the series.

2 Likes

That Granny is freaking me out . I don’t like it :joy: I do want to read that Mr. Miracle eventually, but I don’t see myself buying it anytime soon.

1 Like

do i even want to know what color Apokolips jell-o comes in?

2 Likes
  • Which one-shot was your favorite?

Speaking of Tom King, I think I would have to go with Green Lantern. I really enjoyed how the issue played with the idea of Gods and free will, concepts both important for this story and for Green Lantern in general, and in a way that also explored who Hal is as a character.

• What could Grail want with Steve Trevor?

Well…he is hot…

Seriously, it’s been a while since I read this story, but I figure it has something to do with him being the first man to touch Themiskyra.

• How do you feel about Mobius’s personality and appearance in his new form?

It’s kind of scary. I mean, in stories like Crisis, he’s had his grand, horrifying plans, but he seemed more distant, aloof. While he seemingly isn’t as powerful as he was before, he seems to relish and enjoy the pain he’s inflicting.

• Could working with the Crime Syndicate be a good thing, or is it bound to end badly?

I do enjoy this because it really helps feel like a proper end to Johns’ run on Justice League. It started with Darkseid invading this world to find his daughter, in the middle the League had to give everything they got to stop the Crime Syndicate. And now at the end the League has to team up with the Syndicate to face down Darkseid’s daughter and Mobius.

But is it going to end with some sort of betrayal? Absolutely.

• What was your favorite moment(s) from these issues?

Like others mentioned, Hal floating with Batman on a couch construct was fun.

I also really loved the big splash page of all the Green Lantern Corps coming down on Mobius.

2 Likes

Awesome addition to the conversation @Jay_Kay

OMG @AntLeon took the words right out of my mouth ROFLOL! That is so awesome. Ok, I really need to read some Mister Miracle.

You do have a point here @nu52 it IS kinda freaky. It’s like, what do I do with that Granny?! But at the same time, it does support my theory, so I guess I kinda gotta like it too lol.

1 Like

:tea: :tea: :tea: :tea: :tea:

It really is scary seeing Mobius like that, especially when he battles Ultraman. I like how John’s run ties into this arc. It’s like a good puzzle. I also loved the image of all of the Lanterns showing up! I mostly recognize then from animation, but I am definitely interested in learning more about the Lanterns in the comics now.

1 Like