[World of Wonder] BATMAN/SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN: TRINITY #1-3 &...✨

Also, I split up these posts so I could post specific bits of art including that iconic moment in BVS and I COMPLETELY FORGET TO POST IT. Jeez, need more coffee.

293884104_4643493549001_Screen-Shot-2015-12-03-at-3-21-11-PM.png

1 Like

@Jay_Kay Could be! I guess I hadn’t thought of the Lazarus Pit’s side effects. The narration made it seem like the island had some part in it, but I could see it being from the Pit. By the way, that scene of Wonder Woman coming out of the pit was great.

JL:tAS and BvS both were great. I still remember watching the trailer for BvS and when Wonder Woman showed up, I was extremely happy. “Is she with you?” I also liked when they met in JL War and I really liked how they met in one of Wonder Woman’s Rebirth Annuals.

I’ll have to go back because I really thought they all pretty similar as I was reading. I don’t think you could show me two panels from two different chapters and I wouldn’t buy that they’re from the same person.

1 Like

I haven’t read those books yet, but that imagery of Wondy is pretty iconic. I kept thinking of Miller’s Diana while reading this book. I also got throwback vibes to William Moulton Marston’s Wonder Woman. I really like that version’s aesthetic.

1 Like

Yeah, the Annual was pretty good, though I kinda don’t like Bruce calling himself “Batman” while holding the lasso. I never was a big fan of the whole “Bruce Wayne is the mask” thing. To me, both the public Bruce Wayne philanthropist and the Batman vigilante are both performances he does to fulfill his mission.

I can understand most of it feeling pretty seamless because I believe most of it is done by the same inkers as the regular title to have some uniformity. In fact, I believe teh Steve and Etta story is actually penciled by the regular inker of the series with Perez inking, which is pretty fun. I think Curt Swan would have stood out a lot more if he had a different inker working on it as well.

John Bolton is pretty interesting because when I looked him up, I saw that his initial comic book work was restrained, closer to the regular Perez style (but with more emphasis on shadow and mood), shortly after this he became more focused on horror and his art style became NUTS. An extreme mix of cartoonish proportions and photorealistic shading and shadows Here’s an example of the work he did on a Man Bat series in the 90s.

1 Like

:sparkle: BATMAN/SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN: TRINITY #1-3 :sparkle:

1. What are your impressions on the villains that the Trinity faces in these issues?

I like the idea of these three that are sort of mirror images of the Trinity. It reminds me of the “Dark Trinity” from Red Hood and the Outlaws, except that Ra’s Al Ghul makes much more sense in the group than Red Hood. The Purge was basic, were they just a version of the League of Assassins? I did like the idea of Ubu. Bizarro being Superman’s clone made me think about how that could have been Superboy if just a few things were done differently, that’d be Connor’s fate. Bizarro’s story was sad because he just wanted friends and didn’t want to feel hurt. I’m still not sure how in the world he managed to break the unbreakable lasso. That was bizarre. I can see what @Jay_Kay means about Artemis. I did like her inclusion though. She was young and rebellious, not really evil. Her outfit changes and hairdos were fun, even if I thought the last one had a crazy hairdo. I liked that they brought up the Bana-Mighdall. Ra’s was little creepier than I’m used to, but he was still pretty formidable. None of his plans with the nukes ended up working out, but the heroes had to struggle to make sure of that.

1. What did you most enjoy about this version of the Trinity meeting for the first time?

I also enjoyed the clashing of Wonder Woman and Batman. That was a lot of fun. It also felt natural. Then Diana and Superman meeting was the opposite, where they had a mutual respect going on from the start… and a mutual attraction. I love Wonder Woman and Superman as a couple, so that was a big highlight for me. It does make sense that Batman and Superman would have already met.

1. Where there any particular quotes or scenes that stood out to you?

Speaking of Wonder Woman and Superman meeting for the first time. That entire scene stood out to me. I enjoyed how Superman thought Diana was coming out of a portal. I like how he admits that she’s the most magnificent woman he’s known. I like how he’s shocked that she’s flying just like him, and that he’s not alone. I liked Diana being straight forward and telling him why she’s there. I also mentioned this earlier, but the quote where Hippolyta tells Diana that she is a creation of life and not a corruption of death the way a Lazarus Pit is was probably my favorite line.

1. Do you have a favorite origin story for the Trinity?

I really like the way the Trinity meets in BvS. It was a huge highlight for me when that movie came out. It was great seeing Wonder Woman come down from the sky and block Doomsday’s attack. This story might be up there for me now. It was enjoyable and I liked the character interactions.

:sparkle: WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL (1988-) #1 :sparkle:

1. Which chapter/story was your favorite from this Annual?

The entire Annual was great. Chapter 2 was my favorite, that is until I got to the Myndi chapter. I liked getting to see Antiope and I liked seeing Diana and Hippolyta interacting. The part with Hypsipyle was tragic. The gods really sent her to see the doom of her home that she ruled over just to warn the Amazons and then they didn’t even realize that’s what had happened. I get the feeling Phthia might come back. They made sure to tell us she went off with Antiope for a reason, right?

The Myndi portion was my absolute favorite. Myndi really tried to hold her family together. It was sad seeing how she slowly went toward her addictions. It was nice getting to see her being herself again though, not stressed out to the fullest by all of the lawsuits and the drugs being sold out of her company. She was cracking jokes and being Myndi. Her relationship with her brother was touching. I’m glad that she did end up getting to go to Themyscira after all.

Seeing Julia’s story and her husband was also neat.

1. How do you feel about the revelation regarding Julia’s ties to Themyscira?

I have mixed feelings. I like the story, but I’m not sure that I like it for Julia. I was intrigued that they mentioned males also have been imbued with the Amazon ways. It also explains why the Amazons haven’t felt the need to spread their teachings by leaving the island because they felt they were already doing something by way of these kids they were sending back. It just felt too convenient. The gods would totally pull a stunt like this in other mythology, but I’m not sure if these gods which seemed out of touch, would have the forethought to place Diana in Julia’s home because they somehow knew about this.

1. Were you content with the outcome of Julia’s/Vanessa’s visit to Themyscira? How does it compare to Superman and Batman’s visit to Paradis Island in Trinity?

I was. I l would be like Vanessa, taking pictures of everything. It seemed like a ton of fun. Superman and Batman going to Themyscira is always because of some big threat and it’s also a lot of fun as a reader, but Vanessa and Julia going there was a much more pleasant and laid back visit that really let us know more about the other Amazons. and their way of life besides just the preparing for an invasion version.

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay I agree with you 100% about the Bruce is a mask thing. Maybe at that point in time Bruce was going through a crisis and really believed the Bat was who he was more than Bruce? It was earlier in their career. If Bruce wasn’t who he was then the death of Bruce’s parents wouldn’t be as important and his relationship with Alfred and Dick and Damian wouldn’t be as important. Just because the playboy Bruce is a farce, doesn’t mean the Bat is who he is. I don’t like when people say that about Clark too. There’s the Daily Planet fake version and the actual Clark, Kal-El. Which reminds me of another scene I liked in this week’s reading where Clark is talking about his home planet and their customs while musing about what he thinks people in that society wore. That was a nice touch.

It’s crazy how versatile these artists can be. They really played ball here trying to capture what this series had been up to this point and not trying to make it their own, putting the character first. Nowadays, you don’t see that in annuals or anthology stories with different artists. They all are clearly doing their own thing (nothing wrong with that).

1 Like

And with the Art Adams art, here’s a quick and dirty comparison I did with two similar scenes.

1 Like

Oh, and speaking of Miller’s Wonder Woman in conjunction with William Moulten Marston, Frank Miller and frequent collaborator Bill Sienkiewicz actually toyed around with the idea of doing a Wonder Woman story that explored that time period and some of the themes of truth and bondage that would have been called “Wonder Woman: Bondage.”

I would love to see them do this sort of story, though I get the feeling that would be VERY controversial nowadays.

1 Like

Yeah, Artemis’ punk hair got pretty crazy, and at first I was confused by it but considering how back in the 80s/90s the Bana-Mighdall were portrayed as more conservative, it makes sense that as soon as she breaks away she would immediately go the exact opposite.

You know, with how you talk about the Super/Wonder couple, I’m surprised you haven’t posted any of the Superman/Wonder Woman series as reads yet!

And yeah, while at this point I’m pretty blind in terms of actually reading the Perez stuff, I do know for a fact that Phthia and the second Amazon tribe do come back in a big way both in Perez’s run and in future runs.

2 Likes

Also, the opening and closing pages by Brian Bolland do look quite different from his normal work where I believe he inks and colors himself. He would later on do a long stint of covers for Wonder Woman. This one is my favorite, not just for the comedy of Diana being in such a position, but because it’s very clear it’s drawn by a Brit who had never seen Mexican food in his life. :smiley:

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay Maybe my eye for art just isn’t there because I don’t really see a difference in the two scenes you posted. I liked that though because it was one continuous story and it didn’t distract me one bit. The Looney Tunes story we read before where the second story continues from the first, but has a complete tonal shift and the art is extremely different is what I’m used to when reading books with different artists. I liked that I could really tell someone else had come on board.

2 Likes

See, that might be interesting to explore, but I don’t know about trusting Miller as the one to do that story, LOL. Did you ever see Professor Marston and the Wonder Women?

2 Likes

I totally got that Artemis was rebelling against her Amazon teachings. Sometimes I feel like she’d make a better sidekick than the Donnas and Cassies of the Multiverse. She seems to pop up more frequently at least.

I might do Superman/Wonder Woman at some point, but I’ve enjoyed reading material I’ve never read before.

Ah, I didn’t know that about Phthia (how do you pronounce it?) but you could get that vibe that she’d be coming back.

I’ve always found that cover to be funny! To be fair, I don’t think that’s really Mexican food since it’s a spaghetti taco. Though, the spaghetti is looking quite pale :joy:

1 Like

I dunno, like I said, I really got into Diana as a character first from reading her in Dark Knight Strikes Again, and he continued to write her well in DK3. Her brief appearance in All-Star Batman was…interesting, but I got the feeling that there was meant to be a character arc for her in that series – actually sort of a less extreme version of what we see here in Trinity, where she goes from “men are stupid and obvious” to “men are complicated and have great potential.” For all the talk about how he writes women as “whores,” I feel like he’s created some of the best women characters in comics.

And spaghetti tacos? Ugh, that’s a combo. Between this and chocolate fajitas, this week’s book clubs have been full of strange, somewhat cursed food combos!

1 Like

I’ll have to read more Frank Miller. You’re right though. That subject matter would be dicey, especially in our current era where Batman Damned caused such an uproar.

I hadn’t heard of chocolate fajitas :grimacing: Chocolate ice cream tacos are so good though

I really liked this image of Ra’s. It reminded me of Huntress: Year One where people associated with the Bats, but aren’t Bats themselves, happen to still have that silhouette.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448834776959549460/625758445731053598/image2.jpg

I have to catch up on the thread, but i wanted to get the discussion questions in.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN: TRINITY #1-3
What are your impressions on the villains that the Trinity faces in these issues?
I enjoyed the moment when I identified Ra’s by his unique facial hair. I like this take on Bizarro, not too backward. And to round it out, an iteration of Artemis from the Amazon splinter group.

What did you most enjoy about this version of the Trinity meeting for the first time?
I liked how each of the three issues opened on each of the trinity’s hometowns. I liked how the story progressed with the exposition rectangles (they may contain words, but they ain’t bubbles) and that the voice would change. Sometimes i wasn’t sure who it was and i liked the reveal as i read.

Where there any particular quotes or scenes that stood out to you?
Aquaman
the panel of Wonder Woman bloody and broken after Bizarro’s beatdown
the beginning pages of Superman talking about his abilities
Batman saying he’s never seen the pit “in progress”, only the aftermath

Do you have a favorite origin story for the Trinity?
If you mean an origin of the three meeting for the first time, it is usually the formation of the League when they first meet. I like the label of trinity such that they are the most prominent in the DC pantheon.

WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL (1988-) #1
Which chapter/story was your favorite from this Annual?
It’s a toss up between young Diana diving and the reading of Myndi’s will.

How do you feel about the revelation regarding Julia’s ties to Themyscira?
Officially: meh. It’s more retconning, but it makes her selection as mentor in man’s world a little less random.

Were you content with the outcome of Julia’s/Vanessa’s visit to Themyscira? How does it compare to Superman and Batman’s visit to Paradis Island in Trinity?
Each visit to Themyscira should be judged on its own merits and on an individual basis. With respect to Julia and young Nessie, yes. there was a little more exchange with Julia because she is older, retcon shenanigans aside.

Unfortunately, when the World’s Finest step foot on Paradise Island, it is because something very (very) bad is about to happen. Justice League Action may have the best moment: the three approach Hippolyta and she asked Diana who they are and Diana says, “they’re my sidekicks!”

2 Likes

@AntLeon I noticed Bizarro wasn’t as backwards talking as other versions I’ve seen and that’s fine by me.

I hadn’t noticed that each issue opened with the Trinity’s corner of the world. That’s really cool. I really did like how each location was depicted here. I agree with you about the narration being hard to tell who it was coming from and then the reveal being an interesting part. I liked how many of those narrations could have been attributed to any of the characters in the panel, but once you knew who it was coming from, it would suddenly add a different element to the whole scene.

Aquaman! Him showing up was great and then just leaving was hilarious. I dug his design too.
Batman clearly knew Talia, right? I wonder who he has seen dealing with the aftermath before. Presumably Ra’s, but who knows. Do you think it was Dick that was his Robin in this book?

I like that these three have a name that separates them from the League. It gives them a special place in the DC Universe that they really do deserve for having lasted in popular culture all of the decades that they have. They’re all nearing a century!

I liked how they tied the diving portion back to Diana getting healed by the waters after her fight with Ares.

I wonder if they did retcon that part of Julia’s backstory or if they had it planned out from the start. They at least started hinting at it with Julia’s last name, knowing Greek and being from there.

Justice League Action was way better than I thought it’d be. I hope they make more someday.

@Jay_Kay the word bubble in the WW:Bondage image references an Electra. Is that a Marvel dig?

And my impression on the kiss was more the island than anything else. If there were any residual pit effects in play, it just added to whatever the island started.

@nu52 Unless otherwise directed, that Robin is Dick. And if this is “early in their career” (because being a member of the trinity is certainly a career), the first Robin is a logical assumption. I can get nerdier about it, but i am not sure if i have the time to make the keystrokes.

With respect to Connor, there is also Match of Young Justice s1 as another take on Bizarro.

my favorite BvS moment is when WW is fighting Doomsday and after taking a blow, she smiles before diving back into battle.

2 Likes

I have rewatched that Wonder Woman vs Doomsday fight so many times.

I figured it was Dick, but Batman in this story is already established. He already has dealings with Ra’s and in the animated universe multiple Robins and Batgirl existed before the Justice League was even formed. I was just wondering if maybe he could have been referencing Jason Todd/Red Hood, but probably not.