[World of Bats] Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale

Hello and Welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week, we’re heading back to some of the YA OGNs that was dropped with the release of DCUI Ultra, and we’ll be looking at the story Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale, written by Lauren Myracle and drawn by Issac Goodhart.

When fifteen-year-old Selina Kyle, aka the future Catwoman, becomes homeless, she must confront questions of who she is and who she will become. She rejects human cruelty, but sometimes it seems as though brute force is the only way to “win.” And if Selina is to survive on the streets, she must be tough. Can she find her humanity and reconcile toughness with her desire for community … and love?

LINK:

Reading will run from 2022-11-19T06:00:00Z2022-11-25T06:00:00Z, but if you’re sleeping in an alleyway, you can always come back later.

Looking forward to discussing this story with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

6 Likes

I really enjoyed the art style; it really fits the story.

The story itself is pretty good, I have a couple of minor gripes but overall I think it really works. I don’t like the sentiment at the end that a 9 year old is mature enough to make a life changing decision on its own, but it coming from the mind of a 15(16?) year old in a YA book I get it. The adults in Rosie’s life haven’t exactly been doing right by her anyway..

It was good to see Selina growing into Catwoman; learning parkour, being very independent, etc. It was heartbreaking to see her refuse essentially any attempts to help her, though.

Young Bruce was good to see, too. I don’t know if I buy that he would attend the public high school, but I guess we had to stretch our disbelief a little bit to get him into the story

5 Likes

Glad to hear that about the art style! I won’t say much, but I will say we will be seeing more of it in the near future…

It was, but it definitely made sense, both in terms of character (Selina in the comics has been on the streets and she has a HUGE independent streak almost to her detriment) and in real life cases like this. And really, considering how her first support system in her family seemed to fail her every step of the way, is it any wonder she’s slow to trust in something more healthy?

I could see it going either way. On one hand, I could imagine Alfred wanting to take a young Bruce to the best academy in Gotham. On the other, I could see Alfred watching Bruce doing stuff like making life vows to his parents’ grave makes me think that maybe Alfred thought "this kid needs to be around his peers STAT.

Thank you, as always, for sharing. :smiley:

5 Likes

@Jay_Kay hi. I saw this in the Harley’s Crew thread. I’m making a holiday reading list, is it okay to come back to discuss after I read this

4 Likes

Absolutely! Looking forward to hearing what you think about this story after you read it. Same goes for any of the reading for this group. :smiley:

4 Likes

thank you! I’ll be back. i got promoted somehow and then lost it and thought maybe it was because I used an old thread and that wasn’t allowed, better to ask

1 Like