[World of Bats] Tim Drake: Robin #1-10

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

While Pride Month isn’t until next week, I see no reason not to start now! So we’ll be looking at then ten-issue run of Tim Drake: Robin, written by Meghan Fitzmartin, with art by Riley Rossmo, Serg Acuna, and Nikola Cizmesija.

A mystery over a year in the making takes shape. A new villain who’s been hounding Tim from afar decides to take things up close and personal, putting Bernard and everyone else Tim cares about in peril, and things go from bad to worse for the world’s oldest and canonically tallest Robin (no, I will not be fact-checking that). All that as Tim finally carves out a corner of Gotham City just for himself and sets up shop in his very own…murder-shack boat?

LINKS:

Tim Drake: Robin #1
Tim Drake: Robin #2
Tim Drake: Robin #3
Tim Drake: Robin #4
Tim Drake: Robin #5
Tim Drake: Robin #6
Tim Drake: Robin #7
Tim Drake: Robin #8
Tim Drake: Robin #9
Tim Drake: Robin #10

Reading will run from 2024-05-25T05:00:00Z2024-06-07T05:00:00Z, but if you’re setting up your sweet boat apartment, you can always come back later!

Looking forward to discussing these issues with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

6 Likes

And if you like to read the prelude short stories that lead up to this series, you can check out our previous coverage of the DC Pride: Tim Drake Special here!

3 Likes

Tim Drake? Where’s the downvote button? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@basicallytimdrake

5 Likes

He’s not the character I go to first in terms of the Bat-Family, but I’ve read very few of these and I’m willing to see if it can make a believer out of me.

(Also, I think I’m starting to run low on Bat-family books with queer content, so…DC really needs to step their game up.)

3 Likes

One week left of reading, @WorldOfBatsBookClub!

Let us know what your thoughts are! What do you think of this new status quo done for Tim, his relationship, his new nemesis?

4 Likes

I like Tim’s relationship with Bernard. It seems really loving and supportive on both sides. It’s fun how Bernard figured out about Tim’s dual identity but hasn’t said anything about it because he’s waiting for Tim to tell him

Having all the quirky people living on boats seems pretty cliché, but I didn’t mind it. Sometimes a story needs to rely on tropes a little

I liked the whole thing about the mystery stories inspiring the villain. I felt like something was missing from the Moriarty reveal, though. It just didn’t hit and I can’t really put my finger on why

3 Likes

Read it as it came out…Branard gave me some qualms with the gift he gave Tim being a B. Once the art got better, it became easier to read…but it makes me wonder just when a failsafe happens. but that’s with every batbook.

2 Likes

Yeah, the initial thing going on with Tim’s neighbors and the marina was weird because it was being treated as the lower class being pushed by bougie folk, when living on a boat feels more bougie than just living in a hosue. But I could be wrong.

The thing with using classic mystery stories as set-ups for crimes was pretty cool – honestly, that feels like a classic Batman rogue thing to do.

I think with Moriarty the issue is that there really isn’t a reveal of who he is. Like, at first it looks like it’s Tim’s nice landlord, but we find out that’s just a cover and we don’t actually know anything about Moriarty by the end. I think they were trying to go with a Joker-like thing of him having no real backstory, but I think that only really works for Joker.

Yeah, the “B” was a bit of a funny gift. Like, I imagine that he was trying to get something at the last minute, but all the gifts he could find were all bird-themed and he didn’t want to hint at the identity so he was like “Uh…B! Yeah, that’ll work!” :rofl:

I bristle a little at saying the art “got better” from the first arc, mostly because I do think Rossmo is a brilliant artist, but I don’t think he’s a good fit for this kind of book. He’s been great in recent books like Martian Manhunter, Harley Quinn and Wesley Dodds: The Sandman.

Thank you both for sharing! :smiley:

4 Likes

I agree; however, it kinda felt like Rossmo’s art was used for when Tim had douted himself, and the art changed due to Tim gaining more confidence in himself as Rossmo does change how he is drawn before the artist change…

3 Likes