[World of Bats] Thrillkiller: Batgirl & Robin

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’ll be looking at a recent addition to DCUI’s backlog, Thrillkiller: Batgirl & Robin, written by Howard Chaykin and drawn by Dan Brereton.

When bored heiress Barbara Gordon meets free-spirited circus daredevil Dick Grayson, sparks fly right from the start, leading to a scandalous romance and the reckless decision to become the costumed adventurers Batgirl and Robin on the rooftops of Gotham City! But mere mischief becomes serious business when Dick’s family is murdered, and Batgirl and Robin set out to mete justice on the Graysons’ killers. At the same time, Detective Bruce Wayne is on the job to take down the young thrill seekers and solve the mystery of the Grayson murders.

LINKS:

Thrillkiller #1
Thrillkiller #2
Thrillkiller #3

Reading will last from 2023-04-29T05:00:00Z2023-05-05T05:00:00Z, but if you’ve had the pigs sicced on you while at your watering hole, you can always come back at a later date.

I’m looking forward to discussing these issues with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

2 Likes

I haven’t finished it yet, but after the first two issues I’m enjoying it. The look of the comic feels really unique, I’m not sure if it’s a perfect fit but it almost seems to me like if Norman Rockwell illustrated a comic.

Another thing that stuck out to me is how big the draw Batgirl in this book. It seems like most of the time she takes up more space on the page than Robin and is usually positioned higher in the frame. I haven’t noticed this being the case in other comics

2 Likes

It’s a solid story. :+1:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :00_batgirl1:

2 Likes

Yeah, I kinda get the impression that the artist probably enjoyed drawing Batgirl the most.

2 Likes

Sean G. Murphy borrowed heavily from BG’s TK look when he reset her costume back in 2018.

3 Likes

Eh…kinda similar in the mask and size of the symbol, but I dunno…remember Murphy is the guy who’s Batman knowledge was mostly from BTAS and he actually mixed up the order of Robins when he started writing White Knight. I would be shocked if he ever read Thrillkiller.

2 Likes

He wouldn’t have necessarily had to read it. All he needed to see was a picture of her in TK mode. :+1:

3 Likes