[World of Bats] The Next Batman Origins + The Lazarus Affair!

Hello and welcome to another installment of the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’re going to cover some older material to get ready for an upcoming event! On January 5th is the start of the two month event “Future State,” which will show our heroes taking on new roles in a possible future, and perhaps one of the most anticipated series from it is “The Next Batman,” written by Academy award winner John Ridley! As you might expect, this series deals with a new owner of the cape and cowl, who was recently revealed to be…Timothy Fox!

Now, I know what you’re thinking:

I was thinking the same thing myself, but quickly found out that he is a character that has shown up in the past – but very few, almost exclusively in the late 70s! So let’s take a look at his history – and since his story melds into the epic four part story The Lazarus Affair, let’s go into that one too!

So this week we’ll be covering the first volume of Batman. The issues with Tim in the main stories are issues #313, 323, and 330, the first two issues written by Len Wein and the third written by Marv Wolfman, and drawn by Irv Novek. “The Lazarus Affair” is written by Marv Wolfman and drawn by Don Newton.

Tim Fox Origins

Batman #313
Batman #323
Batman #330

The Lazarus Affair

Batman #332
Batman #333 *Tim Fox shows up in the back-up story of this issue
Batman #334
Batman #335

This rotation of the book club goes 2021-01-02T06:00:00Z2021-01-08T06:00:00Z, though as always if you are from approximately five years into a fascist dark future (or even if it isn’t) you can always come back and share your thoughts.

So be sure to let us know what you think!

For questions or concerns, contact @JeepersItsTheJamags or @Jay_Kay.

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

1 Like

What? Bruce Wayne is dating Selina Kyle? I’m outraged! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, and there’s King Faraday, who’s also on the list of spies in this month’s Characters of DC post!

2 Likes

Yes indeed King Faraday is on my list of spies over at Characters of DC this month although sadly the title he first appeared in, Danger Trail, is not available on DCUI.

And Bruce and Selina dating? How scandalous!

1 Like

Oh, it gets worse. Later in this collection of issues, Batman chooses Talia over Dick! We all know where that’s going to lead… * tt *

1 Like

It’s no wonder that Tim Fox doesn’t trust any of the adults in these issues. Who’s the worthwhile role model here? It’s not Bruce. It’s not Catwoman or Catman or Talia or Falstaff or Two-Face or…well, anyone. Even Robin is fed up with all of the adult hypocrisy.

1 Like

It’s like the old saying goes: Never trust anyone over 30. I know I don’t. I don’t even trust myself! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

Well…the little demon had to come from somewhere

@Jay_Kay A problem for sure. A little sword wielding assassin problem

1 Like

Isn’t that a sort of Robin rite of passage?

1 Like

The real role model was in an issue you skipped: Batman #315.

Yeah, that’s right. Kite-Man.

These issues are full of Robin backtalking Batman. I thought that was something that only the “Bad Robin” did. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

1 Like

@Jay_Kay If you can’t trust yourself who can you trust? Can we trust you? :thinking:

@AlexanderKnox KITE-MAN!!!

Wait Jason was in these issues or did DC trade out normal Tim for DCAU Jay…er Tim here?

There is no Bad Robin here only Zuul.

2 Likes

Ah, these issues are from around the time that Dick dropped out of college and formed the New Teen Titans. Bruce does not approve. (This is pre-Crisis Bruce, who actually graduated from college!)

1 Like

Ah…Well that explains everything then.

1 Like

That Bruce actually had feelings and tried to be a parent to Dick. And Dick.is channeling his as yet unknown little brother’s attitude.

1 Like