[World of Bats] Swamp Thing Spotlight!

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

First off, apologies for being a little late in getting this one out there – work schedule was really screwy for me today. :sweat_smile:

Now, as for this week’s installment, we’re going to continue our venture into the Green, and what better way to do so than to read stories of Batman working with/sort of against the Avatar of the Green itself, the Swamp Thing!

So first, we’re going a little off the beaten path and delving into the classic Alan Moore run of Saga of the Swamp Thing, issues #51-53, with art by Rick Veitch and John Totleben!

Swamp Thing heads to Gotham City in search of Abby after learning of her “crimes.” However, when the courts refuse to turn her over, the creature makes a decision that puts him directly at odds with the city’s Dark Knight protector.

Links:

Swamp Thing #51
Swamp Thing #52
Swamp Thing #53

Finally, we’ll be jumping forward yet again into a well treaded path and reading a one-shot issue of Tom King’s run of Batman, specifically issue #23, with art by Mitch Gerads!

Swamp Thing comes to Gotham City with a mysterious request for Batman—but these longtime allies will have to make up for lost time and work together in order to confront a growing threat that only they can stop!

Link:

Batman #23

This round of reading will go from 2021-04-24T05:00:00Z2021-04-30T05:00:00Z, but of course if you’ve been fighting ancient forces of evil outside Earth, you can always come back and share your thoughts!

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

2 Likes

Howdy y’all.

FN love this page LOL. :rofl:

2 Likes

Abby Arcane, truly the most hardcore prisoner on the block. :laughing:

2 Likes

Moore’s Swamp Thing story is crazy in the best way. It’s one of those stories that warrants more mention in discussions of great 1980s Batman comics.

1 Like

Batman and Swampthing have really compatible vibes. They both have a gothic aesthetic, though I think Swampthing is a bit more moody.

I quite liked the Alan Moore selection. His writing was a little poetic at parts and I think it fits the scene very nicely.

The Tom King story wasn’t bad, but it felt incomplete. I got to the ending and thought, “Oh, I guess that’s it…”

1 Like