[World of Bats] Series Discussion: Robins!

Hello and Welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This is going to be something a little different. Today is the release of a new DC mini-series, Robins, the winner of the DC Round Robin contest from earlier in the year. And since it’s coming first to DCUI subscribers, I thought it might be fun to discuss each issue as they come out!

The five heroes to have donned the Robin cape and mask find themselves at a crossroads in their lives. Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Damian Wayne come together to discuss the big thing that binds them together: Was being Robin, and Batman’s sidekick, the best choice they could’ve made? But before they can get to the heart of the matter, they’re ambushed by an unknown assailant with a bone to pick with them. She claims to have been the first Robin, and she’s out to prove Batman should’ve never trained any of them!

Links to Each Issue:

Robins #1

Since this will be an ongoing issue discussion, I’d suggest blurring some bigger spoilers on the day of, give people a chance to find out for themselves on the, erm, digital page before finding out here. But just know that there are probably going to be more spoilers in this page than just Stephanie Brown.

So yeah! Share your thoughts, your theories, your favorite pages/images, whatever! Looking forward to talking about this book with you guys! :smiley:

3 Likes

I declare a truce between our clubs! The [New to DCUI Book Club] will avoid this particular series although our plan was to add it to our reading today LOL.

2 Likes

Oh snap, sorry about that. Was kind of a split second idea I had. If you guys want to talk about it there, no worries. :slight_smile:

This is a great spot to do it great idea

I plan to check out this very similar Series this weekend as well:

3 Likes

I’ve been reading it since it came out! It’s a fun little series, been definitely having fun with it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sometimes I worry for our macabre writer friend Mr. Seeley

1 Like

I meant to read the book yesterday and did it today well killing time waiting for fandom to start. loving it so far. might as well get caught up on reading a few books I have been meaning to finish.

Ok, I am wondering if we are getting a Crazy Helena Wayne of earth-2 in this or if it will turn out to be Athanasia al Ghul however, I also noticed the shadows on TFR is similar to Athanasia al Ghul… or perhaps bruce has a crazy sister named Robin.

3 Likes

This is maybe my favorite Batman series at the moment. It is nice to see a silly slice of life as opposed to the doom and gloom of Gotham/Fear State.

2 Likes

I am enjoying WFC too, I am hoping for some Batcat moments in it…also kinda hoping Huntress (Helena B) will finally meet Red Hood (when he is not panicking about why the family has been called) as they have never actually met. loved the latest issue.

I really like the writing on this one ( but where is the Batman LOL LOL).

It really does have some of the feel of the Wayne Family Adventure story. I wonder which came first?

I really liked getting the last half of the issue - seeing all of the meta discussion between the Robins of what they think of themselves is really cool, and the setup for the main mystery with Scarab, Obeah Man, and the Diplomat hopefully shows some internal struggles that Steph, Tim, and Jason can work through. I’m also curious where Damian’s going to fit in, since we don’t have someone related to Shrike or anyone, and the Nobody story is already mostly covered in Robin Son of Batman.

What did people think of the voicing for the story? I really liked everyone, though I see some complaints about Jason from some corners of the net. The art is a bit wobbly sometimes, but overall very appealing and fun.