[World of Bats] Pride Month -- Gotham Central #6-10 "Half A Life"

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’re continuing our Pride Month celebration, highlighting some of the great LGBT+ characters in Gotham City by going back a little bit and covering the award winning classic from Gotham Central #6-10, “Half a Life,” written by Greg Rucka and drawn by Michael Lark.

Detective Renee Montoya’s worst nightmare comes to pass when someone posts a photo outing her as a lesbian on the bulletin board of the GCPD, and that’s just the start! Can Renee find out who is trying to destroy her life and why before it all falls apart?

Thankfully, DCUI includes this arc in one handy little link (along with the first arc “In The Line of Duty”) which you can click HERE!

Reading will last from 2021-06-05T05:00:00Z2021-06-11T05:00:00Z, but if you’re caught in a criminal conspiracy, you can always come back and share your thoughts!

Looking forward to discussing this amazing storyline with you guys! :smiley:

2 Likes

And as said before, the World of Bats is teaming up with many more clubs to celebrate Pride Month. In fact, this story is being shared with the Birds of Prey Club, who is also highlighting great stories featuring Renee Montoya, Kate Kane and more!

Their sister club Harley’s Crew is also continuing their look at the relationship of Harley Quinn, both in subtext and out in the open!

And if you want more LGBT comics outside of Gotham, you can check out some of the other great clubs doing things over at the hub of DC Book Club!

Also, while Renegade Robins isn’t in the Pride group, they’re still covering some cool stuff, the “Robin Rises” event that brings the whole Bat-Family together to bring back to life everyone’s favorite lil’ trash goblin, Damian Wayne!

2 Likes

Been meaning to read more about Reene Montoya, loved her depiction in B: TAS, Batman No Mans Land novelization, and DC Black Label’s Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey…although my favorite moment from that book series is The new old new Batgirl Cassandra Cain’s one line in the entire series Guppie. =)

3 Likes

Oh Batman, must you be so paternalistic and condescending to everyone?

2 Likes

Well, it was late 90s/early 00s Batman, so…yes? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, this is really good! I’m not finished with it yet, but I came across the courtroom scene and thought it was funny to imagine that the prosecutor was Charles Barkley in the defense attorney was Jennifer Aniston’s character from friends. Hopefully the thought doesn’t undercut the seriousness too much.

3 Likes

When the theme song says “I’ll be there for you,” I don’t think that’s what Renee had in mind! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes