[World of Bats] Penguin: Pain & Prejudice

Welcome back to another installment of World of Bats, the Batman Book Club! This week we’re continuing our look at the crime side of Gotham by getting a closer look on the consummate gangster of Batman’s rogues gallery and his origins, The Penguin! This week we’ll be covering the mini-series Penguin: Pain and Prejudice, written by Greg Hurrwitz and drawn by Szymon Kudranski.

The painful and dark past of one of Batman’s most devious foes is examined. How did young Oswald Cobblepot go from being the apple of his mother’s eye to the leader of underworld gangs and adversary of the Caped Crusader?

You can start reading the five-issue mini-series HERE!

Let us know what you think in the comments below! :smiley:

If you want to know more about the World of Bats Book Club, as well as see what we’ve previously discussed, click HERE!

Want to join? Click right HERE! Remember, BYOC (Bring Your Own Candle).

If you have any questions, you can contact @Jay_Kay, @AtomJamags, and @Aquamon.

2 Likes

Paging @Reaganfan78!

1 Like

Cool, I’ve read the comic before, you just can’t help feeling sorry for Penguin on how he was treated by his family as a new baby to a kid. I Won’t spoil anything, I really do like the art design.:slightly_smiling_face::penguin:

1 Like

I see that Cobblepot takes dating tips from Francis Dolarhyde.

The art design is great. It feels very moody and creates a gothic sort of tone.

I can’t help but notice that bullying is a recurring theme in this story. There’s Oswald’s brothers, the police officers, the prison guards, and even the way Oswald sees Batman.

Another thing I noticed is that Oswald is frequently transactional in his relationships. Whether it’s him giving jewelry to his mother and Cassandra, wanting to give all those gifts to the nurse, or doling out punishment to the guy that insulted him. Every single action seems to require some response from Oswald. Cassandra is an interesting match for Oswald partly because she doesn’t seem to require anything from him except his time.