[World of Bats] Knightquest Continues! Quarry & Creatures of Clay

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’re continuing our trek through the end of the Knightfall saga by taking a look at two arcs focusing on two different Batmen.

See Bruce Wayne finish his Search for Jack Drake and Shondra Kinsolving in Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #59-61, written by Denny O’Neil and drawn by Ron Wagner and Eduardo Barretto. Then, witness Jean-Paul Valley handle the strange love story of Clayface and Lady Clayface in Batman: Shadow of the Bat #26-27, written by Alan Grant and drawn by Bret Blevins.

Reading will go from 2023-01-14T06:00:00Z2023-01-20T06:00:00Z, but if you’re dealing with the ultimate of back problems, you can always come back later!

Looking forward to discussing these issues with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

2 Likes

I gotta say, the Mudpack issues of this always kinda confused me.

1 Like

Interesting, how so?

Just feels so removed from what I was invested in at that point in the narrative - the Bruce, Jean-Paul, and Tim drama.

1 Like

Yeah, I could see that. I think it’s to give Jean-Paul really sympathetic antagonists to show where he’s at. Also, it is a continuation of a previous plot point that writer Alan Grant did during his run on Detective Comics, “The Mud Pack,” where all the previous Clayfaces team up. If you’re curious about Preston Payne and Lady Clay, we covered them previously in a WOB entry:

3 Likes

I think I remember liking these Mud Pack issues.

Bruce Wayne’s adventures, not so much.

2 Likes

I enjoyed both of these selections but I also liked the Clayface issues more. I’m not sure what it is, maybe just that Asp is cartoonishly evil compared to the more nuanced approach to the Clayfaces. Abbatoir is a little boring to me for the same reason. Bruce going under cover as Hemingford Gray was fun as well as seeing him do some damage with his trick cane

It is interesting to me that Jean-Paul didn’t hesitate this time to save the child

2 Likes

Yeah, the Bruce stuff was actually the stuff I was most curious to read for this, because when I initially read the Knightfall saga in trades a while back, it didn’t include those issues. So, you know, the allure of the new to me and all that. But yeah, those issues were probably the weakest of this batch.

Yeah, that and the bit with Bruce as Gray trying to get arrested was hilarious. :smiley:

2 Likes

My man Azrael is really underrated!

1 Like