[World of Bats/Justice League Book Club] Flashpoint!

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman (and more) Book Club!

For the rest of this month we’ll be doing something a little different – a team-up with the Justice League Book Club as we cover the big universe-changing event Flashpoint! Here at the World of Bats, we’ll be covering the main event, issues #1-5, written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Andy Kubert, while JLBC will be handling all the tie-ins!

Not a dream, not an imaginary story, not an elseworld. This is Flash Fact: When Barry Allen wakes at his desk, he discovers the world has changed. Family is alive, loved ones are strangers, and close friends are different, gone or worse. It’s a world on the brink of a cataclysmic war—but where are Earth’s Greatest Heroes to stop it? It’s a place where America’s last hope is Cyborg, who hopes to gather the forces of The Outsider, The Secret 7, Shazam!, Citizen Cold and other new and familiar-yetaltered faces! It’s a world that could be running out of time, if The Flash can’t find the villain who altered the time line!

Here are the links to the issues:

Flashpoint #1
Flashpoint #2
Flashpoint #3
Flashpoint #4
Flashpoint #5

Reading will be from 2021-08-14T05:00:00Z2021-08-27T05:00:00Z, but if you find yourself trapped in an alternate timeline, you can always come back and share your thoughts again.

Looking forward to discussing this story with you guys! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

7 Likes

And if you’re looking for more Bat-related books to read, check out these fine threads!

First, like I said, this is a crossover with the Justice League Book Club as they’ll handle many of the tie-ins for the story. I’ll post a link to it when it’s up!

Outside of that, check these out!

Over at Renegade Robins, there is a thread continuing their look at the classic Batmanga by [name]. They are also continuing their look at Damian Wayne’s career, going through his solo series “Damian: Son of Batman”!

Over at Harley’s Crew, they have two seperate threads going – one for the first issue of the comic book sequel to the Harley Quinn animated series, “The Eat BANG! Kill Tour”! They have another thread for some of the characters in Suicide Squad, including the DCUI exclusive King Shark #1, the Harley Quinn Road Trip Special, and more!

Over at Characters of DC, for the entirety of August they’ll be covering the character of David Zavimbe, the first Batwing!

If I left anything out, please feel free to let me know and give a shout out. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello there Jay_Kay and the rest of the World of Bats Book Club Tally-Ho. :wave: :sunglasses:

Oh, Flashpoint! :smiley:

One of my favorite events in the DC Universe! :flash_hv_1:

Definitely will look forward to discussing it with everyone. :clark_hv_4:

4 Likes

Great! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hadn’t planned on reading all 5 issues in less than a day, but once I read part 2 I just had to keep going. Starting off, I was pretty sure I had read this before, but once I dug into it there was a lot I didn’t remember. Most of what I remembered was from the movie, actually.

4 Likes

I like the Thomas Wayne Batman (not as a regular Batman, but he’s good for a change up) he’s got a bit of a Clint Eastwood vibe that’s a good match for this world.

Bruce and Barry make a really good pairing and I think they should team up more in their solo series and not just with the League. They are kindred spirits of a sort. The last scene in the Batcave had me feeling pretty emotional with Barry talking about his mom in Bruce reading the letter from his dad. :cry: That sort of thing seems to work on me most of the time, though

5 Likes

Wow, this is my first time reading Flashpoint. It is hard to believe that just saving one person’s life could change things so dramatically. That last scene with Bruce reading the letter from his dad made me very emotional as well.

7 Likes

Well hello there again everyone. :wave: :sunglasses:

Got caught up in running from different timelines, but all looks well now. :flash_hv_5:

So here is what I thought about while reading through the story again. :clark_hv_4:

Flashpoint #1 Thoughts

First, this has one of my favorite covers. :star_struck:

All throughout the story the job that was done on catching the emotions of the characters by looking at their eyes was excellent. :sunglasses: :+1:

One instance is the realization that Barry has that his mother is alive. :pleading_face:

It’s also a fun first conversation between Nora and Barry… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Although, having no recollection of the Justice League or Superman is not good. :pensive:

At least there is a Batman… Extremely brutal, but a Batman is also better than none. :batman_hv_1:

Brutal in the sense that seeing this Batman’s interogation of Yo-Yo being thrown off a building… :open_mouth:

At least Cyborg acts normal as one would think Cyborg would act throughout the story. :0_cyborg:

Oh it was also very creepy of how Reverse Flash was watching everything… :grimacing:

Cyborg also made quite the pitch to everyone to work together to stop the war between the Amazons and Atlanteans. :smiley:

Element Woman is also the best. :grin:

Then finally seeing Barry react to learning it was Thomas Wayne instead of Bruce being Batman… What an ending to the first part! :flash_hv_1:

Flashpoint #2 Thoughts

It was nice remembering that the movie version of this story played out just like the beginning of this book with Aquaman being ruthless to Deathstroke and his crew. :movie_camera:

Also got another look at how brutal Batman is by hurting Barry for answers. :sweat_smile:

Seeing Barry’s memories being altered because of the timeline change was a trip. :dizzy_face:

Nice surprise for Barry in that his Flash ring had the Reverse Flash’s costume instead of his. :face_with_monocle:

Was nice to see that Thomas would do anything though for Bruce. :cry:

Thomas also had a funny reaction to Eobard’s name. :rofl:

Can’t blame the doctor for being skeptical about how Barry became the Flash, and Barry is right in that “they say a lot of things.” :eyes:

What a finale for this book and seeing Barry scroched by the lightning strike! :theflash:

Flashpoint #3 Thoughts

Ah, now we get to see what really happened to Superman this reality… Poor Superman… :superman: :pensive:

Felt sorry for Cyborg in that he didn’t get anymore time from the president to put a team together to help because Steve Trevor was killed and didn’t get a message he had for the Resistance. :frowning_face:

Oh, and seeing Barry recount how Reverse Flash really messed with his life was an interesting read in the Flashpoint: Reverse-Flash tie-in book. :sunglasses: :+1:

Here is another look at how the eyes tell the story. Bruce is the key, also too bad that Barry at this time still thinks it was because of the Reverse Flash. :slightly_frowning_face:

What a shot of Barry finally being struck by the lightning bolt to give him his speed back! :flash_hv_4: :grin:

What a save by Barry as well which the movie also did a nice job in playing out these events as well. :smiley:

Nice entrance Etrigan and thank you for finding Lois. :fire: :rofl:

What a crew The Resistance is. :open_mouth:

It was funny seeing how Barry got his suit back. :joy:

Nice explainer from Barry how altering history works. :dc_history_club:

Sorry computers are slower than you Barry as it would be nice to have one as fast as you. :desktop_computer: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Very nice to see that the Batman mmmrrr is hereditary and a good explanation from Barry about the rules of traveling back in time. :batman_hv_2:

Yes! Time to get Superman involved. :superhero:

It was funny seeing Cyborg shocked at Batman now joining the fight and meeting Barry for the first time in this reality. :joy:

An important question Barry asks Thomas if this reality ever mattered to him or not… :thinking:

Definitely didn’t like seeing how they experimented on Krypto and made him a skeleton! :angry:

I would be stunned too seeing poor Kal-El like this… :flushed:

And just you wait for it Thomas… Superman will show you how powerful he can be. :superman_hv_1:

So nice seeing Superman think that the Sun is beautiful. :sun_with_face:

Not so good that he took off away from Flash, Batman, and Cyborg with those guards left though. :sweat_smile:

Flashpoint #4 Thoughts

Another crazy cover to start this one. :eyes:

Yup… It’s a tough decision for these kids in whether or not to let Captain Thunder have more more round to help end the war… Especially when pizza is involved. :pizza: :yum:

Another excellent entrance by Element Woman! Thanks for helping out Flash, Batman, and Cyborg! :grin:

Thank you Doctor Wayne for helping Barry not to forget Bruce. :man_health_worker:

It’s not everyday when Batman comes to your door and asks for help, and thank you again Element Woman for providing refreshments. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Very interesting conversation between the Shazam kids about having pizza for the future. :crystal_ball: :pizza:

Sorry that Hal was also taken down by a fleet of Invisible Jets from the Amazons. :airplane:

It was good to see Barry explain to Thomas that they have to try and save this world. :flash_hv_4:

Nice of Barry to say that Bruce would have come along and that gets Thomas to join alongside everyone else. :flash_hv_3:

What a sight the war is Batman, and if you only knew the truth Aquaman about the events behind the scenes that led Wonder Woman killing Mera… See the tie-in discussion which I’ll be getting to soon. :sweat_smile:

What a sight it was seeing everyone enter the battle! :star_struck:

It made sense that Enchantress would be the one to betray them all for her “fun.” :face_with_monocle:

And no to Wonder Woman taking out poor Billy! :sob:

Then to finish up this book… What an entrance by Reverse Flash. :anguished:

Flashpoint #5 Thoughts

What a final cover noting how it did all change in this last book. :astonished:

Yes Thawne the world is being torn apart by Barry’s friends… Although at least Element Woman is protecting the remaining kids from harm… Sorry again Billy… :cry:

It’s interesting as it looks like Barry has the same hurt in his eyes as from the first book with this realization that Thawne is right in him being the villain this time. :pensive:

It’s crazy that Barry pulled the entire Speed Force into himself to stop Thawne from killing his mother. :hushed:

These events did indeed shatter history for all the DC characters… :open_mouth:

Ouch to Barry’s pain in remembering what he did to change the timeline. :grimacing:

Also definitely interesting noting why Thawne had never killed Barry. :face_with_monocle:

Thawne being a living paradox… Wow, that is certainly crazy… :astonished:

Thawne would be evil enough to go back in time and kill Barry in Nora’s womb. :scream:

Oh, and Thawne should have known not to turn his back on Batman because if Barry could not hurt Thawne, Batman certainly would! :batman_hv_1:

Good advice Doctor Wayne about not standing still in war. :sweat_smile:

Yeah… No skull trophy of Cyborg for Emperor Aquaman, but a happy welcome to the rest of the Resistance showing up! :grin:

Ah, and the entrance of Superman… :star_struck:

Sorry Enchantress, no more “fun” for you courteous of Superman! :sweat_smile:

And an angry Superman is a scary Superman, but definitely a no to no more war! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Nice of Thomas Wayne to remind Barry what he has to do and being sorry about his mom. :cry: :+1:

Also an interesting read as to why the world was cracking in the tie-in books. :wink:

Good focus Barry in running towards your mom. :smiley:

Now Nora is right Barry. Millions should not have died just for her, and you did get to have a life with her one way or the other. :pensive:

Seeing yourself going back in time is a trip. :woozy_face:

And oh a mysterious figure saying that the three timelines had to be apart for what was coming next… Yikes! :eyes: :fearful:

Then a nice call back for Barry waking up in the same spot as in book 1, but this time being in the right time. :grinning:

Just a Batman working on his utility belt and… Woah there’s Flash. :batman_hv_4: :joy:

Good for Barry to check and make sure it was Bruce and certainly a lot has happened. :flash_hv_5:

Definitely a gift to remember that alternate timeline and all the time spent with Nora Barry. :gift: :cry:

Definitely an emotional scene between Barry and Bruce when he gives him the letter from his father, and what a conclusion to this story. :sob:

Well this was fun looking back at the story again. :clark_hv_4:

I guess you can also see why it’s one of my favorite stories. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes