[World of Bats] Infinite! Batman: Ego & Other Tails

Hello everyone, and welcome to the next installment of the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’ll be going over the trade collection Batman: Ego & Other Tails, featuring the writing and art of Darwyn Cooke, as well as writer Paul Grist, and artists Bill Wray and Tim Sale.

Eisner-award winning artist and accomplished writer Darwyn Cooke’s (DC: THE NEW FRONTIER) iconic imagery culminates in this collection of pulse-pounding stories featuring unique visions of Batman and Catwoman. This volume includes his acclaimed EGO one-shot, the original graphic novel SELINA’S BIG SCORE, and stories from the BLACK AND WHITE series and SOLO.

Note: While this is mostly new material for the club, one story, Selina’s Big Score, has been covered in the club previously, which you can find here:

Ready to read this trove of Darwyn Cooke goodness? Click the link HERE!

Reading range for this book will consist from 2021-02-06T06:00:00Z2021-02-12T06:00:00Z, but of course any and all are always welcome to come back at a later date and share their thoughts. :slight_smile:

So don’t be shy, tell us your thoughts about these issues down below!

For questions or concerns, contact @JeepersItsTheJamags or @Jay_Kay.

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

3 Likes

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these stories!

Fun fact: the headline story of this collection, Ego, was not only Darwyn’s first project with DC Comics (and what a way to start!), but during DC FanDome, Matt Reeves listed it as a specific inspiration for his upcoming film The Batman.

1 Like

A Link to the Comic

Ego: DC Universe

2 Likes

Jeez, can’t believe I forgot the link! Thanks for having my back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just like Katana.

2 Likes

I was going to make that joke, but I couldn’t find a good enough image to go with it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Cooke…Batman…well if you’re gonna twist my arm and threaten me with a good time then fine!

I shall return :thinking: Thursday, yes Thursday. Until then, good day gentlemen.

This gives me those First Doctor vibes:

Looking forward to your thoughts. :smiley:

1 Like

:face_with_monocle: Who is that?

WHO tell me!

Oh, and if anyone is curious, here’s a link to the original “Night of the Stalker” story that one of Cooke’s stories is based on: Detective Comics (1937-) #439

The real question is, Who’s on first?

3 Likes

:exploding_head:

Dude didn’t even need to go to school I would have bought those things from a Mr. Sholl’s

2 Likes

You know, I just finished reading Deja Vu and I wanted to read the story it was based on

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this collection. Ego was quite good, but I think I liked Deja Vu the most. There’s something about Batman being a menacing presence in the shadows and criminals not quite believing he’s human.

2 Likes

“Night of the Stalker” is my vote for best Batman issue of all time.

2 Likes

Same – I remember reading it as a young kid when I was first getting into comics and found it on a trade at the library called “The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told.”

2 Likes