[World of Bats] Gotham Academy #7-12 "Calamity"

Hello and Welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’ll be heading back to school and taking a look at Gotham Academy #7-12, written by Becky Cloonan and Branden Fletcher, with art by Karl Kershl and Mingjue Helen Chen!

Here are the issues and yes, this will be on the test. :stuck_out_tongue:

Gotham Academy #7
Gotham Academy #8
Gotham Academy #9
Gotham Academy #10
Gotham Academy #11
Gotham Academy #12

Reading will last from 2022-01-22T06:00:00Z2022-01-28T06:00:00Z, but unlike most homework assignments, there’s no deadlines for this.

Looking forward to discussing these issues with you guys! :smiley:

3 Likes

I have never read this series before. It was fun to read. I knew Hugo Strange was up to no good, of course. Seeing Kirk Langstrom as a teacher is interesting, although I wonder about his involvement in the “boybat” problem. Clayface’s daughter is great, and I liked Damian’s and Tim’s appearances.

4 Likes

I really, really love Katherine Karlo!

The whole series is really delightful, though in my reread of everything except the Yearbook a few weeks ago, I could really tell when Fletcher took over scripting duties, and Cloonan stopped being as involved in the dialogue. It was still very good, but there was a touch lost.

2 Likes

Glad you liked it! I think that’s one of the more fun things about book clubs like this, to get people to try things that they might not have been prompted to otherwise. :slight_smile:

I noticed you mention that before, may I ask why you skipped Yearbook? I actually haven’t read any further ahead than this – well, technically the Robin War tie-in, which we won’t be covering since we already did with Renegade Robins a while back – and I was planning on doing that arc sometime in May-ish, around the time when most school semesters end.

1 Like

Yearbook is fun enough, but I wanted to see how the whole story read in a row, and Yearbook disrupts the story pretty seriously. It has no real connection to any of the ongoing plot points, and is, in fact, mostly flashbacks or one-offs that don’t matter when they happen.

I think it would be a good idea to do Yearbook in May, for sure! It just didn’t fit my reread plan, which was purely plot focused.

2 Likes

This was a fun read. I think for me Damien’s appearance was the highlight. There was something about his dynamic with Maps that appealed to me and I liked that it was left open ended whether it was magic that bound their hands together or if it was in their heads.

2 Likes

Is Hugo Strange ever up to anything good? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Damian and Maps’s relationship is a true delight. I wish they’d do more of that. Perhaps in the current Batman backups! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Offhand, I can’t think of a time!

2 Likes

I’d love to see that – I think it would be a different dynamic since Damian’s been through way more stuff lately and he also seems to be into someone new in Respawn, but I certainly wouldn’t say no to it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Er, do you mean Flatline?

1 Like

…Yes. Respawn is the Deathstroke sidekick that’s probably Grant. Crap, don’t know how the hell I mixed those names up. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just checking if I’d missed something big in the series :wink:

1 Like