[World of Bats] Gotham Academy #1-6

Hello, Gothamites! Welcome to another week of the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

So, Labor Day has come and gone, and in the past, that usually meant the Fall school season was back in full swing. Of course, it being 2020, it’s…a little more complicated, but let’s go back to school and talk about the first six issues of Gotham Academy, co-written by Becky Cloonan and Branden Fletcher, and drawn by Karl Kerschl!

WELCOME TO GOTHAM ACADEMY! Gotham City’s most prestigious prep school is a very weird place. It’s got a spooky campus, oddball teachers, and rich benefactors always dropping by…like that weirdo Bruce Wayne. But nothing is as strange is the students! Like, what’s up with Olive Silverlock? Is she crazy or what? Where did she go last summer? And what’s the deal with her creepy mom? And how come that Freshman MAPS is always following her around? And is she still going out with Kyle? P.S. Did you hear the rumor about the ghost in the North Hall?! GOTHAM ACADEMY is a new, monthly teen drama set in the shadow of Batman and the craziness of Gotham City, with new characters and old plus a secret tie to Gotham’s past…

Here are the links for the issues:

Welcome To Gotham Academy

Gotham Academy #1
Gotham Academy #2
Gotham Academy #3
Gotham Academy #4
Gotham Academy #5
Gotham Academy #6

So let us know down below what you think! Have you read this book before? What do you think of these books that focus more on the world of the Dark Knight and isn’t immediately following behind his cape?

Since we’re a little late this week (sorry about that guys!), we’re going to be a little more loosey-goosey with the end of this one, we’ll probably have until the end of the weekend until the next one starts, but remember you can always come back and share your thoughts on any previous WOB entries. :slight_smile:

If you want to know more about the World of Bats Book Club, as well as see what we’ve previously discussed, click HERE!

Want to join? Click right HERE! Remember, BYOC (Bring Your Own Candle).

If you have any questions, you can contact @Jay_Kay or @FlashJamags.

2 Likes

Are you planning to do the entire series, or is this just a one-off?

1 Like

I’m definitely open to doing more, especially if the rest of the club is interested. Though next week we’ll get @FlashJamags’s entries, and October we’ll start getting into SPOOKY SEASON. :skull:

1 Like

Finished the six issues earlier today, and I have to say I really like this first arc. It feels like a proper young adult story, with fun characters and a cool mystery, while still feeling firmly in the roots of what we expect from an entry in Batman’s world. Plus it’s just really cool to see what life is like without him around, similarly to the acclaimed Gotham Central series.

I know I’m definitely going to keep reading, and I get the feeling I’ll be hoping for more after it ends. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I liked the story, not as much as @Jay_Kay, but I found the mystery compelling and the interactions between Olive and Maps were fun.

It’s interesting to me this idea of Killer Croc not being such a bad guy. We see him here keeping an eye out for Olive and over in Red Hood and the Outlaws he helps Roy get sober. Anybody know where this idea came from? It’s kind of cool.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it on any level! :smiley:

Outside of what you mention with Red Hood & The Outlaws, we also start seeing this in the weekly series Batman Eternal, which would later show up in other books like this and in Catwoman. Nowadays he almost feels like a borderline anti hero.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, guess what’s coming up after Countdown to Final Crisis, everyone?

1 Like

Was Olive’s mother supposed to be somebody? Maybe I missed something. I got that she was locked up in Arkham and that Killer Croc knew her, but if I was supposed to recognize her it completely went over my head.

1 Like

I don’t think we’re supposed to know just yet. I can’t think of any regular Batman villains who have fire powers. I think it’s a character made up for the series and we probably find out more in the following issues. I know I’m itching to find out! :smiley:

1 Like

I just blitzed the series in a reread (skipping the Yearbook) last night, and would love to do the next four arcs in World of Bats too!

1 Like

Cool! I will say that I’ve definitely been planning on continuing the series. I might just have to bump it up and bring it back soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hooray!