[World of Bats] DK2: The Dark Knight Strikes Again

Of course. We will always be best pals.

2 Likes

What’s even going on with Hal at the beginning of Issue 3? What’s with this new revelation about the relationship between Captain Marvel and Billy Batson? What’s with the jab at San Francisco? Why is Bat-Mite here?!

Superman’s daughter is getting her own fascist urges, while Supes himself is once again a doormat (this time for Bruce). Things fall apart in Metropolis, but things are falling apart even more with Miller’s media satire, which is just incoherent by this point. (The one highlight is the banter between Green Arrow and The Question.)

Meanwhile, we learned that Carrie killed the new Joker (or so she thought). Have we just forgotten about the moral code she was enforcing in the first issue? Not that Batman seems to be worried about killing, based on his interactions with Lex. “It’s a whole new ballgame,” indeed. I think I’ll stick with the classic sports, Bruce.

And then there’s the Dick Grayson thing, which comes out of nowhere. Bruce is a jerk to Dick in the mainstream continuity, but his berating of his former sidekick here makes even the rat-eating stuff from ASBAR seem tame by comparison.

It was a chore to finish the final issue. A real chore.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was an interesting decision with Hal in this universe. It’s odd seeing Hal being so…thoughtful and reserved. I’m used to him being a hot mess. I did love the line of how Bruce, the darkest and meanest of them all, would be the one who had the most hope. I feel like that’s true to the character no matter which universe we’re in.

It’s out of nowhere, but I legit LOVE that final sequence between Diana and Marvel. The way it’s framed, Diana’s grief and Marvel’s acceptance, I thought it was really powerful.

Miller’s a New Yorker and it’s a bit of cross country rivalry? :man_shrugging:

I figured that was just another kid doing reporting on what’s going on who’s dressed up as Bat-Mite, sort of like how we had “Black Canary” and “Batgirl” and “Wondergirl.”

“No killing – unless it’s The Joker. ■■■■ 'em.” …I can kind of understand that one, TBH. :rofl:

Yeah, there are things about this series I do legitimately like, but the thing with Dick at the end…it just doesn’t work, at all. It feels really extraneous and just doesn’t add anything to the story.

Sorry about that, but as always, thank you for sharing your thoughts. :slight_smile:

3 Likes