[World of Bats] Detective Comics #957-962 "Deus Ex Machina"

Hello Gothamites and welcome to the latest installment of the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’ll be heading back to the Rebirth era of Detective Comics with issues 957-962, written by James Tynion IV with Christopher Sebela on 957, with art by Alvaro Martinez and Carmen Carnero on 957.

The links to all these issues can actually be found in a handy-dandy storyline collection which you can find HERE.

And with this week’s reading, I want to bring something back, and that is a Discussion Question!

Rather inadvertently on my part, this past month has had an interesting theme linked to it. Between Bane coming to Gotham to take on the Batman (complete with his 90s goons in tow), and Azrael becoming twisted and corrupted by his programming, both stories seem to be adapting or reinterpreting the classic event Knightfall. What do you think of these different takes on aspects of this event? Is there anything the new stories do better, or is the original still superior?

Also, let me know if these kinds of questions is something you’d like to see continue!

This reading will last from 2021-11-14T06:00:00Z2021-11-19T06:00:00Z, but if you’re busy breaking the Bat-Signal for he umpteenth time, you can always come back later.

So tell us all what you think of these issues down below! I’m looking forward to discussing these issues with you all! :batparrot:

1 Like

It’s a testimony to my love of Tec’s Rebirth-era Bat-Team concept that I’m not totally bored by a story about Azrael and the blasted Order of St. Dumas. I’ve never been into Jean-Paul’s backstory, but this arc is still fairly entertaining.

1 Like

That is interesting – I wonder if it’s the more sci-fi approach they take with the order and Azrael’s “possession?” I would say that’s probably the big difference between the two.

2 Likes

I think it’s just that there are enough characters to balance out Azrael. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s fair – I think this arc really sells Azrael and Batwing as being best bros, which is a combo I never thought would be cool but really is. It’s kind of got a similar dynamic to, say, Wolverine and Nightcrawler, which makes sense since Tynion has said in the past that Detective was him doing an X-Men run but with Batman characters.

2 Likes

This was a fun arc and I really enjoyed it. The blending of religious zealots with high tech is a choice I wouldn’t have thought to make, but it really works here. Jean-Paul’s conversation with Bruce at the end made me chuckle a bit, he’s got a little bit of wit. The Bruce- Zatanna connection was nice, I was thinking the whole time that he should have called her Zanna, like in the animated series, but I guess Zee is what they’re going with.

I don’t really feel like I can make any comparisons with Knightfall as I have not read it in its entirety, but I will mention what I think the last two selections did well. I am Bane did an excellent job of making Bane feel like a true threat to Batman and seeing him go through Arkham like the T-1000 after John Connor was really cool. The conclusion was a bit of a letdown after that with the “because I’m Batman” headbutt, but the arc overall was good.

For the Deus Ex Machina story, it was neat to see the scenes inside Jean-Paul’s head.

2 Likes