[World of Bats] Detective Comics #950-956 "League of Shadows"

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week is sadly the last installment of our deep dive into the character of Cassandra Cain, this week returning to James Tynion IV’s run of Detective Comics #950-956, “League of Shadows,” with art by Eddy Barrows, Christian Duce, and Marcio Takara.

Here are the links for this week’s reading:

Detective Comics #950
Detective Comics #951
Detective Comics #952
Detective Comics #953
Detective Comics #954
Detective Comics #955
Detective Comics #956

This week’s reading will go from 2021-05-15T05:00:00Z2021-05-21T05:00:00Z, but of course, if you’ve been imprisoned by by a group of extralegal vigilanties for trying to defeat a group of killer ninjas, you can always come back and share your thoughts.

And that’s to all of you as well! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this different yet similar take on Cassandra. :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

1 Like

And if you’re looking for more things to read:

First, I want to shout out a new project I started this week. With it being the 15th Anniversary of the release of the weekly series 52, I decided to start a 52 Book Club, where every week we go through one issue of the acclaimed series, so join us!

Also, the World of Bats is still doing a Casefile on the classic Batman arc “Hush.”

Renegade Robins is continuing its look at the aftermath of Damian Wayne’s death, and the last arc of Jason Todd’s ongoing title.

Harley’s Crew is going back to Harley Quinn’s first ongoing solo title by going into issues #20-29!

And the Birds of Prey Club is continuing its month long look at other Batgirls, including Cassandra Cain.

And if I left out anything else, please let me know!

Happy reading!

2 Likes

Every time I read this series, I’m reminded of how much I prefer these characters in a team book rather than a solo series. I wish that this idea had been employed after No Man’s Land. In other words, this is what Batman: Gotham Knights should’ve been.

I especially love seeing Cassandra learning the concept of art through dancing.

2 Likes

This is, I think, an underrated arc. Partly, perhaps, because of how it seems to be setup for other arcs (which I would probably argue happened in Batman and the Outsiders, though I think Tynion still would like to do some of it himself).

2 Likes

It’s a fun arc. The idea of Cassandra enjoying dance becomes she learned body language as a first language feels perfectly in character.

I didn’t care for the fact that Batman didn’t know about the existence of the League of Shadows early on, but they did explain that.

2 Likes

That was definitely a neat addition – a body language that doesn’t involve harming anyone, but instead to express yourself. Kind of surprising no one had thought of it before (at least I don’t think they had – I haven’t read all of Cass’ Batgirl solo).

Yeah, there’s been a bit of a habit of Batman not knowing of any secret societies lately, hasn’t there? At least they give a decent explanation – and a way to evoke/use Identity Crisis stuff without actually assassinating the character of Zatanna! Yay! :smiley:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :slight_smile:

3 Likes