[World of Bats] Batman: The Man Who Laughs

It had been a while since I read this story and I have to say I think it holds up. First off, the art here is great – Doug Mahnke draws a mean, creepy as heck version of Joker, and I liked the steps we see of Bruce doing some proper detective work and figuring out who The Joker could be.

I hadn’t heard of this one, but I’m gonna have to give it a read. I will say from the the description that the issue you link to doesn’t sound as…serious? Like, something about Joker’s cousin Melvin…

Understandable – those are very hard to beat!

You’re welcome! I could totally see Dick doing that – probably at Titans Tower with the rest of the group in various degrees of shaking their damn head.

Definitely agreed on the pacing – when given almost three times as many allotted pages, they do a good job of expanding the story without too much filler. The duel narrating also evokes the classic Batman: Year One.

Hah, it’s all good. :smiley:

If you’re looking for more Batman from Brubaker, we also covered back in July an Elseworlds story he did called Batman: Gotham Noir.

It’s also drawn by the exquisite Sean Phillips who is a frequent collaborator with Brubaker, especially on his Criminal series.

3 Likes