[World of Bats] Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #127-131 "The Arrow & The Bat"

Hello Gothamites to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

First off, to everyone who celebrates, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! :smiley:

Now, because of a certain other character getting his/their own new show on a certain other streaming service – :00_hawkman::eye: – I’m in a bit of an archery mood, so I thought, why not pull out this one? Plus I had this in mind for Arrow’s finale and/or Green Arrow & The Canaries launching and I passed the first and the second likely isn’t happening. So this week I think we’ll be reading Legends of the Dark Knight #127-131, “The Arrow & The Bat,” written by Denny O’Neil and drawn by Sergio Cariello!

The Arrow and the Bat’ begins with a tale from earlier in the Dark Knight’s career, revealing the first meeting between the Bat and the Emerald Archer, Green Arrow!

Here are the links for the issues here:

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #127
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #128
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #129
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #130
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #131

Looking forward to discussing these issues with you guys! :smiley:

6 Likes

I really enjoyed this story. Alfred’s sarcasm was on point, and it was great to see Batman become an admirer of Oliver by the end. It was good to see Ollie get his mojo back!

4 Likes

Oh, I see that World of Bats is getting back to Legends of the Dark Knight. About time! :wink:

And no, I’m not counting Haunted Knight. Those issues weren’t numbered! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Hey, we had that Mike Mignola issue during that week with Haunted Knight!

3 Likes

Anyway, this is exactly what I’d expect from Denny O’Neil: a globe-trotting Batman going up against absurd Asian stereotypes. But now with more Oliver Queen!

3 Likes

Yeah, I was just reading the first issue earlier today and I saw the reveal of the villain of this and I’m like “What fresh Fu Manchu hell is this?” :rofl:

That sequence does have one of my favorite moments ever. “You will be safed.”

4 Likes

Hello World of Bats. A while back I noticed there wasn’t too much activity and said I’d like to participate, then I fell off. So much was happening I didn’t have much time to get to anything. I am currently reading the Knight Fall series, I am nearing the end. I am on Knights End and just reached the face off between Bruce and Jean-Paul. I am going to take a pause from that and check out these issues. Looking forward to this.

2 Likes

This was a fun read. Seeing Batman and Green Arrow team up was cool and O’Neill did a good job contrasting the characters. Sometimes Green Arrow is portrayed like Batman-lite (mostly thinking about Arrow) instead of the cocky, liberal- leaning hero he is. I thought that Ollie being completely unable to shoot because there’s another archer better than him was a bit silly, but I suppose it emphasized how important confidence is to the character.

I’m not sure if this was the first to do it, but these issues definitely had the idea that Bruce Wayne is a character that Batman puts on and not the other way around. It’s an interesting idea.

3 Likes