[World of Bats] Batman: Gates of Gotham

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week, we’ll be taking a look at the miniseries Batman: Gates of Gotham, written by Scott Snyder and Kyle Higgens, with art by Trevor McCarthy.

When a mystery as old as Gotham City itself surfaces, Batman assembles a team of his greatest detectives to investigate this startling new enigma that explores different eras in Gotham’s sordid history!

Luckily, DC Universe Infinite has compiled the entire five issue mini into one handy-dandy link which you can find here:

Reading will last from 2022-08-13T05:00:00Z2022-08-19T05:00:00Z, but if you find yourself in the absolute WORST traffic jam, you can always come back later.

Looking forward to discussing this story with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

5 Likes

Ah, the proto-Court of Owls. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It’s weird for me to see Dick as Batman since he’s graduated from being a sidekick into his own hero, Nightwing. The series as a whole is pretty good, but I guess I don’t see how it would be substantially different if they had Bruce do more than make a cameo at the end. It just struck me as a strange choice.

The flashbacks into early Gotham were interesting and I liked how the colors changed for them. The idea of the Waynes being involved in some shady business felt like a neat way to undermine the expectation that all Waynes are paragons of virtue and pillars of the community. I was disappointed that they backed off of that. A morally ambiguous ending would have worked better, in my opinion, than steering everything back to Arkham.

1 Like

Yeah, I forgot that this took place around the same time that Dick was still Batman. I don’t have a problem with it, but I do wonder if there would be more impact if Bruce was directly involved in a story that involves his family.

1 Like

Is this story meant to be in the main continuity?

I think the story would have hit harder and probably worked better if Bruce had at least been involved.

1 Like

Snyder balanced it out with Court of Owls, a Bruce-centric story which deals with how Dick was nearly turned into a Talon. :wink:

1 Like