[World of Bats] Batman: Endgame

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

First off, my apologies for the slight delay – had a sudden invite for a family event that took me away from the computer for most of the day.

But anyway, for the next two weeks, as part of October, we’ll be looking at the creepy but action-packed event “Endgame,” with the main issues in Batman written by Scott Snyder and drawn by Greg Capullo, with tie-ins from writers and artists like James Tynion IV, Branden Fletcher, Brian Buccalatto, and more!

Here are the issues:

Batman #35
Batman #36
Batman #37

Batman Annual #3

Detective Comics: Endgame #1

Batgirl: Endgame #1

Arkham Manor: Endgame #1

Gotham Academy: Endgame #1

Batman #38
Batman #39
Batman #40

And if you have the Ultra Tier of DCUI, you can read these digital trades:

Reading will last from 2023-10-08T05:00:00Z2023-10-20T05:00:00Z, but if you can feel something in the air that just makes you want to laugh…and laugh…and laugh…and laugh… You can always come back later!

Looking forward to discussing these issues with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

4 Likes

Somehow, Joker has returned :wink:

I’m not super up on the plot of New 52 Batman. It seems like Joker was presumed dead? Or something?

I’ll reserve my final judgment until I’ve read the whole arc, but 2.5 issues in I’m not loving this take on Joker. It really feels off when he’s not showing any hint of playfulness. The whole tone feels way too serious

3 Likes

Yeah, this takes place a while after the events of Snyder’s previous Joker story, Death of the Family, which I covered a few years back, and at the end of that story it seemed like Joker fell from the face of the earth and hadn’t been seen since.

2 Likes

I appreciate the refresher. I read that story and totally forgot about it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

At least he has a face in this one. There’s that.

3 Likes

That he does! And I love how the whole “face off” thing gets resolved in some of the most elaborate comic book ■■■■■■■■ possible.

In fact, the more I think about it, I feel like Endgame and the rest of Snyder’s run on Batman is a transition from him doing these more creepy, horror-action books to the more over the top, super-superhero and meta stuff he does in Metal, Justice League and Death Metal.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the tie-ins and the annual more than the main event. The annual was super creepy and Joker felt more like himself, menacing but also a little playful. The Gotham Academy tie-in was also great, it reminded a little about the Batman: the Animated Series episode where the kids share stories about Batman.

2 Likes

I could see that – the tie-ins were definitely fun. I remember really liking the Batgirl one, especially for it’s clear and expressive art, very necessary for it being an almost silent issue.

2 Likes

I hope I wasn’t the only one a bit confused by the ending. Partly I didn’t realize that what was in the dumpster on the last page was the deus ex machina harness from the theater.

I did find this IGN article where Snyder and Capullo discuss the comic and explain the ending a little: Batman Team Addresses THAT Twist in 'Endgame' - IGN

2 Likes